Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hard to put into words...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottsrods, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottsrods

scottsrods

I was building this '37 ford pick up for my son. It's supposed to be his first ride. Started with my tax refund, about $6000. I'm on disability so money's tight, but I've been able to put about $800 or so every two weeks, sometimes more into it, little wheeling and dealing and all the hours of work. From a shitty cab and frame that needed a lot of work, to the chassis and drivetrain, disk brakes, boxing, fuel lines, brake lines, chassis elect.tested and hidden in the rails, ladder bars and and 9" installed and painted.
    Floors done, body work almost done, channeled right, getting close to glass and interior.
    All my kid had to do is not lie to me and get the grades, go to summer school and catch up what lacks...
    I work on it every day. I've eaten top ramen when I was short for parts. I drive a fucking Geo Tracker. Just so my son can drive a cool car that isn't an import, and introduce him to hot rodding.
    He lied, skipped summer school, and a few other things.
    And now I can't give it to him. I gave him break after break.
    It makes me sick

2. Diavolo

Diavolo

Sounds like you just won an awesome '37 Ford pickup!

At some point you have to cut them loose and let them make their own decisions and suffer the consequences. You didn't mention age but if he's close to graduation age, that's about the time boys are dumbest and you just cut them loose and let them know you're there for them, but a deal is a deal.

3. MBog

MBog

Don't give in and let him have it, he doesn't deserve it... Drive it yourself...

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Kids need to earn cars so they respect them and the time and effort it takes to purchase or build one. Finish it for yourself and drive the crap outta it. Sure beats driving a Geo Tracker. lol

5. I hear ya man,ive had a similar thing and it rips ya heart out. Drive it yourself to show what you get when you earn it.JW.

6. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

I feel for ya, I've got 4 boys and they're all different. They all come back to you at some time (after a lot of growing up). Put it away for a while and see what he does, if he settles down all good, if not you got yourself a cool ride.

Scotty

7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Kids sometimes do that shit to test boundaries....the most unhappy kids dont have any. Its funny when I would get tough with mine sometimes is when they would be a little more clingy/loving. They will never cop to it but kids love having limits...it gives them a sense of security. Youve been far too nice....you drew a line in the sand...stick to your guns. Hopefully he will come around...late teens is a bitch for boys....good luck brother.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  8. Sounds like a tough decision. If I were you I would finish building the car for yourself. Don't cut him off completely and take him to shows in it and show him how much fun it COULD have been. Then maybe he will smarten up and you could have him find a project that you guys could build for him, then you'll both have bitchin' rides:cool:

9. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I always told my kids if you want something you have to earn it. All three of them have grown up and made something of themselves. They are more responsible then I was at their age. Don't give him anything.

10. Sorry to hear that. My children ar still small but I often think what will happen when they grow up. And then I remember what I thought about my parents and did when I was a teenager.

It's a hard decision but I would keep the car for myself and wait.

If he does not smarten up, you could modify your Geo Tracker like the one below and tell him this is the hotrod that he deserves:

[​IMG]

11. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

12. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Doesn't sound like he is as interested in the truck as you are. Are you really building it for him??

13. I wouldn't give it to him either. As fatherhood approaches (less than 3 months to go), I think about all the cool things I can do with and for the kid as they grow. It seems like it would be heartbreaking to go to such lengths to build a ride for your kid, only to have them not appreciate it.

14. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I agree with #4,7. Don't beat yourself up over this---

15. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

I'm one of seven kids. Five boys. Two girls. We had to buy our own cars, pay for repairs and the insurance. My first car wasn't much but it was MINE and I was proud of it. My father could yell at me for my screwups but he could never take my keys away.

Your boy should have some skin in that game....real skin from his knuckles, and some dough from his part time job. I guarantee you he would never appreciate the gift you were about to hand over. He will appreciate (in several years) the gift you are now giving him...the lesson of consequences for your actions. It bites for you but you are doing the right thing. Enjoy the build for yourself! You are the one who earned it.

16. jmpowie

jmpowie

Did you ever ask him if he wanted a hot rod pickup? When I go to car shows the imports with the 1000 speakers and gullwing doors have all the 16-25yr old around them. The 50-70yr olds are looking at my 29 chevy. What was cool in your school days may not be for your son. I dont know your son but you maybe better off selling the hotrod and building a Honda "with" your son not for him.
    Good luck

17. fleet-master

fleet-master

If you give it to him now ,you'll be giving him stuff for the rest of your life chances are. One of my sons didn't START to grow up till he was around 28yrs old.

18. fleet-master

fleet-master

It sounds like a cool truck too btw. How about a pic or 3?

19. Canus

Canus

As a great man once said "Do not burden your children by making life easy for them".

Hang in and enjoy YOUR new ride.

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would simply GIVE kids no more than I was given. Opportunity. A chance to make or break. Exposure to what I like, but support what they like too. I was exposed to this life as an infant. At 4-5 yrs I was watching Dear ol Dad and my uncle race Late Models. I got hooked on drag racing instead. I helped him build all of his hot rods. He helped me build muscle cars. Later we made our mark in restoration together as there were cars we both liked, Packards. I got exposed to those at 14. He didn't GIVE me nor ever BUILD FOR ME, anything. I left this "life" for few short years, even had my share of troubles now n then, but I never felt that I was entitled to anything but a whole world full of opportunity. So far, no complaints. Well one I guess. I worked too fuckin hard over the years and it's taken a toll.

21. Jimv

Jimv

Mark Twain said:" when i was 14 my father was the most ignorant, intolerable. embarrassing person i have ever met!When i was 21 i couldn't believe how smart the man got in 7 years"!!
    Drive it yourself, SELL him your Geo & enjoy.
    JimV

22. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

Like I tell them " for every action there is a reaction"
    That's the best life lesson you can give him

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. kennb

kennb

Do yourself a favor, and I'm talking from experience. Buy him a $500 Dodge Neon or something similar for a first car. Cause it's gonna hurt you more when you see what that car you built looks like within a year. Kids have little or no appreciation of what it takes to do a car up like that. I know it's your kid, and you want him to be the flashy top dog. Don't do it. He could be a great kid, but kids have other influences that will come into play. They also need to MATURE. Sorry if you didn't like what I had to say, but that's exactly how I feel and I raised 3 great kids, and have 3 great grandkids (who I wouldn't build a first car for). No hard feelings. Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.