Register now to get rid of these ads!

223/262 Ford Timing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

So Last time I I detailed the engine compartment on my '64 262, I jacked with the timing. Got her dialed in pretty close, but getting hesitation on hills and light backfire on rapid acceleration. Funny thing is pulling the choke a bit seems to help. WTF is going on??!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 510madmav

510madmav

Vaccumn leak ?

3. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

If the timing is still off will it act this way or does vacuum or fuel make more sense?

4. Ole don

Ole don

I would check the distributor design first. If the book calls it Load-a-matic, its troublesome. Find or make a different dizzy fit the hole. The Loadamatic relies on vacuum, when you pull the choke out the vacuum changes and the motor gets happy.
    Check with Bubba the ignition guru.

5. I agree, vacuum issue. The stock Loadamatic dist is junk...
    It is possible to use a distributor for a 300 six (even duraspark II) and if your six is truly a '64 vintage it should be pretty simple. Search here or at fordsix.com

6. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

It is quite easy to do. The mod I did for my '53 Courier is here. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748185
    You will only need to make a hex adapter to go from 1/4" (your '64) to the 5/16" on the later distributors.

Be sure you have no vac leaks. If you do it will run as you describe.

7. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

What IDs the dizzy as a Loadamatic?

8. All stock distributors were loadamatics on 215-223-262's.

Also, '64 engines supposedly have the 5/16" oil pump drive....which simplifies the swap a bunch. Double check yours though...

9. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

When you remove cap to get at the points the advance springs are on top of the breaker plate. The LOM distributors are vacuum advance only. They use a low vac signal. Every thing must perfect for them to operate correctly. They are next to useless with multiple carbs or a carb change.

10. Sounds like you should check the main jet in the carb...someone may have put a leaner one in it for high elevation? Also it may help the blow out the low speed circuit (the idle screw) with compressed air and it won't hurt to blow out the main jet circuit too...just a little air, not too much!
    The condition you described could be caused by a lean mixture...

11. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Thanks fellas. Only reason I suspected timing was that's all I had messed with prior to it not running right... but the choke thing kind of threw me off. I've suspected a lean mixture for awhile. Now it sounds like I need to look into a dizzy swap. If it is indeed a 5/16" oil pump drive (It's a 262, so I'll bet it is), what are my replacement options? The 300 version??

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, it doesn't take too much to adapt a 240/300 distributor to your engine.

13. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

If you do swap the distributor be sure to check the number of teeth on the distributor gear. The 300" has 15 teeth. Your 223" may be 12.