Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there any love for a 42 ford 2dr sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Jul 11, 2013.

1. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I had this 42 thrown if to sweeten a deal on another rig I bought, I know the running gear is pretty desirable for traditional hot rods, but I hate to part out a car that might be what someone is looking for. And it does have a title.

It's not my cup of tea, and it is rough, but I have fixed worse.

What do you think, Saver or just a parts doner?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. belair

belair

it's an early 42 if those are the original bumpers.

3. I'd save, looks too nice to part out.

4. historynw

historynw

Clean it up and post some more pictures it looks solid except for the rear....I put a entire side in my 47 Chevy from early accident damage along with front floors and a right door....there is a plethora of stuff for 42-48 Fords.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Looks very saveable to me. Appears the engine and trans is gone. So is the deck lid. Probably more suited to a hot rod or custom car project than a restoration, although I am sure someone can use the chrome.

I can see it reborn as a late forties style full custom, or a fifties style rod.

If you can look at a body that old with that little rust on it, and wonder if it is worth using, you are spoiled for choice.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Put it up for sale and see what happens?:confused: What else? Surely not scrap and projects have started with less.

7. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Oh I suppose i'm looking for a logical reason(read; Excuse) to pilfer the running gear, I just have a moral problem with destroying someones idea of usable hot rod/custom.

Would you think that most peole doing a full fender project like this would update the running gear anyhow?

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd stir the pot and make it all Chevy.:D

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

If it was for a customer thats probably what I would recommend:p

10. Looks like a builder to me. HRP

11. I'll second that motion. :D

12. Pull the powertrain and then donate the shell to me:D

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You mean the engine and trans are still in there? Why is the front sitting so high?

I would try to sell it with the engine in place. If they buyer did not want the engine I would buy it back, or sell the car without engine for a lower price.

You never know, the 42 Ford is a rare car. If someone wanted to restore it, it would be a shame to strip out the engine.

14. I'd spend a couple days on the back end to straighten it out, you'll have a good looking solid builder, and easier to sell.

15. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

no engine or trans

16. looks like something bit the trunk lid off. I've saved worse. We're Hot Rodders, we can do anything.

17. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

One thing about it the pictures do seem to make it look better than it is, Hard to see but the rh door and the panel behind it are caved in pretty baddly.

18. 296ardun

296ardun

I had a friend in high school who ran a 41 or 42 Ford tudor with a 3-carb olds, kept the hood off, painted it baby blue...dropped it way down in front...one of the coolest cars at Pasadena High School, '61....so there is hope for your car, yes, lots of work replacing lots of rusted out stuff, but like others have already said, we're hot rodders, this is what we do (of course, it's not our money either!!)

19. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

To any one here in Canada that's a keeper! Try selling it the way it is. I've seen a lot worse turned into a project.

20. PackardV8

PackardV8

Just don't put any money into it. A friend here built a '42 tudor with a SBC 305"/350, tilt wheel - really nice driver' the kind most of us need, but no one wants. He tried to sell it and couldn't get squat for it. No, there's no love for the '41-42.

jack vines

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

22. Rob68

Rob68

Save it. I love the sedan bodies. They look good when done right.

23. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

They stopped making them Feb 10th 1942 so save it.
    I have one I'm working on and love it.

24. Squablow

Squablow

I've seen sedan trunk lids sell for $50 so they aren't hard to come by. If you want that suspension and axles, I'd say take that out, put a trunk lid on it and try to bang that fender out so it doesn't look so shitty, then sell it as a project body/frame with a title.

The guy who wants that doesn't care if it has the original axles and springs in it, so if you want them, keep them. I would think you could still get $700-$800 for the body/frame/title even without any suspension on it to a guy who'd build it as a rod.

25. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

SAVE IT! It has a title which is a great plus in some states, like here in Wisconsin and it is not in that bad of shape for an old car around here. The one poster that said no one will want it doesn't know the car hobby or enthusiasts very well, around here with our salty winters, that would be a prize find! Any car that old has fans!
    DO NOT CUT IT UP!!!;)

26. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

maybe not in Washington but around here there will be a lot of love for that car, esp if it fixed up hot rod...:D

27. SAVE IT PLEASE! You can use any Body, axles and springs part forma 46 FORD to replace the damaged rear end! disassemble it just to fix the rear, re assemble it with the minimal bodywork as possible and Put a Flathead 8BA/8CM+ good gearbox (maybe 2 o 3 carbs), some nice gauges and simple seat covers..and RUN IT!

I have a 42 coupe... and I am doing it! People be scared with the impressive look... its a simple car..but is very distinctive to other ones.

Also you can put a saying in the bory: Chikens' trap!

hugs from Brazil! Rod.

28. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Just as an update because the thread came back up on it's own, Had it on craigslist, the hamb and e-gay still no takers at $600 bucks for the whole car! So I'm thinking that answers the question of if there is any love for 42 sedans:cool: