Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 Chevrolet fleetmaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Jun 9, 2013.

1. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

Had to go look at my 41 before I posted that earlier. Mine are chrome. Learning as I go and learning a ton of it here on HAMB. Now I'm just disappointed I don't get to put the red accents on mine.:(

Thanks

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Gallogiro,
    The bowtie is a medium blue.
    El Jefe,
    Your 41 has the most "red striping" of all Chevys of the 40s. The grill, the bumperguards, the long side trim, the door handles, the taillight trim, the parking light trim. The 41 has a lot of red.
    As for the Chevrolet badge on the hood, the ones on the side, the area around the letters is painted body color, example, if the car is blue then that area around the letters would be the same color blue. The Chevrolet letters are polished stainless and the 2 stripes are painted red, as well the the 2 stripes on each hood vent holes, and the long stripe atop which follows all the way to the back.
    Now the front badge is painted the same way. The stripes are red, the area around the letters is body color and the letters are polished stainless.

3. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

Yeah I was looking it over last night after reading your post. There is a lot of red and when it gets re-painted and the trim is restored it's going to look bad-ass. Gonna save this post for when I redo the trim. I was gonna post a request for info on all that and now I don't have to.

Thanks!

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

El Jefe,
    Yes, it will look really nice when restored. I was looking at your photos of the 41 and the car was originally black, so I also noticed the front hood badge having black paint around the Chevrolet letters and that's exactly was I was pointing out about that area being body color. No paint on the letters.
    Also, 41 has a lot of one year only accessories like a steering wheel with a built in spinner, one year fog lights, fender skirts, Shark tooth beauty rings. All 41 only.

5. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

Mine has none of the above. This appears to be the protestant farmer base model. I think they might have even plowed fields with it.

I'd love to have the spinner steering wheel but I can live without the rest. I don't like the shark's teeth. At least not on this car. I'm a bit of a traditionalist plus I think the soul of this car is in its plain elegance.

I hope you'll subscribe to my build thread and keep an eye on my (slow) progress. I can use all the input I can get.

6. gallogiro

gallogiro

yea jefe, hes right 41 is a bad ass year. still has 30s accents but a 40s car so its very elegant. do you have a thread on yours?

and thanks jcmarz for all the info, picking up on all of it.

its funny how just cleaning the windows gives it a different appearance. o and the visor is on for good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now, you guys know what time it is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and after today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tomorrow morning prep, primer, let the primer dry for an hour then sand flat. and then spray the base coat and let it dry overnight and in the morning so that I can roll the woodgrain print by Thursday night, toner Friday night and clearcoat saturday

7. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

8. gallogiro

gallogiro

hell yea woodgrain party, and a big one ;) headliner came in, ordered it from chevs of the 40s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this curve is why I couldn't make it myself too much of a hassle
    [​IMG]
    prepping
    [​IMG]
    whole lot of woodgraining coming up, except for the two discs, those are going to be painted white theyre my 59 bumper kit face plates
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gallogiro

gallogiro

sanded and ready for basecoat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    theyre smooth now, feels silky so ready for basecoat tomorrow

10. gallogiro

gallogiro

this is the basecoat I used. I have no idea if its chromabase or not. I just gave the counter guy the color codes and he gave me this 30 min later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its a 1:1 mix, or 50/50 mix with this
    [​IMG]
    and is now base coated
    [​IMG]
    the discs are white basecoat theyre the face and backing plate for my 59 bumper kit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and backs too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my paint department
    [​IMG]
    and my baking/drying area
    [​IMG]
    the whole outside windows and all of this, this is how much is left of the basecoat quart
    [​IMG]

11. gallogiro

gallogiro

and now basecoated ready for the woodgrain print
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now its time for woodgrain print. also got the belt and window trims ready to mount back on
    [​IMG]

12. Looking good! I hope your using a respirator with that stuff your'e spraying!

13. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

14. gallogiro

gallogiro

ooo yes, I know of isocyanides or whatever theyre called, I even wear it when im just mixing paint. I got the good one, double cartridges. the way you know its working is cause if you hold up the can to your face you cant smell the fumes. anyone going here tomorrow? its going to be good im going for sure

[​IMG]

15. gallogiro

gallogiro

went to that show today, it was great. the only thing I would want more than any classic car is one of these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. gallogiro

gallogiro

17. gallogiro

gallogiro

I finally found 4 5/8 fog lights to replace my busted ones. I got lucky, found some working 12 volt originals and are sealed beam. now I was able to put my fog lights on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and I got these for the interior, was as gift from a homie of mine out in LA. now my interior is complete and ready to pop in after woodgrain
    [​IMG]

18. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

19. gallogiro

gallogiro

I subscribed to it, hell yea!

started around 2, finished at 7 that's how long it took to do all of it. in some parts the print is alittle lighter than others, but the toner makes it all one solid shade and hides all the blending so its fine. still needs toner, not the shade its going to be. will be two tone and two types of woodgrain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. gallogiro

gallogiro

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Woodgrain is looking good. Watch out for termites.

22. gallogiro

gallogiro

o yea =b I paid 450 for it, and today it felt good to put away for a while the kit. I did all the woodgraining I needed done and needed it for. definitely worth the money I paid for it, less than half of what they charge to get woodgrain done just for the inside. I got ahold of a woodgrainer to get a quote for what I did the outside windows then the inside trims what I did today. he told me for the outside it would be $1200 cause its on the outside of the car and needed more clearcoat =/ interior would be $1000. so im happy, saved almost $1800. hope I get to use it again soon, id take jobs right now to do it for others but I want to focus on my cars first and finish them before I work on anyone elses. I have friends that are very talented with cars, but are so busy building other peoples cars whether its paid or not cause theyre friends, that theyre own cars aren't done they don't have time for them. but as of now feel good I got that done and out of the way finally

23. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

Looking good.

I was quoted $1200 just for all the standard 41 dash and window bezels. I think I'll order that kit.

24. gallogiro

gallogiro

o shit, well the guy that quoted me his work isn't top quality but looks ok itll pass. he doesn't use a kit he uses brushes. if you were closer id say just come over with some beers and carne asada and well bust them out here. but yea the kit is worth it

waiting one more day to let the ink dry good so I can put the toner on. for now I did this to kill some time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

windshield, ill replace later. its to replace one that has a bb gun shot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

theyre all rolled up, clear now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. gallogiro

gallogiro

26. gallogiro

gallogiro

27. cmarcus

cmarcus

Looking sweet brother!

28. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

When are you gonna take that damn green tape off????

29. gallogiro

gallogiro

after I wet sand and polish the clear coat on the woodgrain to get the orange peel off and make it pop. if I take the tape of the polisher can go past the clear coat on to the flat black and actually shine it up, don't want that want it flat. you can polish flat paint to gloss, that's why you cant really scrub that hard or that much that type of paint if you want it looking satin and that's why they sell special wash for it like wizards or rat rod flatz

here it is with toner. still looks bland but all woodgraining is done the toner is on and is now drying. in 2 days clear coat or tomorrow if its really hot in the morning. but right now it still looks bland but trust me the clear coat will make it POP, just like it did my windows

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]