Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1935 Olds 3w coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Jan 3, 2011.

1. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Any one could plate these . . . but I needed someone who would give a shit enough to fine tune the shapes and get the reflections to flow.
    I sent them to the HAMB's own - Josh the Plater. I got them back a few days ago. . . opened the box and WOW . . unbelieveably nice work.

These photo's do not do these things justice . . . I'll post more later but here is what I have for now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

nice, hope i live long enough to see it finished.cool car

3. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

nice... i hope i live long enough to work on it.

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic! Great work.

5. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I hope you do too! Here's the plan- complete frame and drivetrain, then drive it around the block a few times, then start replacing all of the wood in the body, then. . . deliver to Dante for a black paint job . . .if he is still alive.

6. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

sounds like a plan. let's hope that the New-mobile gets done soon. before it gets dated and becomes an Oldsmobile again. haha

you would pick black too, huh.

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Possibly the nicest bumper guard tail lights ive seen.
    Some of the nicest w/out the shadow of a doubt.
    Great!

8. soundqdoug

soundqdoug

You know where I can find a set of extra hood sides? I want to use them for donor inserts...

9. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

What rear did you use in this? I am getting ready to start working on a 36 Buick and I want to use the original wheels. They are 5x5 bolt pattern. I have a MII front I need to get a brake kit for the 5x5 bolt pattern as well. Thanks

10. tinmann

tinmann

Must be time for an update on this car anyway.......

11. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Southwest Speed sells 5 x 5 pattern MII rotors. . . I used them to allow me to run my 5x5 35 olds artillery wheels.

I started with a 56 olds rear that was close to the original width- but when I mocked it up it didn't fill the fenders out well. So I looked around and found that a 96-99 caprice police car rear was the right width, 5x5 pattern, and has disk brakes and posi-track so I hunted for one but ended up replacing the auburn posi with a new eaton.

12. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Rear suspension. . . DONE!!!!!!!

I think this took a full year. Work has been busy so I haven't had much time. I also had to make the shock mount / sway bar mount bracket 3 times. . . because I am dumb. . . but persistent.

Anyway- first I made curved frame rail sections to let the rear come up into the frame. Those were installed with internal gussets so that they flow right from the stock rails. then I added some gussets top and bottom where the x-member meets the frame- since the 4 bars were going to mount to the x member.

The curved upper bars are weird I know. The strongest connection is obviously a straight line but this allowed the bars (which are solid 1" dia.) to follow the frame curve when it is aired out and not cut up into the floor space. If was doing this over I would have run them straight. . . I probably spent more on oxy/acetylene to heat and bend those big bars than on anything else. It was hard and not worth it.

The rear is a 99 caprice cop car rear with disk brakes and a bad posi that I replaced with an eaton. It's not the prettiest rear but it fits perfect.

Altogether I am starting to feel like I need to drive this car before I die. . . so I am going to try not to go quite as nuts on the details if I can help myself. It's just taking too long because I am getting a bit too creative.

Next- in goes the 324 and T-5. . .but don't hold your breath.

Attached Files:

13. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Here it is from the back

Attached Files:

14. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I guess I am too slow to hold anyone's attention. Oh well. . . now I am making my own intake to put Weber IDA's on the Olds 324. . .

15. Muzz

Muzz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work so far but Weber's? Your choice, interested to know why these are your preference?

16. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I just like IDA's, the way they work and are designed.
    Also, I always wanted to make my own intake and it seemed weird to make one for 3x2's or something that you can buy off the shelf cast in aluminum.

17. People are watching and interested. Keep up the amazing work.

18. Amazing craftsmanship .Really like the factory stamped look on your details.

19. Rocket88

Rocket88

It's great to see that you've kept the car and are working on it again.
    Ever since I saw your original post way back when, I've wanted one!
    The car looks great, keep up the good work.
    How about posting a pic of the engine.

20. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Nice attention to details. You've obviously got some skills, I'm interested to see the home made intake.

21. Webers on an early Olds; now you've got my attention.....
    Are you thinking of a "log" type manifold?

(Nice job on the rear-end install.....and the t-light "bumper-ettes")

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  22. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

fit-up done on the custom intake
    39 separate pieces of metal cut and welded together- so there is a lot of welding and grinding left to do to make it look good. I bent a piece of sheetmetal over the valley so I could build this on the top of the motor without ruining the motor.

I modeled this all in cad 3d to balance the runner lengths and get the layout figured out- then of course had to adjust a bunch of it as I worked in the real world.

Each runner feeds two cylinders and there is a small plenum - more like a balance tube- I hope it will have some of the crispness of those inglesse set-ups but with a little more simplicity with 2 carbs rather than 4.

fun!

Attached Files:

23. Murch

Murch

Great work on the intake, I always thought those IDA carbs looked cool, anyways keep on going its coming together.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. bct

bct

one of a kind........ car and intake.

25. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Nice job on fitting up the one off intake!!

Are you going to weld it in a jig to try and prevent the flanges from warping?

I built one for my 29 when I had it, it was a tri power log intake that was home made and I tig welded it in a jig, it still warped the flanges and had a big vacuum leak, ended up milling the flanges down about 40 thou and ran good after that.

Very nice fab work and will be watching to see how it runs when the time comes. Keep up the good work!

26. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Thanks for the comments- you are making me think about this more.
    I had assumed that if I build it bolted in place on the motor with this thin sheet metal between that it would hold it's shape. I have been surprised by how much things want to move- I already welded the carb mount flange and had to re-straighten it.

I have also been welding each runner from the center outward so I can reach inside and use my port grinder to smooth any interior welds as I go. The order I have planned will leave only be 4 final welds at the flanges.

I hope this will work . . . . maybe this is why you never see complex designs for custom intakes. I have been looking at a lot of inliner designs.

27. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

28. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

That intake looks GREAT. Awesome work.

29. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Tom-

I think of you every time I see a grill shell or hood on ebay. I hope your build is progressing well.

30. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I put the engine and transmission in today, and everything looks to be lining up well . . . it looks like I might be able to use the stock pedal assembly and e-brake with a little modification. I am even going to be able to flatten the firewall (it has an off-center indent). Money is really tight at the moment so motor mounts, modifying pedals, e-brake, etc. is good work to be doing and will keep me going for a few months with head scratching and problem solving- fun stuff.