Register now to get rid of these ads!

Post Bonneville - the Way Home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Jun 24, 2013.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Word of caution. I had the chance to ride my motorcycle from South Carolina to Sturgis then link it to Bonneville in 09. It too was on my "Bucket List". The damn problem is I can't seem to check it off, because my ass itches every year in August to go back. Not sure you can ever get "enough".

With that being said, use sunblock everywhere, bring a full brim hat of some sort, take a camera and be prepared to walk around with a shit eating grin the whole time.BE SAFE

3. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Saw your car at heavy rebel, very cool! I noticed you had TomT in your entry form, good idea.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Tom,
    Counting down the days on this end also/ See ya in a few weeks.

5. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Tom T, Bonneville will get in your blood. I've only been twice but a real experience each time. Just this morning while walking into work, I heard a loud bike passing by on interstate 44 about 1/2 mile away. For a nano-second I was at B'ville listening to a "pass". Enjoy the trip-it will last you a lifetime. Sam

6. So, I do believe we have our entire route planned with the Bones portion you know from their post. 40Ford1, who is riding shotgun with me, and I are pumped about going - we can't wait ....

To start, we'll meet up with the Bones on the way out @ the Erie, PA lunch stop listed above.

Unless this cannot be done for whatever reason, we'll be stopping @ Speedway for the afternoon museum tour on Aug 5th - we'll catch up with the Bones again that evening.

For our trip home we will leave Wendover on the 15th of August early early, heading for the HAMB Drags in Joplin, MO, perhaps stopping @ Pete and Jakes if time permits, getting to Joplin in time for the Friday night (16th) festivities.

We leave Joplin on Sunday and hopefully tour Starbird's museum that day.

From Starbird's, we will follow Rt 66 up to St Louis and perhaps beyond, depending on time. I've bought the Rt 66 maps so we take in as much of the original roadway/route and keeping off of the interstates as much as possible We will meander our way towards home at some point, stopping by to visit the Iron Lords in Concord, NC on our last night on the road.

From St Lou we have 2 plans - if time is short, we will probably go through Paduca, Clarksville, Nashville, and Knoxville, TN, Ashville, NC and then on into Concord. If we have more time, we'll mosey on up to Speedway, IN, catch the speedway museum and drop in on Bubba's Ignition. From there we'll go south through Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville, and then across towards Ashville and Concord.

Any and all 'Barners/HAMB folks in and around either route home from Joplin we'd love to hook up with. Just reply here and/or PM me and we'll figure out how to meet and when .....

Mo Junk and Barnfind - you guys anywhere close by to our route?

7. You bet!

8. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I live about 2 miles south of Route 66. I cross it daily going to and from work. 15 miles West of Rolla you must see the Devils Elbow bridge. It's on the oldest section of 66 (1930's). From St. James, Mo.(8 Miles East of Rolla) you can drive Route 66 all the way to Pacific, Mo. The Wagon Wheel Motel in Cuba, Mo. has recently been refurbished. It has a number of stone cottages and you can stay there. I see classic cars there regularly. I'll be at the HAMB Drags all weekend. I'll find you and we can visit. Sam

9. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

TomT, you're taking the trip of my dreams. 1 word of caution tho, from experience,be prepared to ride hard when you hook up with the bones.went to maxton a few years back and was running 75 down the interstate,when i caught a glimpse of a 32 cpe coming. blew past me like the law was after them and they were late for their wedding.hung with them for a few moments until the law in the shotgun seat began to make threats.

10. Yeah, I've been warned already! Chuck and I plan to leave a little earlier every day but we can run 70-75 all day, no problem. Beyond that ... who knows!

11. This is great info, Sam, and I hope we can hook up @ the HAMB drags - we should be there the night before if you are around ....

The Wagon Wheel Motel sounds like a great stop - I've looked them up on the net - ned to makre reservations I think ....

12. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Also, there's a lot to see around Carthage and Webb City in the Joplin Area. My brother (WZ JUNK) organized a couple of Route 66 cruises for the first couple HAMB DRAGS. There's some neat sights between Joplin and Starbirds in Kansas and Oklahoma. All are close to Joplin. If you get there a day early there will be plenty to keep you occupied.

13. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

You absolutely must have your own shade in the form of a popup canopy and a ground mat also if this is your first time. The place is like the inside of a nuclear reactor after about 11 am. Ive been going since 1984 and its the greatest car show on earth

14. No room for a canopy in my roadster but I believe the Bones will have some shade - I did get some of the proper clothing for UV protection. But, hot is hot and there's no getting around it!

15. I did get the Rt 66 books and whatever info I can get from you at the drags - I know I can spend weeks out there when I only have about 2-3 days or so .... We'll make you proud, promise!

16. Some updates: Chuck and I will be at the Starbird Museum on Sunday, Aug 17th, staying in Carthage, MO that evening - Chuck is scoping out a good place to stay ....

On Monday, Aug 19th, we'll zig and zag our way on Rt 66 to Cuba, MO and stay at the Wagon Wheel Motel that evening on Rt 66. From there we'll continue exploring things on Rt 66, go through St Louis, see the arch, and we've decided to continue on Rt 66 through Illinois, cutting east towards Speedway, Indiana at some point. We'll make a stop @ Bubba's Ignition either on Wed the 21st or Thursday the 22nd of August, then head towards Concord, NC for a visit with the Iron Lords and home the next day ....

17. gas pumper

gas pumper

TomT, Yeah hot is hot, but it's not bad at the salt. The lack of humidity really helps.

I've been to Williamsburg in July and Aug. You guys can handle the heat:D

Bonneville is more comfortable than NJ in July and Aug, too.

There's plenty of shade at every pit, And straw hats work well for getting from tent to tent.

18. I hear you about the humidity here (I lived up on LI my whole life until 1995 and well aware of how bad it can get in the summer in the NE but Williamsburg does take the cake on heat and humidity) - hot is hot but we will be prepared with hats, UV clothing and SPF50 sunscreen or better ....

19. Come on by and see us in the 416 pits. Just look for Tman sleeping in his chair. :D

[​IMG]

Tman likes this.
  20. bobadame

bobadame

Call ahead to see the see the Speedway Museum in Lincoln Ne. It's by appointment. If there's a museum in Wendover I'd love to see that.

21. Tom

If you'd like and have time, you are more than welcome to make one last stop at my place before heading home. I'm 3.5 hours from the IL shop and 2.5 hours from your place. Might be a little out of the way, but you're more than welcome to stop by. Gimme a shout!

22. Thanks for the offer, Brett - we might just take you up on that! As you know we intend to hit the IL shop either Thursday or Friday night - on Friday nights is there a cruise night the ILs attend somewhere?

Regardless, PM me your phone number so we can give you a shout ....

Later,
    Tom

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I don't recall if you mentioned when you're stopping by the Speedway Museum, but you don't need to make an appointment. During the summer, daily tours are at 2:00 pm
    http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/default.dlp

24. Tom, check with Ron or maybe Kevin (flat_foot) with the Road Pilots for cruises in that area.

I'll send you my contact info shortly.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Thanks for the heads up ...

We'd like to visit Speedway but the timing and all may not be right - we're going to play this one by ear and see what happens. Maybe others on the tour want to go .......

I did see that they have the 2PM tour daily but I've heard they sometimes will do a 10:30 AM one if there's interest and notice enough to set it up .... again, interest by other Rolling Bones participants will be the key.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  26. Good work if you can get it.

27. Sleeping man under a 10-gallon straw hat = Tman. Got it!

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Tom wish I was coming too !!! Sounds like a fantastic roadtrip, have fun dude :D

29. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

TomT, in addition to UV protection, if you wear baggy cargo shorts, use caution; You can sure burn your boys. Sam