Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 Buick Riviera - the build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snake hit, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Hey all,

I purchased this back in 11-20-10, the guy I bought it from got it for $3,500 from the original owner said it was parked by a tree last driven in 1977 ( reg tags date) and he resurrected it cleaned it up put $2000 in parts and his own labor, but did not register it. So you could say I am the second owner. He wanted $8500 for it I got it for $ 5000. He said tranny and engine 425 were rebuilt but could not show any receipts so thats why i only gave him $5000 for it. Well to make long story longer I started getting it running , added full exhaust system 2 1/4' glass packs and two in two out flowmaster camaro type muffler. After getting it running and registered I noticed a rumble at about 3000 prm. So I decided to take her apart romoving the engine and tranny which BTW were origianal to the car. This car had every option except it wasnt a GS. I noticed that the flex plate was on wrong that was causing the rummble issue. With that fixed I decided to take the full plunge and take the whole thing apart and stat the transformation on the body. A few things were observed, the engine was a fresh build pistons were .30 overbore and fresh galley plugs and freeze plugs, new drivetrain and the ST400VP tranny was checked out with also a fresh rebuild, so i just added a trans go shift kit checked the switch pitch selinoid and called it good. well at this point the body has taken the transfomation being shaved added factory bend electric moonroof and poppers and entry system for the doors. Car has been stripped down to bare metal with 80 grit all body parts and rust cancers were stitch welded and shaped straight as a bullit befor appliyng poly primer blocking straight and laying down the PPG DBC Vivid Black and Gunmetal grey metallic, and hand pinstipping red. Time for the engine work pulling off the heads and polish and porting and matching done by myself. Also porting the 1966 q-jet mainifold and exhaust manifolds. had them ceramic chromed bought all the aluminum bling valve covers spark plug covers, valley pan and the air cleaner. Had a custom grind Isky cam done up and will start to put together. I have alot of pics so I will be adding some here and there. I will start with bringing it home in its raw form. Then show you the progression. Hope you all enjoy and any imput and criticism is welcome Please!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    fms427 likes this.
  2. Good luck with your build. I love the old Rivys.

What style are you going for?

3. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

I am going with a custom lowrod style, having problem with pics but here goes.

[​IMG]

4. robertsregal

robertsregal

Sound nice, look forward to some pictures!

5. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Here is another pic bringing it home 11-20-10

[​IMG]

6. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Dammit I can only figure out how to set a pic individually, guess I will have do it like this till I figure it out, this is the block and I purchased these .20 overbore TRW forged pistons but can't use them since I am .30 overbore anybody looking for unused TRW forged pistons with TRW ramco rings still in the box, they haven't been made in over 20 years. image.jpg

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When you go to post, scroll down and click "manage attachments". You can post 7 pics at a time.

8. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

This is the factory bend moonroof I had installed, they get a used GM electric moonroof from a Cadillac , Lincoln or Monte Carlo , I got the 38 " they cut the roof at 37 inches hook up some template jigs then start to chisel around causing a crease then start bending down this calling it a factory bend. Install was real clean and looks like that's the way the car came. Opens electrically with a GM switch and gas a sliding cover on the image.jpg

9. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

In the photos the Rivi was taken down to bare metal with 80 grit, took off the old 40 year old bondo and fixed all the rust cancers by stitch welding in piecesgetting it as staright as possible.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. eightbanger

eightbanger

Looks like you have a pretty solid car to start with. Keep the pics coming, nice score!

11. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Originally I had stripped it of all chrome, bumpers,trim ,clamshells and emblems.I marked how this was going to be painted with Vivid black on top and Gunmetal grey metallic on the bottom and all the corrections of rust and whatnot. My daughter decided to get into the build, I told her to mark certain areas for repair but kids have there own agenda.She really loves this car, the day I brought it home she had me show her that the clamshell lights were working.

12. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Removed the glass, there was alot of water damage and rust cancers in the sail panels , trunk and window chanels. These are very common to rivieras

13. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Everything fixed properly, All emblems, antenas door handles filled except for the trunk tri-shield emblem, this how I will be able to fix any lockout or power door entry problems, gave this alot of thought.

14. BIBS AUTO

BIBS AUTO
    from New Jersey

I have a white one in my lot if anyone is interested. email me and I can send you pictures. The car is nice but needs some TLC

15. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Body filler and prep time lay down poly primer thick 2 coats

16. eightbanger

eightbanger

Very nice! What did you do to the exhaust manifolds to make them look so nice? jet coated?

17. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

There is a place in Vernon Ca. called Enginered Aplications. Ceramic chrome looks like polished aluminum and thermal bearing omn the inside. Intake was $80 amd exhaust manis were $180

[​IMG]

18. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

I always loved those Riv's, well except for heater cores !! If you have any questions about the AC let me know...

19. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

Very cool! '65 is the year to have.

20. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Hoop98 what's the deal with the heater core and. Yes I will change the stock unit ancor with a sendan 508 and I guess POV what is needed, what will it cost and the best set up for a more modern with keeping the original controls and blower.

21. love those old Rivieras,btw,is Max fine with his image for your avatar?

22. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Haven't heard from ol Max, so I guess it's OK, the real answer- is GM OK with Max Grundy making money off their design, and is Bill Mitchell rolling in his grave of all the hard work he put into the Riviera that put Buick in the fore front. I'm not making money off this. Max is!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  23. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

This will be the inspiration and color theme for my build, This is my 1995 FLSTN it's almost 20 years old and I get a lot of compliments on the stock paint. The color Combo looks great and the paint has held up really well, so I decided this is the durability that I want for my Rivi, the paint Harley used was PPG DBC and PPG DCU2021,. Harley Vivid Black and Gunmetal grey is the paint scheme I am going with, but I will go opposite and put the Black on top and Gun metal grey on bottom, black looks great on the top lines.

image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  24. Nice! Good luck on your build.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Time for paint, this was in Dec 2012 PPG DBC Vivid Black and Charcoal Satinbright 4 coats and PPG 2021 DCU clear 5 thick coats block color sanded applied brush red pinstripe then 2 clear coats over the pinstripe.

View attachment 1980948

26. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Better picture

image.jpg

27. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Veteran pinstripper Bob Coslet laying down the artwork on the prepped blocked and color sanded paint, he makes it look all too easy!

image.jpg

28. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Door jambs too and with my name on drivers side

image.jpg

29. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Another door jamb shot before my name was added, the reason why I had the pinstripe in the jambs slant down is so I can continue the stripe inside the panels to separate the leather color combo of Black & Mouse grey with red line deciding it . The pin stripe will also follow on the dash to the console where it will also be two tone.

image.jpg

30. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Had Bob sign his work and outline the truck tr-shield emblem. This will be the only emblem on the car since it is red white and blue , Looks really cool and is my insurance to locked out doors or power issues , will have a back up battery in the trunk with a button to open drivers door and jumper wires if there primary battery dies.

o image.jpg