Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valve stem measuring .335 but closest locks are .342

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awsomeears, Jul 12, 2013.

1. awsomeears

awsomeears

I'm going to be ordering new retainers and locks for my heads, from summits list I can see the following sizes

.342 ( there are 165 locks on summits, most used I'm guessing )

My micrometer on all of the valves say .335

I'm measuring the stem, not where the single grove lock is

If it matters I'm using Howards brand as that what my cam is as well soon to be ordering springs

Any help would be great :D

2. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

The .342 locks (11/32) should work fine. I used to see undersized valve stems at the machine shop usually accompanied by thin wall bronze guide liners used by a lot of head remanufacturers back in the day (maybe still?). If it's not wear you're measuring, they are probably .005" undersize valves.

3. awsomeears

awsomeears

Hmmmm I wouldn't think wear there all the same size... I'm 90% positive there original to the edelbrock rpm heads

4. krooser

krooser

Why not call Edelbrock and ask the guys who built 'em?

5. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

Yeah, you're probably right about the wear:D. I didn't know what heads you had.

Could you're mic possibly be off? It would be strange for Edelbrock to use a goofy sized stem like that.

6. awsomeears

awsomeears

Well I would think if my dial caliper gives me a # and there all consistent I'd just have to match it up to whats available. But..... the numbers don't match up whats available :D

So yes I may just call them :cool:

Or my dial caliper is Junk, I'm going to test it out on some drill bits to make sure its right on the $$$

Well I just checked my paper work on the heads online manual and they do ( stupid me ) just part #'s

part #9611 locks are .342 or 1 groove 7degreee

So yea I'm a moron, ohh well at least I can admit when I'm blinder then ray charles !!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013