Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help with my 51' Pontiac

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by TheChief51, Jul 18, 2013.

1. TheChief51

TheChief51
    from Lordsburg

I'm looking to do a drum to disc conversion on my 1951 Pontiac chieftain sedan. Cant really find a complete kit anywhere, so im wondering what kind of parts I can pull from other cars? or if anybody knows of a company that makes any front end drum to disc kits? any help is much appreciated!
    -TheChief51

2. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Chevy conversion should work, try the usual places.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. TheChief51

TheChief51
    from Lordsburg

i had bought a 5 lug GM conversion kit from summit, and everything would have worked. The problem was the spindle, completely different sizes. So I guess if I can find a chevy with similar spindles my problem would be solved... :confused:

Attached Files:

4. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

5. TheChief51

TheChief51
    from Lordsburg

right on, I'll check it out! thanks man

6. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

ours does fit - but you need 1971 or later wheels...

7. TheChief51

TheChief51
    from Lordsburg

thanks that helps a lot, im sure ill be ordering my kit shortly. Also good to know about the wheels, I was under the impression id be able to use my originals..

8. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Will vintique smoothies or gennies work for the replacement too?

9. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

If they fit 77-96 GM full size wagons yes they will

10. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

Hey man, I have a 51 chieftain myself. I bought the brackets at scarebird then bought the remaining parts needed and it wasn't all that expensive either.
    Two things though, the info they have on our stock rims is wrong, we do have 5 x 5 rims. Also, there is a spacer they need to make for the spindle to space the calipers correctly. Just email them about it, they'll ask you to make your spindles.

11. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

:confused: we've always known full size Pontiacs are 5 on 5 not sure about what you are saying in the last statement - please clarify.

12. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

Sorry, on scarebird's website they list in their instructions that the wheels need to be changed to a 5x5, but as I found out of course I have 5x5. I emailed them and let them know so they might have changed it by then.
    Their measurements for stock spindles weren't correct too, so they made new bearing spacers for me, and now that I think about it, said and done they gave me different brackets which may have been accidental in the beginning.

13. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

I just went to the scarebird site and it has had a face lift since I've been there last. There was an area that had instructions, I'm not seeing it doing a quick look over. I emailed through the contact us back when I was doing the conversion and needed help, and the guy I emailed back and forth was cool and helpful. His name is Mark and is quick with returning emails and answers.