Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diesel oil in your old car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Safari, Jul 22, 2013.

1. 57 Safari

57 Safari

Hi Guys Lots of talk about zink additives no longer in new oils, anybody run 15 40 diesel oil, it has all the additives needed for flat tappet engines.

2. 5CHERO8

5CHERO8

Yes, I run Rotella in my flat-tappet cars. If I'm lucky, sometimes I can even find 10W30.

3. I run the non synthetic 15/40 in all my older vehicles.

4. George

George

In case you haven't heard of "Search" it's @ the top, shit loads of Threads on this. Oh, you're new. Welcome aboard, Did you do an Intro?

5. flynfrog

flynfrog

also new Diesel oil does not have the zddp that you need.

6. George, the search function is crap on this site... everything else is top notch, but that search is not friendly !!!!!!!!!

SpikedLeatherworks likes this.
  7. mechanic58

mechanic58

Yep - I also run Rotella in anything I got with a flat tappet cam.

8. 57 Safari

57 Safari

Yes I have introduced myself a while back, just not posted much, I did search "diesel oil" and got not replies.
    I don't know what you mean " zddp "
    Well I'm going to put it in my '67 Pontiac 400 engine anyway and I'll tell you how it works.

9. Internet

Internet

run it in everything I own! (stupid cheap from my bulk storage at work)

10. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

I use Delo 400

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have to agree. In my experience, the best way to search this site is actually to go to Google, and type "HAMB" after your query, ie: "juice brakes on Model A Axle HAMB". The on-site search "function" is non-functional...:D:rolleyes:

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Highly recommended

[​IMG]

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's zinc, not zink. Searches here work better when the spelling is correct.

ZDDP is Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate.

14. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

You can find some modern oils with enough zinc. What you are looking for is something with over 1000 ppm and 1300 ppm would be even better. I think the quaker state Defy is advertised as having more zinc. Amsoil also has an oil with high zinc levels.

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Here is the Defy oil site:http://www.quakerstate.com/#/motor-oil/defy I have about a 1,000 miles on my daily driver with this oil and the car seems to have gained a little pep and also a little annoying oil drip stopped after about a week.The 302 Ford in my '54 has 15W40 Motorcraft Diesel it has 300 more ppm ZDDP than the new Formula Rotella one thing about the Deisel oils some have very high amounts of detergent which is not a good thing in a gasoline motor the Chevron Delo 400 mentioned above is actually a good choice as it is one of the lowest in detergents and has a good amount of ZDDP as does the Motorcraft both about $16 for a 5 Qt jug at Wally World or Autozone.

16. jmpowie

jmpowie

They sell zinc you can add to any oil.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look up the MSDS sheets on any oil you're considering and it should tell the chemical make up. Rotella T has like 1200ppm according to the sheet I found on it. Sorry, no scans...

18. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The ZDDP additive is the way to go, allowing you to use the brand and weight of your choice. Plus you don't have to keep researching the MSDS to determine who's got what, as they're always changing.

20. Lucas makes an Engine Break-in Additive that has all the ZDDP in it. I keep a bottle of that in my garage and add 6-8 oz to every fresh oil change I do in my cars. Then I use whatever oil I want.

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The zddp has been reduced in the new diesel oils for use in late model diesels which have a sort of cat converter OEM, some oils are formulated with one type for the newer engines and another for the older ones. Others have simply reduced the zddp and continue to market just the one diesel oil.
    But another caveat is that diesels turn much lower rpms than gas engines, especially gas engines modified for more power. The oils intended for diesels may not have as effective an anti foam additive as an oil intended for gas engines, there could be more foam and aeration using the diesel oil in a high rpm engine and air doesn't lubricate an engine very well at all.

22. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have heard that Rotella T no longer has the required amount if zinc that it used to have.

23. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Funny...do some real reading/studying..don't just believe all this hearsay, myths we hear.
    As mentiond by one or two....diesel oil is ALSO low on ZDDP, as compared to its predecessors..! Actually, not much better thAn "car" oil.

I've been using Castrol GTX, 20-50 and a bottle of Lucas oil additive for years in my "daily driver" Stude (flat tappet cam) for almost 100k miles now...and odd as it may seem...no oil related problems....!
    The cam and lifters are just fine.

Mike

24. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Throw in a bottle of Com Cams break in additive to your normal oil and you're done...

25. woodypecker

woodypecker

CI diesel has much more zinc than CJ. Unless you find old stock CI is only sold in 55 gallon drums. A lot of cam problems were from counterfit lifters. Find an addiive and then use whatever oil you like.

26. Truckedup

Truckedup

There are some lubrication experts saying adding ZDDP supplements to existing oil can upset the complex additive package and make less protection,not more.
    There is so much bullshit about oil and ZDDP it's really difficult to keep up.
    Based on my personal experience with the five flat tappet Jeep 4.0's in our family,all high mileage and one with 360,000 miles,high levels of ZDDP ain't needed in these lumps. I do use high ZDDP oil like Brad Penn or Valvoline ZR in performance engines and bikes.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Why would anyone pay the $8-$10 a bottle for zinc additive, plus $4.50-$5 a qt. for oil, when you can buy brad Penn that has zinc in it, and made to use with older engines? Brad Penn is a little over $6 a qt., so you'll save at least $4-$5 per oil change.

28. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I do the same as Mike W. I use 10w40 Castrol GTX and a bottle of Lucas Zinc additive every change in my flat tappet sbc's. The 5qt. container is just over $15.00 at Walmart and I pay $9.00 + change for the lucas at a local parts store. It's available but a little higher at Autozone. 1971BB427, I'm not familiar with Brad Penn oil and haven't seen it on the shelves. I've used Castrol GTX for over 20 years and have just been trying to stay with it.

29. kismyss

kismyss

I agree with 1971BB427 Brad Penn is specifically designed for your flat tappet cams. I comes from the oldest refinery in the U.S. in Bradford Pennsilvannia. About six bucks a quart in about any weight you like. And you know the stuffs coming from right here in the USA! You never now what your getting out of the other guys. They also make engine assembly lube with zinc and engine break in oil in 30 wt. It was the old Kendall oil they just changed names.