Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch Ford gear change in progress advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Jul 24, 2013.

1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Hey all

Pulled my pig from the rear and separated the yoke and split the two pieces of the guts and pulled the pin and the spider gears.

Sadly, when I went to install the mini spool, I quickly accepted that I have a 28 spline axle rear and not the 31 spline locker I purchased (anyone want a 40 dollar minispool for a 31 spline 9 inch Ford?) 20 bucks plus ship.

I ordered the correct minispool and I have the crush washer and I bought a dial indicator from Harbor Freight for when the time comes (10 to 13 thousandths, right?).

Anyway, I took out the slobby 300 gears and I am waiting to stuff in my 411s with the mini spool. Any suggestions regarding what I might look out for or note when putting her back together?

A couple questions:
    1) Can I use just blue sealer without a gasket when placing the pig back together?
    2) Does it matter to use the old punch pin for the larger pin that locks the two
    axles to make one?
    3) How hard is the steering on turns on the street on a very light car
    (1800lbs)?
    4) How much gear oil does a 9 inch pumpkin need and which oil and numbers work best?

Thanks ahead of time for all response,

Pork

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

#1 yes......#2 the pins should be the same...#3 might suck....about 3 quarts or until it runs out the fill hole...

3. 55shoebox

55shoebox

Use the "right stuff" sealer comes in a sqeeze tube or caulking style tube - best stuff for sealing. Stopped using gaskets years ago. Spool on the street = hard on axles.

4. Someone actually started this thread a couple of years back but almost no one responded even though it is a common question how much does my ???? Hold. I guess no one knows.

5. #1: get a gasket, they're cheap and if you use the proper copper washers under the 10 nuts, and everything is clean when you assemble you don't need sealer. Plus you have proper alignment on your axles, given that your housing is straight and true.

#2: No clue.

#3: Should suck to drive. That is what you're going for, right?

#4: capacity varies quite a bit. Had a few 9" that barely took 2 quarts, some that would take over 3.

As for the questions un-numbered above, used pinion gears need to see 5-10 INCH POUNDS of torque and gear lash should have been measured before disassembly but probably safe around 7-10 thousandths of an inch.

6. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

On a light (1800 lb) car you will hardly notice it EXCEPT for the different handling
    on corners when slightly under power. You need to keep a bit of power on through the corners. It's like dirt racing, you help steer with the throttle.
    I drove my street roadster for about 20 years with a locked 36 Ford rear end and it was big fun. It went through the snow much better also.
    As for tire wear, it depends a lot on how you drive. In any case, you can live with it
    if you like to really DRIVE the car.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are the gears new?
    Are you installing new bearings?

8. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Gears are light used, will not do new bearings, but new axle seals and the mini spool.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Set your pinion bearing preload at 6-7 inch lbs.
    set the back lash at .010.
    Use your original pinion shim to start with for checking the gear pattern.

10. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

11. n847

n847

^^^^^This guy!
    [​IMG]

It just takes a little throttle to help it turn...LOL

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

You marked the caps as to which side they came off of right? I drove my Fairlane on the street with a mini spool for 14 yrs without breaking anything. [well...I did break an axle once during wheel hop showing off] .That was my fault though. I did scuff the tires pretty good though from turning corners.