Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

When I show my Henry J people always want to know what it is and when I tell them they still don't so I have to go though the whole history of Henry J's . One guy asked me if it was a Fiat! I love having a car that is different and it doesn't hurt that it has a Blown 392 Hemi in it!

2. Bluedot

Bluedot

Damn this thread! Just now found it, got hooked, and already wasted a bunch of time just reading the first 7 pages - less than a quarter of the thread! Great stuff!
    Made note of where I am, gonna hafta come back later. Thanks to all who've posted.

3. buckd

buckd

Mike picked my car for the legends award at Salina last year. I take it as the best compliment of my career as a builder. BUCKD

4. raymay

raymay

A good thumbs up out on the road is always a good compliment. Got a middle finger once when I unintentionally cut someone off in my rod.
    When I built my old 37 Chevy Kingcab pickup, some guy in Home Depot parking lot kept insisting his Uncle had one just like it. I tried to politely tell him that they never made them that way but he argued that I was wrong so I just agreed with him and went on my way.
    People often tell me my latest build of a 56 Chevy into an ElCamino looks factory. I like that comment since that was the look I was going for.

Attached Files:

5. GaryC.

GaryC.

........After a high speed run in the Pantera my friend said...
    ...."You're not going to die in this car;
    you're going to penetrate another dimension."

........We're both still here.

Attached Files:

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

While I was cruising at BTTF's a young girl yelled "oh wow, you just made my day! Your truck is my favorite of the show!" There were 12,000 cars there... :cool:

7. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

"This car tells a story". -a 19 year-old gearhead from a few weeks ago.

8. For the Henry J I always tell people that it,s a car that Jeep built in the day. with jeep engines works every time

9. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

"Your car is so cool! Would you like to sleep with my wife while I watch?"

10. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

At one of our local cruise-ins a young kid of about five or six years of age came running up all excited to my parked T-bucket. He turned to his mother who was walking up from behind and asked, "Mom, is that a hot rod"? His mom replied yes, and the kid said, "Cool"! Made it all worth going!!!

Attached Files:

11. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

1 Lowtruck Hey! Was thinking of you the other day and wondering how you are doing. Bob (Hamb breakfast)

12. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Shouldn't you complete your spiffy stories with photos of said cars ?

13. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

I was on my way back home from the airport one evening having picked up my wife from a long day of travelling. It is a 2 hour drive and we had 20 minutes to go when I met an RCMP cruiser with 2 cops in it heading the opposite direction.

There were 4 other cars behind me going the same direction as me and I said to my wife 'just wait and see, that cop is going to turn around and stop us'. Sure enough, I watched in the mirror while he did a 3 point turn, passed the cars and pulled in behind me...lights flashing. I pulled off the highway on to an approach to a farmers wheat field waiting to see what was coming next.

The cop driving was an old goat (like me) and has a pimply faced rookie with him...they both get out and walk up to my side of the car.

Old Cop says, ' what year is this Chevelle? The rookie stood there not moving & not saying a thing...kind of dumb looking.

Me, 'It's a 1970'

Old cop turning to the rookie, 'see I told you it was a '70, I had one just like this'. 'It's a big block right'?

Me, 'Yup...do you want to see my drivers license and registration?.

Old cop, 'Nope I want to see under the hood, you got a couple of minutes?.

Me, 'sure'...I get out pull the hood pins and open the hood for him...while the mosquitos and bugs are biting the shit out of me.

Old cop says to the rookie, 'See that's the cowl induction hood I told you about'...and proceeds to give the rookie a .50 cent tour of my engine bay.

A couple of minutes later when he's finished, I close and pin the hood, we shake hands and go our separate ways. I get back in the car and away we go.... my wife says 'what the hell was that all about?. I tell he just an old fart like me that likes cars and had a Chevelle one time back in the day.

It was a pretty cool experience... they never did want to see any license or registration, the old cop just wanted to show the rookie what he drove before the kid was born.

14. Saxxon

Saxxon

Brett Wagner from Speed channel's Pass Time was in town as part of his agreement with IHRA. he was doing some tower announcing when I pulled into the burnout box with the Scout. It got his attention. When I pulled the wheels 2 feet he apparently said a couple of words you shouldn't say during a public address announcement.

He later came through the pits and had me give him a tour of the little beast. Anytime after that, if I came to the line and if he was in the tower he would broadcast that this was his favorite vehicle on site.

15. kscarguy

kscarguy

Driving my chopped and flamed Model A Ford Coupe...see a guy pull over to the side of the road, he jumps out of his car and pull a video camera out to film as I cruise by.

My Ego grew two sizes that day.

16. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I was at the Jalopy Showdown with my 37 Terraplane an some guy ask me if that was a real car or did I make up that grill.

17. jr9162

jr9162

Had a guy come by yesterday to look at a 53 Buick Special 2 door hardtop I have on Craig's list. He glanced at the cars in my yard and asked. What you got in the garage that's so important you have the 32 parked outside? I told him it was a 38 Special Business Coupe and the garage was in the process of being emptied to make room for it.

18. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One unique remembrance I have occurred back in the mid 80's (when I was 40). I was attending a Chamber of Commerce event in the evening and a woman that I knew asked for a ride in my 38 Chevrolet (bucket seat) coupe. We had driven about a mile when she asked "did you ever wonder how many peopled had fxxked in this car?". I think my response was "I think there will be one more". The night went pretty well:)

19. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

A lady at car show said she knows for a fact there is allot of room in the back seat of 58 chevy. She smiled and walked away. If only she was good looking i would asked her to show me. LOL

20. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

I think the best reaction was a lot of years ago I was at the Grants Pass Or. Back to the 50's car show. My buddy from Grants Pass and I were sitting in our lawn chairs facing the car when I get a tap on my shoulder and asked if it was my car. When I turned around to say yes it was none other than Blackie Gejeian. He said he liked the car but could see that it wasn't finished yet. He said when it was finished he wanted it in his show. That is one of the best commpliments a guy could get. The other reaction was seeing how excited my buddy was over Blackie likeing it. I thought he was going to wet himself.

21. Deuces

Deuces

Oh, you stinky bastard!!!.... After I cut some serious cheese.....:D:eek::D

22. Wierd (and possible I told this story before):

Last fall I go to South Carolina for a week to visit a friend and while there go to the races at this little local track. Unlike most I've been to, here you drove in and bought a ticket from someone in a booth and then parked.

So here I am in my O/T beater conversion van, which I repainted with Rustoleum spray cans both to hide rust and to hide the goofy decal stripes it came with (and to match up the doors I swapped onto it, too). Runs, drips and errors where I rushed it in a couple spots, rust showing in places because of the salt it's seen, in fact I'm carrying a spare door in the back I bought earlier in the day to replace one of them.

Girl I paid for the ticket says "I like your van" ... I probably should have offered her a tour of the inside or something. It does have a bed in the back.

But half the reason it's funny is here I am in this rusty POS and all the ones I'd seen in the junkyard earlier that day were in way better shape body-wise than mine was.

Of course, I've shown up in beat to hell trucks to do swap meets and been asked if I was showing the truck, too, so who knows with some folks.

23. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

So how many miles are on it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Serious load there , LOL .

I took my pickup to the yard to get some shingle for my drive , the loader driver just refused to put any in the truck . Had to get my trailer . :rolleyes:

25. I drove to Dunedin for the March USA Day meet. Had the canvas canopy on , took 2 days getting there , camped in the truck :)

I drove into the show and circled the grounds , looking for a good spot to park. Noticed a couple of guys RUNNING after me , I thought they were going to direct me to a particular place , but no. They were aghast that I was in a '40 Chev pickup , they were stunned , it is a bit rare here , but they thought is was REAL rare and didn't know what to do with themselves , it was just SO exciting for them , to actually see a genuine '40 , driven from North Canterbury , and , and , and .......... made my weekend really . :)

[​IMG]

26. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Despite what some choose to believe "patina" cars are pretty popular, just driving one will guarantee a conversation, stares, photos, etc, cant pick your nose in one because there is always someone looking at you :D
    Saturday I was in a hurry to get to a car show and was picking up lunch for me and some friends, pretty good hurry to get out and get to the venue. I was in the caddy and I had a guy flat out running across the parking lot to get to me before I could leave. I gave him the quick info and told him to hit the show if he wanted to see more. Maybe not the best reaction but one of the funniest, I saw him coming and he started hauling ass as soon as I tried to leave.

27. I had a attractive girl yesterday roll her window down at a light. " You are a fucking badass."

that was it. :D

28. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

I was getting gas in my 68charger rt when a guy walks up and asks if its mine? I say yes, he offers me $65k, and I politely say no thank you it's not for sale. He stands there for a second and says, "you must know what this thing is worth" and I politely say to him yes sir I do, it's MY car. He hands me a business card, turns out he is in the classic car auction business down in L.A. Somewhere. Geeeez...

29. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

At LSRU this year I had a guy come up to me as I pulled my truck off the trailer;

Him: Is this the one on YouTube!?
    Me: Probably, I post a lot of random crap.
    Him: Awesome, I'm subscribed to your channel!
    Me: Cool, thanks!
    Him: I love the one where you broke the drive shaft on a test drive!
    Me: :eek: Oh yeah... me too...

That did my ego in. :D

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  30. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i get a lot of "gee, my first child was conceived in one like that!"