Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1936 chevy truck and alike

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roll of the dices, Jul 8, 2013.

1. I am a bit more familiar with the 1947-53 similarities and differences; however, I am now looking for a 1936 chevy truck. Can some of you point out what years share similarities and differences.

I am mainly interested on the 1936 low back cab. I've notice the cowl difference from the '35 to the '36 and grill changing '37 and newer.

Thank you

2. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

High cab and low cab both 36s and lots of fun. Hope this helps.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

The 36 low cab will bring instant fame to your life! haha

There were significant grill changes from 36-37-38. It really makes a big difference as to how the truck looks.

Are you planning on full fenders?

4. I am debating it. I started with the idea of fenderless but now thinking of full fenders. Is the '35-'36 grill the same?

5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

35-36 grill is the same the fenders are different behind the tires the hood sides are not the same

6. raymay

raymay

35 to 38 the Chevy truck cabs were the same design. The difference was in mid 36 they came out with a low cab which is probably the more common ones to find now. Fenders, cowls, grilles and hoods for 35 and 36 were different.
    In 37 and 38 the fenders were the same but the cowls, grilles and hoods were different. While they all had some similar looks to the same year cars, the car and truck parts were not interchangeable.
    My favorites were always the 37 cars and trucks.
    2.jpg 38.JPG scan0001.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
    EVL401 likes this.
  7. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

I believe the '36 Low Cab was only made in the last half of the production year. The windshield height was increased by 2" in 1937 and 1938 so it makes it a little unusual since it was only made for 6 months. By the way, mine is for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gatch likes this.
  8. Nice info Thx

10. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

I've seen several windshield frames for sale on Ebay over the past few years. The windshield did open when new. Something I always liked about the '36 was the fact that the headlights were still mounted on top of the fenders like Model A's, '32's and older cars. Also in '37 the rear fender shape was changed to a longer fender, similar to what you would find on a 1950's Chevrolet truck. The '36 was the last year with the short bobbed fenders. To me, after 1936, the improvements made it a much newer looking truck where the '36 still appeared to be old. Just my opinion.

11. Are there any good place to buy replacement parts other than Jim's?

12. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

There are quite a few places to buy stuff on the net.

You can make the winshield stationary but it looks great cranked out so if it was me I would retaing the original frame.

13. The '35 cab is the same as '34 and '36 high cab.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<Like this

14. I agree. That's the one feature that sold me on them...looking at that windshield cracked open. :)

15. Paint

Paint

Here's my 37......

Attached Files:

16. Streight8

Streight8

That little chin piece below the 36 low cab grille is different from the others and hard to find. There was a GMC and Maple leaf version as well, the side mount tire was on different sides GMC to Chevrolet. Passenger side on Chev, Driver's side on GMC. I thought my 36 had a pointer bottom to the grille by just enought to be a nuisance.

17. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The 36 low cab and 37/38 Chev/GMC cabs are similar, but the 36 cab has some differences. The 36-38 doors are the same. The 36 low cab lower windshield frame section is the same as the 37/38, the tops are different. The 36 low cab still has wood in it; which is in the door post and upper cowl. The 36 low cab back window is placed lower in the cab than the 37/38, the windows are the same.