Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bangngears, Jun 29, 2013.

1. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I am not real familier with y blocks and have a chance to buy a pretty nice 56 Ford 2 door post with a locked up motor.Its a v8,maybe a 272?Well i then located a guy with a nice running 60 Ford truck with what he thinks is a 292 or 312 with a 4speed.I guess everyone gets the plan by now,so any major issues with putting the 292/312 in the 56 with the car transmission.I do not need or want the truck tranny,so may try to buy without the tranny or if not sell it for whatever.Thoughts?

2. dano1930

dano1930

the truck bell housing and timing cover is different as the bell housing in the trucks mount to a crossmember and same deal with the timing cover, but if you've still got the 272 just switch out the timing cover and bell housing and you should be good to bolt right up to your tranny in the car. Just bear in mind that almost everyone who is selling a y block seems to have a 312, the chances are its a 292 especially since its in a 60 truck the only way to tell for sure is to look at the main cap castings, ECZ is 312 and EBU in most cases is 256, 272, 292. Absolutely nothing wrong with a 292 though they're great i love 'em. Also bear in mind its not uncommon at all to unlock a y block and have a reasonable runner, if its not too bad to start off with. theres plenty of threads on here explaining how to do that. seems as though your in a good position though you can have one in the car and rebuild the other thats what id do.

3. Should just bolt right in. Truck engine would be a 292 and much better engine than what was in a 56. Is your car going to be an auto or a manual trans? If you have an old Fordomatic in the sedan and want to go to a manual, be sure to get the flywheel/clutch parts with the engine.
    Forgot about the front timing cover but it just has extra bolt holes, not a problem.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Truck and passenger car have different bellhousings,as the transmission mount area differs. ROY

5. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

312 also has a dot on the crank. 292s are great engines.

If its a 272, just change out all the car components to the (most likely) 292 truck engine and drop it in.

I believe youll need to use a car oil pan and would require you to move the dipstick tube from the center to the front. The car motor mounts interfer with the dip stick in the center location.

The truck bell with the slave cyclinder mount is a good piece that sells.

Just about everything you will need to identify the engines.
    http://www.ford-y-block.com/techincal.htm

Best of luck.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  6. 4rod

4rod

typically, 292 and 272 in trucks...most likely a 292 for that year...which in my opinion is the better of the 312 and 272...I sure Tim M. would pipe in if he see's this thread...

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What dano 1930 said. The Y Block was a great "mix n match" engine series.

4TTRUK

8. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As previously stated, after swapping bellhousing and front cover the engine will bolt right in, assuming the engine in the truck is a Y Block. In 1960 the only Y Block offered was a 292. If the truck is a heavy duty model, 500 or larger, along with the 292 also a 302 and 332 were available which at first glance look like a Y Block but in fact are based on the Lincoln engine with nothing interchangeable with your 56.
    To verify, look at the 5th digit of the truck serial number. If it is a "C" you have a 292.
    Assuming you care, the first digit of the serial number on your 56 will tell you the engine it came with:
    U = 272
    M = 292
    P = 312

And use the distributor out of the truck engine, it is a better unit.

9. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I appreciate the responses i have gotten.The 56 car is a 3 speed stick,the truck a 4 speed.65 Comet says the bell housings are differant.Differant at the mount or at the engine? I will be using the car bellhousing and am just concerned if the engine to bell housing will bolt up.Thank you guys,but still not completely sraight on the change over.

10. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

y-block trans bolt patterns are all the same , so you will have no problem using the 56 bell housing

11. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

the change over is just a simple remove and replace everything will cross from your 272 to the 292 or 312 which ever it turns out to be

12. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

btw keep the 272 it can be bored out to a std 292 . a fresh set of slugs and rings and viola its a 292

13. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Than you Vintagetinman,makes it easier now.

14. A Rodder

A Rodder

Aaaannnddddd, there is arguably nothing that sounds better than one!