Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking of using a 390 ford motor in a model t.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2xcrash, Jun 29, 2013.

1. 2xcrash

2xcrash

I've got a solid running 72f100 that I can't seam to give away. The body is shot but the drive train runs great. I've been hoarding parts and thinking about pilling the motor trans breaks and using them for the t, selling some other stuff off it and scraping the rest. Anyone seen this motor in a t? Should I beef up the stock frame I have or make a new one out of 2x3?

2. 40sketter

40sketter

not using it in a T but have one in my 57 Lincoln and its a champ just heavy as hell. great engine hope uve got a idea on cooling the beast down im running a 160 degree thermostat and dual electric fans on a big alum rad gd luck

3. Fenders

Fenders

Depends how you're gonna drive it. Beef up the stock frame for a mild street driver.
    But I suggest with that motor a T frame is a little flimsy... if you are gonna make a new frame, go to 2 X 4.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Personally I would build a new frame, those engines are pretty torquey and would destroy an original frame IMHO. They are wider and longer than common SBCs & SBFs and set back will be a issue with firewall and space in the foot well area. Also transmission bellhousing will consume additional space. You'll need a rear end so get a narrower 9" or possibly an Explorer rear end with 31 spline axles?

Down here were build solid frames due to poor quality roads and always, as required by our rules, use beefy K-members to stop the frame twisting under load. Given a 'T' is flimsy body, a sturdy base would be an asset not a hindrance.

5. shame your in CA I have a 72 f100 I drive daily mines pretty solid but I could allways use parts laying around "in case" you sure you have a 390? mine has a360 which looks just like a390

as far as the T I would at very least box the original frame a big ol f/e weighs a bit more then a banger

6. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I think an aluminum ladder is sturdier than a stock T frame. I'd build or buy new.

Blue

7. Scumdog

Scumdog

Same here in NZ - and anyway, you need a sturdy frame as you want your 'suspension' to work - not the frame to twist.

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

In addition to having a sturdy frame, you are going to have some serious problems with room. Model T's are tiny and the engine compartment is also tiny. It can be done but it is going to be quite a challenge.

9. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I am 100% on board with using stock T frames for rods... But not with that motor. To big to heavy

10. mattrod68

mattrod68

fe with an aluminum intake weighs about the same as an iron headed and manifolded sbc.

just to play devils advocate but, definately build a strnger frame for the torque of that fe!!

matt

11. 2xcrash

2xcrash

The motor has an aluminum intake, cam, headers, and I know it's reliable. But I'm thinking if its going to take a lot of major mods. Ill see if I can sell the motor and trans and pick up something else for it? I'm still in the planing stage.

12. Even with an aluminium manifold the 390 is pushing 700 lbs. I have one in my 34 chev and had to recess the firewall 4 inches and was tight for steering as well.

Attached Files:

13. boutlaw

boutlaw

Been running one in my 31 for a couple of years now. Firewall is recessed 5 inches and I'm running a T-5 behind it with a 57 Ranchero 9 Inch in back. Little crowded in the pedal department at first but now its not an issue. I'm also using a Flaming River reversed Corvair box. FE's are a bit more expensive to build, but, as previously mentioned, with an aluminum intake and water pump they are not as heavy as most people think. You definitely would need a good frame and I don't think a modified T frame would cut it, IMHO. If money is an issue you should weigh the cost of a frame vs purchase/building of a another smaller engine. I happen to like FE's.
    [​IMG]

BOutlaw

14. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Standard engine swap rule is the most expensive swap is the one that starts with a free motor. Sounds like selling it and using something a bit more conventional will be easier and cheaper in the long run.

15. 2xcrash

2xcrash

Thanks all. Will sell and go with a different motor combo