Register now to get rid of these ads!

Five Favorite Jeffries Stripe Jobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 9, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. the man was a legend R.I.P

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Any idea on where that 32 is today? I love that car

4. gir431

gir431

Wasn't Jeffries responsible for the paint work on the Ala Kart?

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

I like them all.Mr Jeffries always showed restraint in his work while achieving great artistry.That probably has something to do with his midwestern upbringing.

6. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I like 'em too, but I'm glad he didn't show too much restraint pinstriping the rear of "The Flamer", 32 coupe. (one of my favorites).

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I saw the photo of the Seaburst and it looks alot like the Fireball 500 which George Barris gets credit for. My question is: Did Jeffries design the Fireball 500 or Barris (I know Barris get credit for other peoples work)
    By the way, I am not trying to start up a pissing match (there's enough of them on here already). And sorry about straying from the main topic. I'm just curious. Peace
    RIP Mr. Jeffries

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  8. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

The Flamer Coupe is in Colorado almost finished being restored. The amazing Jeffries painted dash with hanging monkey's survives, but the rest of the car is being re-painted back to it's Flamer version. Von Dutch did a bunch of the striping on the Flamer. It was signed by Von Dutch and Jeffries. Look at the "Art of Von Dutch" book for photos.

The lead image used in this thread is from the Petersen Archive. Man I'm so bummed Dean is gone. What a talent and cool guy.

-Aaron

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

That is a whole mess(in a good way) of pinstriping.To me,pinstriping is like crack cocaine.When I was a high school kid in Omaha,there was a guy that used to pinstripe cars out on Dodge street.Once I got my first hit,I was looking for my next stripe candidate.And this was in the late 70s/early 80s,when it looked like hand striping was a dying art form.

10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Actually George Barris sprayed the paint and scallops on Ala Kart, and Jeffries did just the striping. Thats why I left that one off my list! :rolleyes:

11. Curt Six

Curt Six

In the complete photo you can see that is Spence Murray kneeling down just to the right of the Dream Truck's fender. We asked Spence about that particular photo, and he explained that Dean striped it the night before Spence left to take the truck across the country for a few car shows. The striping was so fresh, it rubbed off the truck and wound up on the inside of the car cover by the time he reached the first show. Here's Spence's story (and a few others that I thought were really cool) http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4a901c25eb18819b5c27d49b7&id=256e9ba0e1&e=2eaaffe7ce

I'm not sure you can get away with a thread on Dean's striping/painting without mentioning Carol Lewis' '56 Chevy. The package tray alone makes my head spin. It's not necessarily "beautiful" in the same way as the striping on the Dream Truck or Junior's shoebox, but it was so cool. And those flames...

Attached Files:

12. He really had some cool style, not only cars and striping, but personal as well...no tats, earrings, whiskers, or the forever popular "I'm bad" attitude because I wield a brush. He was the real rebel. Might be a lesson in there for wanna be car builders and pinstripers.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That bares repeating.:D

14. catdad49

catdad49

The little shoebox with the panel painting was a big WoW to me when I first saw it. Still pretty cool today!! Lets keep this post going for the younger guys. Thanks, Carp

15. weez

weez

I love how integrated the striping is with the rest of the modifications on the Conway shoebox, as burned out on striping as I am, I really dig it on that car!

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  16. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great post Jay. Love Dean Jeffries work, especially Carol Lewis' 56. Anyone have more pics of that or any of his other stuff?

17. 'Mo

'Mo

Jeffries did the striping on Anne DeValle's Barris built '42 Ford.
    I think this represents a significant development in the evolution of "Kustoms".

[​IMG]

18. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Dean was such an amazing guy and we hit it off so quickly. I'm so sad that I was just there 6 weeks ago and now he's gone. Gave great tips/advice about pinstriping, custom building, and his true passion for automobiles and art. He never cared about the money or fame, and when asked he didn't have hard feelings against his buddies that made money of things he pioneered like the monster shirts (Roth), or the flying eyeball (Von Dutch). He actually had a bunch of his original prints from high school and the early years at the shop last time, so him and I sorted through and gawked at them, one being the "original" flying eyeball sketch he did in '50. A quote I'll never forget when asked about Barris stealing credit for his work over the years, "At the end of the day, I can go to sleep at night knowing I did the right thing and that everything I've ever produced has been 100 percent original. I've been paid back for doing the right thing by fans, friends, and the new 335i a BMW exec recently gave me. My life has been bitchin."

Jon

P.S. Side note for those that care: Steve Wozniak used to stop by Dean's shop every couple months and hangout and chat for days and hours on end. Dean told us he flew his private jet to LA and was coming in mid-April to hangout for two weeks to teach him how to use the new iMac and iPad he was bringing him. Even Steve knew he was special.

19. fatkoop

fatkoop

It's in Pueblo, Co. and has belonged to a friend of mine for at least 30 or 40 years. Story is, he got it in trade for some work he did. (It once belonged to the Zupan Brothers in Pueblo, who also owned the Bettancourt Merc, and a beautiful green mid '50's F-100 that was a magazine feature in the early books, and they also owned Junior Conway's beautiful shoebox Ford) The Jeffries striping is still on the dash of the '32, but the outside of the car has primer on it the last time I heard. The current owner has started to "restore" it back to its prime but it's still got a ways to go. It's safe and in good hands.

20. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks to all who make this site what it is! Everybody have a great day, Carp

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Do yourself a favor and buy his book. Rest in peace.

22. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I think he did the flames on Kookie's T.

Attached Files:

23. oddcraig

oddcraig

This is a great little article thanks. I have always loved the way Jeffries highlighted the various aspects of the car rather than just laying down a f**k off size design on the hood yet can go completely the opposite and throw some crazy in the mix like on the Flamer

24. oddcraig

oddcraig

Title?

25. Karrera

Karrera

I always like the flames on his 33 Ford - took this shot in the Petersen a few years ago:

[​IMG]

26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Any pictures? I remember the car from way back, always wondered what happened to it.