Register now to get rid of these ads!

Muncie 4 speed Leaks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, Jul 8, 2013.

1. concreteman

concreteman

Hi All
    I just put a Muncie in my 34 -looks like it leaks out the front -between the Lakewood bell housing and trans- car has a good rake to - low in front - any ideas (would rather not pull it)
    Thanks Chris

2. lorodz

lorodz

You have to pull it and reseal the input shaft or front seal of transmission.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Those only have a slinger that pushes oil back into the transmission. Mine will leak when parked on a steep downhill slope. At least that is what the transmission shop claims.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If the trans has a bunch on miles on it they are prone to leak between the counter gear shaft and case.

Frank

5. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

6. I always have a drip or two on my case. I don't like it, but I check the level from time to time it never seems low.

7. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

If its a Muncie, it leaks. I have two and they both leak and both are newly rebuilt.

8. Yup, I'll second what LORODZ and CB Chief said. You do have to pull it to do anything to the input shaft, and there is a paper gasket between the input shaft collar and the case, but only a slinger ring keeps oil from running up the input shaft itself. You might be able to isolate which is leaking by cleaning all the leaked 90w off the tranny and scatter shield, and squirting a can or two of brake/carb cleaner into the throw out bearing fork hole to get any accumulated 90w out of there, then let it sit and see if it leaks while just sitting. I forgot to mention, while your under there, pull the fill plug and make sure it's not overfilled. Level should be just even with the bottom of the threads in the fill hole when the car is level. If it leaks like this (sitting still and level, it's either over filled, or the gasket on the input collar is bad. If it doesn't leak unless you drive it, then the odd's are it's the flinger inside. I've seen them bent and/or completely left out.

9. atorsiello

atorsiello
    from New Jersey

Mine has been like that for 10 years. I check the fluid level about once a year and have never needed to add any, go figure.

Alan

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

Probably leaking from the counter shaft hole. The hole gets a bit worn so the shaft might be loose and it leaks. You can loosen the bolts ,and if possible,back out the tranny an inch,dry up the oil and squeeze in some sealer between the case and bellhousing,bolt it back up ....Works sometimes...

11. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

It's not always easy to tell, but if it's coming from between the tranny and bellhousing, it's the counter shaft hole. If it's inside the bell, it's the front gasket or the slinger.

12. Dennis D

Dennis D

More apt to be leaking from the countershaft than the input. In the front bearing retainer there is a drain-back slot that lines up with a hole in the case to keep the oil from building up in that area. If that hole is filled with excess sealer it may cause your leak. If it is the countershaft I would be suprised if you get it to seal without draining the fluid before you try the RTV as it will contaminate before it sets up. Some of the best sealer I have found is sold by Toyota (sorry) and is high dollar. Part number on it is 00295-00103. Dennis D

13. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

May seem like a stupid comment but can we assume the level is not too high to start with?

Had the same complaint from a friend and when I took out the fill plug gear lube ran out the hole and filled 3/4 of a quart jar before it stopped. When I asked how he got so much lube in there to start with he filled it while it was out of the car and laying on it's side....don't overlook the obvious.

14. Amen on the overfilling! Mine will leak a little around the input shaft when parked on a steep grade nose downward occasionally but doesn't leak on level ground at all. Prior to being rebuilt it leaked in a few places, I always told people that it was marking territory.

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

What he said!

Pat

16. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

Yes, probably leaking at the counter shaft as already said. I have repaired two of these by cleaning the cavity extremely well and filling it with a quality two part epoxy. The other way is to machine the bore and resize.

17. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks Guys
    for all the help -I may try to move the trans back an inch or so
    I have an hyd throw out bearing and would need to pull the engine to seperate

Truckedup;9045636]Probably leaking from the counter shaft hole. The hole gets a bit worn so the shaft might be loose and it leaks. You can loosen the bolts ,and if possible,back out the tranny an inch,dry up the oil and squeeze in some sealer between the case and bellhousing,bolt it back up ....Works sometimes...
    [/
    Some of the best sealer I have found is sold by Toyota (sorry) and is high dollar. Part number on it is 00295-00103. Dennis D[/QUOTE]

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My super T10 is always damp around the side cover. Never drips a drop, and never low, but no matter how often I wipe it off dry, it is damp around the cover the next day.

19. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

X2 seen this as much as anything

20. 60 Belair

60 Belair

I think when a Muncie is not leaking that's when you have to worry :D

21. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks
    Starting to think your right - my only leaks a small amount now- hope the trans is not running too low on oil :eek: