Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I finally get to change my signature: Grant Rebel SST funny car!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Don Moyer, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Hey Don- Do you still have the ramp truck? I know it is a Javelin but just say' n !

[​IMG]

2. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

Sent you a PM.

3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Don, insane Kool!!! That's neater than the invent of sliced bread.... Hey you need any help with the glass body I'm in! Sixteen yrs. Building show vette's at your disposal... an we have a tubing bender! Cheers -Kurtis-

4. Sometimes, dreams come true.

5. biscaynes

biscaynes

wow! nice to see it survived!

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

So cool when something like this turns up, congrats Don!

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pretty cool Don. What a score. Jim

8. Still have a ramp truck! Might have to paint it red white and blue...what to do about that bow tie window in the sleeper cab....

9. Church Key

Church Key

10. That's freakin' awesome...congrats! You're almost better off not having the original chassis...trying to fix 45-year-old tubing is a pain, and having fresh pipe is worth it if you want to do more than a static display.

11. congrats very cool

12. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Great find Don, here's another killer picture for the collection!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  13. Grumbler

Grumbler

Love it!!! Owned two 69 Javelin SST's back in the day, a 343 auto, wrecked it, then got a 343 T-10. Ran into a guy the other day doing a total resto on a 70 AMX which I consider one of the best looking cars ever built.
    Over the years my family also had a Rambler, two Hornets, a Gremlin, Jeep Commando, Eagle and.......the mighty Pacer!![​IMG]

14. What a great thread!

I am a huge fan of the late '60s Funny Cars, and this one was one of my favorites. I liked it because it wasn't the regular Chevy/Ford/Chrysler variety, it was different. It definitely had an underdog status, and that's why I liked it.

Of all the people that could have wound up with the car, I'm glad that it is now in Don's hands. It's guaranteed that the car will be done right and with a lot of respect to it's history.

Looking at the picture of the engine, I can't help but think about how unique the parts are on that thing. The blower drive and the manifold, the pump, and all the other little unique pieces. Those are definitely one-off parts and for lack of a better word, priceless.

I've heard hundreds of Hemis on nitro, but the uncommon engines like the Big Block Chevys and the Fords sound way more violent on nitro because of the port design. I would love to hear how an AMC sounds on fuel!!!

I'll be tuning in on this build. A friend of mine, John Lipori, found his father's old '67 Buick Funny Car a few years ago and is in the process of getting it back together. John's car and your Rebel are both very significant to the history of the Funny Car, and I can't wait to see them at a nostalgia event in the future.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Several dealers can be seen in this photo with movie cameras.

Cool if those old 8mm films survived and surfaced!

16. Just got this info to my AMC pal. He is excited.

17. When you get this thing all put back together, Your first race should be against the nitro Buick powered Funny Car, "Ingenue". :D

Hemis? HEMIS!!! We don't need no stinkin' HEMIS!!! :cool:

18. Deuces

Deuces

So, whatever happened to Hayden Proffitt???....
    Is he still around???...

19. BobG

BobG

The red Rebel was a different car and had a totally different chassis than the Red, White & Blue car.
    The Feds had a property seizure auction about 15 or so years ago in Jacksonville IL, a grey primered rolling, rough condition Rebel Funny Car was sold at the auction.
    It wasn't ID'ed because very few people knew about it and no one knows who bought it, it was a low key auction mostly tools and shop equipment, etc. and only a few knew about the old Funny car being there.

Don, you got a real prize esspecially with it still having the original paint and some of the original lettering still visible.... Good luck with your restoration.

Hayden is one real nice guy, real out going. I met him in 81 when a friend of mine bought his last Hydrogen Peroxide Rocket Dragster (US-1 Rocket)

20. I saw the Pollution Packer at Great Lakes Dragway run the very first 4 second quarter mile! And I think it ran a sub-four quarter on the next run!:eek:

Was that Hayden Proffit's car?

21. BobG

BobG

No the Polution Packers were owned by Tony Fox, Two of Tony's drivers were killed in his two cars, Russell Mendez was killed in Gainesville Fl during an exhibition run at the NHRA Gatornationals and Dave Anderson was killed at an IHRA race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway (1/8 mile drags), the accident involving Dave Anderson also killed two crew members of a Competition Eliminator team that was towing their race car back on the return road.

22. basicbob

basicbob

Don, I'm excited for you! That is a long time to chase down one car.

Bob Perreault

23. tbenvie

tbenvie

I know this is an article on the 67 version, but still thought it may be helpful in some way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

that thing is bad to the bone, good goin Don!!

25. one2roc

one2roc

Agreed, for sure!

26. Wow! I can't wait to see that car restored.
    For those of you not around then, this car actually kicked ass, it held the S/XS record for a while!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  27. Stick with it even if the HAMB doesn't stick with you on this post. Let us know from where ever.

28. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Yes, HP is still around.

29. 4tford

4tford

Great story! As a former AMC engineer it is great to see this build happening. It keeps a great company alive for those of us that worked there and later on part of Chrysler. Did ignition work for them back in 72 remember the 390's and 401 engines were pretty stout performers. Best of luck with the build I'll be following this thread.

30. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

very kool! congrats don! this going to be good.