Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sealer question on poly tanks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choprods, Jul 22, 2013.

1. I usually have some hair brained solution for a way to do almost anything that you are not supposed to do, but I finally painted myself into a corner of sorts, so I am asking for helpful suggestions here.....
    Here is the dilemma of the day-
    I have a Poly gas tank for a project[mine],it has to have a -in tank-[FI] fuel pump mounted.
    I have made an opening in the top for the pump,and have made a mount plate with three fittings[pressure fuel//-return fuel// wire loom].
    My problem is this mount plate is[round 4" diam] 1/8" flat steel,and it will mount on a flat surface with 12 screws.
    unlike a factory made poly tank, mine is the textured surface where this mounts and not a milled flat surface as one would be manufactured for this purpose.

WHAT SHOULD I USE AS A SEALER BETEEN THE TANK AND MOUNTPLATE?

IS THERE ANYTHING CAPABLE OF STICKING TO THIS POLY SURFACE,THAT IS GAS PROOF?[TANK IS IN TRUNK]
    WAS THINKING A THIN RUBBER GASKET ALONG WITH A SEALER?
    ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. Try the rubber gasket and some good real stinking Permatex.let it set up before you fill the tank.

3. THANKS 325w, the plate seems to be real solid and fits well, with all 12 screws in place-I guess it all boils down to the sealer being REALLY gas proof....

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Back when I was working for Exxon Research, we used to use a sealer called "Gasoila" to seal up leaks, or hard to seal fittings (like stainless). Worked great!

5. Hi Chopolds,good ta hear from ya,Never heard of that sealer,wonder where it is available?

My concern is also that in a manufactured tank they have installed thread bungs in the poly tank and this relying on the screws holding in the plastic tank itself.
    with the close proximity of the several screws[coarse sheet metal type screws],it should be pretty solidly held in place.....

6. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Hello Choprods. My 36 5-window basket case, came with a new poly tank. I am apprehensive about using the poly tank and am thinking of ditching it in favor of a steel tank. What's your general feeling about poly vs steel gas tanks?

Thanks,
    Joe

7. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

"Gasoila" is available at retails stores that sell gas station equipment/supplies things like gas nozzles, hose etc etc.
    You should be able to search for it online and find someone
    that can sell it. Used it alot when I was younger and worked
    in the Gas Station Maintanance for mostly Sunoco.

8. A few years back I had an issue with a Fuel Cell. I couldn't get the stock cap receiver to tank to totally seal. It didn't leak it just wept enough to stink and leave a stain around the filler. I tried a lot of stuff including Permatex #3. All they did was add to the mess. Finally I used the only sealer I've found to seal exhaust on Alum. race heads. I get it at the Chrysler store. It is an RTV product but made just for Chrysler and has a Chrysler part #. It is Mopar gear sealant #82300234. It's pretty amazing stuff. I never us gaskets any more for 3rd members or headers to head. Use it spairingly
    The Wizzard

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

10. thanks guys, all good info........
    On the tank /choice subject, the gas we have now with the alcohol is capable of absorbing and creating moisture in a tank.
    in extreme cases of long storeage the inside of even a galv coated tank will rust above the fuel level if setting partially full a long while.....

The steel /galv coated tanks will condense more than a plastic tank.
    so in our use of old cars we tend to set a lot and that is where the problem is worst.
    I lean to poly tanks myself but.if a daily driver that does not set hardly any a steel stank will be OK......