Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electrical Woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adixon6366, Jul 6, 2013.

1. adixon6366

adixon6366
    from indiana

So my lights started pulsating in my 1984 toronado.Battery was a bit inconsistent with a volt meter, but we took off and cleaned the corrosion off the terminals. I got the battery and alternator tested multiple times, and they check out fine on the bench. I dealt with this annoyance for about a week, and the car seemed to be okay. It was handling audio,subs, lights and AC with no problem, besides pulsating lights. Then yesterday my charge light came on and shut my radio off (fuse is not blown for radio). I took the battery and alternator off to get them checked yet again, and both are still fine according to the testers. I replaced the battery cables, and no change at all. I'm at a loss on what to do!

Before this happened I replaced my headlights, but I didn't drive it a night until a few days later, so I'm not so if they're related? Also about a week before this I installed a new radio, and accidentally crossed some wires and had some trouble with the wipers always on and charge light. Although these problems ended up being okay after changing some fuses and unplugging/plugging the wiper motor.

Not sure if this new charge light problem is just an issue I got from when I was wiring the radio, or just part of it being an old car with problems.

I know this isn't really a "hot rod" question, but I figure someone might know. My 1966 Chevy doesn't have as many problems as this Oldsmobile does...

2. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

Sounds like the alternator is going, the voltage regulator is internal.
    Replace it and you should be fine

3. 55willys

55willys

Is everything grounded properly? Most strange electrical problems can be traced to bad grounds. Jim (55willys)

4. adixon6366

adixon6366
    from indiana

I would have no idea were to start..
    I know the battery ground is good. I really wouldn't want to dive into the hornets nest of wires behind the dash. You'd think it'd be something around the area I was working, but I've checked them so many times.

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Not to be a dick, 1984? really?

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

Toros were famous for electrical problems in that era.Also look for wires with wear that could be grounding out near the motor.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Doesn't the info apply to any hotrod using an alternator? Would it be different if he said it was an '84 engine in a '56 Chevy?

8. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Get a wiring diagram for the car and check every ground everywhere, no matter how little you want to. While you are checking grounds pay attention to any wires that look worn or loosely held in place and fix them as you go. I don't wanna be a dick about it but from the sounds of it you want to be told there is a way to fix it without having to do anything, and that's not realistic. I had that same car as you and I had so many problems electrically that I broke down and spend a whole weekend rewrapping and securing every wire from front bumper to rear bumper.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I think some just post comments to build their count. Grounds are the biggest headache, I added extra even a battery ground cable from the motor mount block bolt to a frame bolt just for added insurance.

10. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Had a similar problem with my Hot Rod took the alternator off and had it tested by a very reputable AC Delco authorized electrical shop. They found no problems with the alternator or battery. Checked all the grounds and connections found no problems had the alternator checked again, no problems found. So I took the alternator off my other car installed it and the pulsating lights went away so I'm guessing your alternator is the culprit. May have been damaged by the crossed wires

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio