Register now to get rid of these ads!

I wanna see pics of brush painted cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Oct 5, 2010.

1. This is now officially my favorite thread on the HAMB.

Almost all of the cars are just over-the-top cool.

I can remember seeing the report of Jacobs painting that tub with a brush and yelling "YES!!!" out loud in my house.

It was the beginning of the end of the pastel billet street rod era.

2. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

I must say I am thoroughly impressed with some of your cars. Brushing is not really my thing, but on a few of these cars its just perfect. Sort of a survivor look without the obvious fake patina thing. Super cool!

Your converse are not shop shoes. Buy boots.

3. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I guess you can't tell these guys that 'it's not traditional' because...they are starting the tradition!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Well, if that roadster was mine, I'd paint it with a BRICK and touch it up with a BROOM!!!

5. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

hah fucken ken you funny boy,
    we cant all drive what you do :p

6. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

This whole truck was done inside and out with a brush (actually several different brushes..)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mace69

mace69
    from mass

8. SteveClary

SteveClary

How interesting. I was thinking about high density rolling the outside of my pickup today. I did the inside of the cab and it was not bad. It's on!!!

9. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Steve, If you must use a roller go with a SUPER HEAVY KNAPPY WOOLY 9 incher. Just pour a quart or two in the pickup bed and work your way out. After it cures-out give one of your famous 'BUZZ CUTS'. Then wax as usual. Yep, KNAPPY. What color you going with?

10. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

11. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Wow, this is an interesting thread. It's making me reconsider my plans. Thanks for the sweat inspirations and ideas.

Love the black and white photo of the dude wearing his wool knee pants, gloves and black tie. We dont even dress up that nice to go to Church!!

12. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

Not sure how I missed this thread but I think it is now in my top 3 favorites on here. Very fascinating to me.

Also, the link to the guy who did the Corvair was super informative.

Great, great read.

13. simon g-s

simon g-s

Brush painted this, more out of need and a thin wallet. Starting to flake in places as the prep wasnt good as could be and it was snowing. At least I can enjoy it and not worry or waste time polishing.

Attached Files:

14. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

Great thread, I remenber in the 70s and early 80s a lot of brush painted cars. They all looked like crap! The best one was a kid I went to school with had a 65 Impala that his mom painted with a brush. Must have been one cool lady.
    These brush jobs you guys are showing look great. The best part is the money saved. Paint jobs are so out of sight for poor slobs like me!

15. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

16. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Man does this bring back memories! My first car was a 65 Impala, it had the worst paint brush job, but man did that 327 go!

I think I might try the brush or roller technique on the wagon!:D Great thread!

17. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

As a daily driver only vehicle owner of a '49 Chevy 1/2 ton I can't go into the market worrying about a 10K paint job. Don't get me wrong, love those cars even if they are carried to a show in a covered trailer. But, I don't have the mean$ and don't need the anxiety of a perfect paint job.

Thank you to all for providing acceptance and inspiration as well as technical input.

Highest regards,

Cosmo

18. kingpins

kingpins

looking through this thread has completely convinced me on brush painting. im sitting here thinking about how to afford painting my model A pickup a plain black....then i open this thread and all the cars that ive been looking into for ideas and some of the top cars that i love are here and brushed painted!! i had no idea. my truck will def be brush painted now...thanks guys

19. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Painted this with a foam roller and can of rustoleum from Home Depot. Looked great and laid flat. I was out of work at the time and its something I always wanted to do. I would never do it again becuase painting a car with compressor and paint gun are waaaay easier... but at least I can say I did it and it looked good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

alanp561 likes this.
  20. ljones44

ljones44
    from Atlanta

Model A roadster, body brush painted, fenders sprayed.

Attached Files:

pecker head likes this.
  21. dad-bud

dad-bud

What an awesome thread - brushin paint on old cars sure is traditional, and can produce brilliant results - way better than one would expect.
    Cooool - opens up lots of possibilities.

22. I had an older gent tell me today that back "in the day" paintbrushing a Hot Rod was the norm and this thread seems to back what he said up. Interesting.

23. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

To the top... Lets see some more

24. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few for starters. The four door '32 Chevy is a brush repaint done by a pro in 1980 and it took over a month with all the stages that had to be done. The others are old but I still have a brush painted '33 REO Speed Wagon fire truck on my property.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

25. fanspete

fanspete

Here's a twist...anyone tried to roll/brush a 'flake job? I'm thinking of brushing the F250 but I want to 'flake the roof...

26. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

YEP imgonna brush or roll paint the top insert on my coupe. now to descide on the color......................

27. My great uncle brush painted (two-tone no less) my moms first car, a 54 bel air. Every one of them I see I have to check the roof to see if there's a green splotch where he laid the brush on the white top when he finished..

28. Sometime in the distant past before I bought it my 55 ford was brush painted with olive drab army paint. I like the original turquiose. They didnt sand it or nuthin. It looks like crap:eek:. Its starting to fall off. Oh well maybe that brush job somewhat helped to perserve the car:confused:.

Attached Files:

29. Anyone have more info on this car?

30. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

What brands and types of paint would work best for trying to get a gloss finish on a truck.

Are you applying the paint with a foam roller or just how are you doing it.

One last question How many coats are you applying?

This thread is very interesting and many seem to product decent results.

Jimbo