Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot rod shops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildbill29tudor, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

So my girl informed me that if I decided to get a job in a hot rod shop and relocating away from va, what shops do y'all no of on the east coast or in the Tennessee or Kentucky area or any where near there?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Just a thought, from a lifetime of watching people try to get jobs.

Work on your spelling. Work on your syntax. Work on your punctuation.

Why, you ask?? Because, if you are going to be looking for a job, and doing so on the internet (as you just did here), you WILL be judged by how you present yourself. And it doesn't look good so far.

And most of all, work on making sense. The first half of your rambling sentence makes no sense at all.

Let's try THIS:

My fianceé and myself have decided to pursue a dream of mine; to make a living building hot rods and custom cars. We would like to stay in the immediate Tennessee/Kentucky area if possible. Perhaps so far as the East Coast. Does anyone have contact with a shop or shops who may be looking for qualified personnel? Please contact me via PM.

Which person do YOU want dealing with your customers??

Yup, I know it's not fair, but no one has ever stated that life is going to be fair. YOU need to provide your own breaks in this life.

Cosmo

P.S. Don't tell me I'm raggin', this is just the unpolished truth. Like it or not, you cannot deny it.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cosmo said a LOT better than most would have.

5. mechanic58

mechanic58

Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

Goolsby Custom Bessemer alabama....great group of guys ...and bad ass cars

7. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

No I wouldn't say that, because you are right. I wasn't being very formal about it and I often don't use proper punctuation. It's not that I don't know how, more so that I wasn't trying to be formal. I was just asking about the shops people knew of in the listed areas. I did completely leave out part of what I was trying to say there. I meant to say she would be ok with me getting a job in a hot rod shop and relocating. Thanks for your constructive criticism.

8. I'll only add two things here:

1) The second response made you appear a LOT more intelligent than did the first.

2) You only get one chance to make a good first impression. Always try to look your best whenever mentioning a job. You never know who may be looking in upon you.

Cosmo

9. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

You have a good point. I will definitely keep that in mind.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so you are willing to relocate. have a bunch of $$ in the bank to cover bills while out of work? what type of work are you doing now? do you have a reputation where you live now as being a top notch builder/fabricator? or are you looking for training? if you do find a shop that needs workers how do you figure to get your foot (boot) in the door? have a resume' that you plan to send to them? have a good answer as to why you want to move? possible employer might look at your moving as good or as a drifter kind of thing. girlfriend have a good job now in the type of work that is needed most everywhere? ETC

11. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

This is the most mature and responsible attitude to a proper criticism I have seen on here . I felt the very same thing after reading your intro .You wouldn't have gotten in the door at most shops that I know of .Like what has been said , there are many on this board that are fellow shop owners possibly looking for future employees that would have simply deleted your post .

Think about the extremely high unemployment rate among the black youth and the poor .It has more to do with education than anything.

12. Spelling or not,do you have the working knowledge needed to be a asset to a shop? HRP

13. what skills do ya have. there are several in the Al, Tn Ga, area. JHRS , Bobby Alloway, Greening auto, Goolsby Customs these are just some of the more well known shops there are several other shops. My friend has a small shop in Hayden Al. Gammel street rods, he always complains that he can not find skilled workers or folks that can just show up regular.

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Try the Rolling Bones shop.

15. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

To neither pile on nor pick on anyone, I have an observation. It seems the first post was done from a phone, which is very common and popular these days. We old farts have been accustomed to reading full sentences and proper syntax, so seeing the shorthand from phone missives is like hearing nails being scraped on a blackboard (yet another reference to my age) and often confusing. Although this forum is pretty informal, Cosmo is correct in that you never know who might be looking at your posts.

Sorry I am not in the areas you are looking for, but good luck with you search.

16. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

I do have a good reputation where I live for being a good mechanic and body guy. I have attended two technical schools for mechanics, metal work, and fabrication. I worked in a restoration shop for a little over a year. I am not an expert by any means, but I can do most any thing I put my mind too. I am also very open minded and up for learning different ways of doing things. I am a good welder and can also use most tools for fabrication. I would like to learn to use an English wheel, as I haven't had much practice with that.