Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopped it.......she's still too tall.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Thanks loblazer. I think that would be a good starting point on the box. It would keep a litte more stude in the profile. I don't think the window fix is that big. I'll study it a bit more.

2. mikes51

mikes51

[​IMG]

I think it would be a good idea to sand off that yellow, get everything metal color. Easier to see the final shape without that distraction.

3. Yeah, I need to get that done. Wow she's looking w i d e !:D

4. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

That's what I was saying. To me, that bottom pic looks best - more balance. Otherwise it looks like a skinny chick with giant hips! :D

5. mikes51

mikes51

6. How come everytime I look at these pictures I think of the Godfather?:D

Up to this point this has all been somewhat experimental. You guys have helped a bunch! I'm satisfied with the over all look, so I'm going to finish welding up the hood, then back apart to weld the cab & finish the doors. After that I'll finalize the headlight/apron location. At some point, back on the chassis. Probably several times on and off:rolleyes:
    I think the photo shop makes it look even fatter than it is thru the fenders. I really wouldn't mind taking an inch or two out of each side if need be, to balance the width/hight. When I get to that point I'll pull her outside for some serious looking over

7. I was thinking about that Mike. I may make some straight edges off the fenders and do some measuring as I move them around. I think Kelly is right (DBF). I'll bet when I find the sweet spot the H/L will be centered. That will probably take care of the "Brando look" (tm).;)

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tin,

Before I got married to the idea of the headlamp placement, I'd wanna figger out what guards and front plate frame (if any) I'd be running. All of the elements of the design will have to work together to pull this off well, if you're to avoid the '' tacked on '' look:D

9. good point. Right now the hood is the only thing welded.

I'll have to find out if WA ran ft plates in 46. I'd rather not run one. But certianly would hate to have to add one later.

10. wayfarer

wayfarer

If you run '46 plates, you only have to run a rear one. That's the rule on all the old plates in WA.

11. mikes51

mikes51

I thought so too, but I think I drew in the gray pretty close to the yellow and not beyond. But yes, photoshop lets you see only a partial look. The best is seeing the real thing.

12. I did a little measuring. Was interesting, ok well at least to me:) In the last pictures the headlight was 1&1/2" outboard of center. (between hood center and outer edge of fender) I moved it in to center and it looked good. The sweet spot! As it turns out the lights are exactly where the orig. Studes were.

13. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

14. Well, the design stage is done. I'm real happy with the way it's coming together.
    So I took her back apart:D
    Now the work starts. Ready for another round of blasting. I'll blast both top and bottom. I HATE BLASTING! But I don't like working on dirty rusty shit! I'm still undecided whether I'll cut the floor out before blasting. Probably, but I'll have to brace what's left of the lower section. This time as I reassemble I'll be welding everything together. I want the cab solid and square before I do the final cutting, fitting and welding of the front sheet metal.

Attached Files:

15. fleet-master

fleet-master

16. mikes51

mikes51

I went to say you're welcome but the art thread already went into archive.

Yea, get those doors perfect first. I watched this tv show about building and selling rods. Someone recommended to me. I couldn't believe it, in the show, the camera is on the star of the show. He is banging his shoulder on his truck door, it won't open!

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  17. Yep that was gone quick. Would you post it here? That is fantastic work. I printed it to hang in the shop.

I'm a perfectionist on fit and gaps. Maybe to the point of obsession :eek: I'll be "fixing" quite a few factory flaws.
    Got to start with a square clean foundation. I made the decision to leave the floor in until after the cab is back together.

Thanks again Mike!

18. mikes51

mikes51

19. fleet-master

fleet-master

okay... its been 6weeks. I gots ta have an update :D:D:p

20. fleet-master

fleet-master

has Tinbender gone AWOL ?

21. mikes51

mikes51

He's sidelined remodeling the house or moving , something like that.

22. Hey guys thanks for thinking about me!:D I'm alive and well. School is out, so I have 3 months off.
    I've been caught up in a house remodel. It's pretty much done, gonna have the roof done, and it will go on the market! Finally! (the "north house" we're keeping my 1903 two story. We love it here!)
    I also took a real vacation! For the maybe the third time in my life. A week at the lake, and a week getting caught back up at home. Then my daily died........a moment of silence for the mighty s 10 please....:rolleyes: Had to replace it. Promised myself no more projects, but bought a "fixer" anyway.
    But all is good. Gonna hammer hard on the T bird this coming week ( gotta replenish the money supply!)and work in the Stude. I'm jonesin really bad to get back to it. Update very soon.......

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  23. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tin,
    BAD NEWS- house remodel projects are never ''done'' only abandoned, there's always something else;)

Moe peekures of the Tin Byrd & the Stude pleeeeeeeeeease!

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

24. Ha! your right! the house we're keeping is a restoration project for a masochist!

Haven't touched the Stude, but I've been making some patches for the bird.
    I was able to form the vent openings for the fenders from single pieces.

Attached Files:

25. I don't have pictures handy, but I formed the inner lip hammering over a piece of bar stock. Then clamped the piece to the table, with a piece of 1/4 plate in the center hole and "trimmed" the final edge by grinding down to the plate. Then put some crown in the piece with heat, a wedge, and my stump.
    I'll find some more pics, but in the meantime I'll make up for the lack of visual aids by posting a picture of the tiles my wife bought for the bathroom remodel of the house were keeping ;):eek:;):D:

Attached Files:

26. 66slabside

66slabside

Ha HA!! I feel you. Almost got the Lincoln back on the road and wife decides it's time to redo the front deck. Did need it, it was scary rotten. Two weekends into it and probably one more Sat to go. Then it's front air bag time.

Let me know when the tile is up, I'll come over again and inspect the bathroom for you and maybe use your roller to make a drive shaft tunnel.

27. Give me a call or PM. I'll be in the shop a lot in the next few weeks. We can roll up what ever you need.

28. I'm still two weeks out from getting back on the Stude. So I'll post todays progress on the T bird for my buddy pimp. I guess I'm hijacking my own thread!

The big deal, although it may not seem like it, is the car is finally together and rigid enough to be lifted and turned on the rotisserie. Not only am I happy to progress to this point, but it is soooooo much easier to work on when I can turn it and be comfortable. For the last few months the car has been clamped on a table to help hold it in alignment as it was reassembled. I spent today fitting and tacking in the vent holes I had made, along with the rest of the lower fender patches. Please note the high tech tipping tool :eek:

Attached Files:

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SO where do you get tiles like that? I'm on the front end of redoing our basement bathroom, and think I could use something like that.

30. I started the process of gas welding in the patches. At this point they look rough, but the gas welds will let me finish the metal far beyond what I could do with a mig. Also here's a shot of what I started with, and one from today that shows the truss that I made to fit and align the floor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013