Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howdy from Houston

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by silverjk, Jul 20, 2013.

1. silverjk

silverjk
    from Houston

Howdy all,
    I've been lurking around for a while now and decided to finally register. I don't currently own a classic car, but I grew up around them (49 willys, 64 f100, 52 MG TD kit car) and have always wanted a HotRod. I did a modern hotrod 2001 F-150, and was really involved and enjoyed the car scene. I sold that truck over 5 years ago and have been out of the car scene since. My wife also missed the car scene so I got the green light to get a project going. I'm currently getting my garage cleared up for a project and I have my list of potential vehicles down to 24 different vehicles (front runners are 48-56 Ford F1, or 52-56 Ford Customline). I look forward to learning from everyone here. I'm looking to spend around 4-6k for my project car which hopefully will be running or at least very near to it (i'd like to put around for the rest of the summer before doing much).
    There is a classic car/Hot rod swap meet coming up here in Houston, is that likely a good place to get a car? (or at least a connection to get my car?)

Thanks in advance!
    SilverJk

2. dad-bud

dad-bud

Wow, howdy there silverjk
    Sounds like you've got enthusiasm to burn there............... and, have you come to the right place!
    There's plenty of cars in the Classifieds - your pocket will tell you if they're right for you.
    Enjoy your time here on the HAMB
    Cheers.

3. rockguy92

rockguy92

Welcome from Ohio.

The Rock

4. Welcome from CT!

5. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

welcome from houston. mac

6. welcome to the site .....

7. silverjk

silverjk
    from Houston

Does the swap meet seem like a likely place to find a good project? I've been scoping out Hemmings, Ebay, Craigslist, etc. trying to find a good project within 250 miles of me and although I've found a few things that would work, it is pretty slim pickens.

8. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

Welcome from Austin.

I shop the Craigslist in Houston and have found good buys on it. You can look for listings that are 4-6 weeks old and hope that the seller is getting tired of trying to sell it on craigslist.

9. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Welcome from Houston. I've gotten 2 of my 3 cars from craigslist within the past 3 years. The other I found in the greensheet 11 years ago. I highly suggest craigslist. It seems to be the most popular selling medium.

10. silverjk

silverjk
    from Houston

Dallas seems to have more 40s/50s model fords on craigslist currently. I actually might have a line on a 1964 F-100 (family member just has it sitting in storage), so i might end up with that if it works out.

11. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Welcome from NC!

12. aldixie

aldixie

Welcome from Deer Park Tx