Register now to get rid of these ads!

When did using rock salt for show displays start?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devoz, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The only time I used a white flooring material was in 1966 and it was small white gravel. Much easier to clean up, plus you could scoop it up and use it in the garden...
    In 1967, our car club used redwood bark....same deal, took it home for the garden.
    Much simpler to use and it won't ruin anything.
    That was my last car show.

2. hazegry

hazegry
    from VA

lol when I was a kid me and my buddy dumped 2 beanbag chairs full of those pellets out in the basement to play in the "snow" with our hotwheels cars lol. I don't think I sat down for a month every time mom found more pellets I got it. I spent allot of time vacuuming everything I could to get them before she did.

As far as salt under a car its not mine so hey whatever floats your boat. My truck is never going to be so nice I can show it like that but I would rather smile ear to ear driving the wheels off it.

3. fsae0607

fsae0607

My thoughts exactly!:D

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Handy in case you need a pinch or 2 on your show snacks too.

5. The other way round, take the overloaded salt off the show pretzels and throw it on the floor.

6. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

They started using it when Cows started going to shows so they could provide them salt licks! WTF?
    Jay

7. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Because Mrs. Dash hadn't been invented yet?

8. I'd like to see those shipping peanuts used,hahaha That would be crazy chasing those around....

9. mikes51

mikes51

[​IMG]

10. El Baboso

El Baboso
    from San Diego

Actually the salt was required by the promoter for some of the classes at Ink n Iron Motorama. I believe they wanted to keep a certain look for the event. I'm not used to using any salt or display's and was kind of a pain in the ass but I must admit that it looked kinda cool and had a vintage vibe.

Oh, and I drove my car there from San Diego.

11. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I hope you guys like this display. I worked my ass off spreading out the salt And then some guy parked right in front of me!! :mad:

Attached Files:

12. They were worse than shipping peanuts..these were the size of the pellets in the old bean bag chairs..they were sticking on people's pants etc.. It was bad..

Old ISCA show in Wheeling W.Va in 1978 or 1979..bunch of yahoo rednecks from the hollers (I'm from W.va originally so I can say that).

Remember how you would get points for displaying gas/oil/water cans? The guy who owned my car brought in his round 5 gallon lawn mower gas can..no joke...

I have pics of that..

13. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

I don't give a fuck what is piled, draped, propped up or spread around a car, if I like the car I will look at it, if I don't like it I won't. The car is what I want to see not some other bunch of shit.

14. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

I'm not much for the salt but I get all giddy when I see the cotton candy peekin' out of the exhaust pipes.

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outside of covering butt ugly concrete floors in some of the buildings that car shows are put on in it reflects the light back up on the cars to help being out the color of the car. That helps bring out the details in the car so that people can see them and helps a hell of a lot when a guy is trying to photograph a car at an indoor show.

Plus it is inexpensive and lets a guy who drives his car in have a semblance of a display without having to truck a load of stuff in to make up a display.

17. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Ok here you go,salt and all,and still to this day one week ago from the event ending..not one rust hole has emerged haha

Attached Files:

18. Really? This was the first time Trace had me take care of the Dome,so I didn't know he "required" salt around the cars. I thought it was optional.

19. pitman

pitman

Fe2 + NaCl + H20 = "later, dudes"

20. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's no H20 in an indoor car show.

21. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

yes it doesn't rain in a indoor car show,so I don't know why people think there is water around,pretty freaking dumb..anyway why is it super cool and hardcore to ride the salt flats with either your rod or have your custom photographed there,but having salt at an indoor show gets the dumb asses out in full force to give their opinion on how bad it is??

22. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

It may not rain on an indoor car show, but there is still humidity in the air, espeically if there is a large crowd of people. Salt doesn't care where the "water" comes from, it just reacts to it.

23. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

come on..fuck it was for 72 damn hrs and the salt didn't touch the freaking paint..WTF

24. Special Ed

Special Ed

Dude ... this is Southern California. We don't know what humidity is. We don't get any snow, so we don't salt our roads. Our water is imported from hundreds of miles away. The few indoor shows that we do have are in air-conditioned buildings. A/C removes the humidity that we don't have to begin with. :cool:

25. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Thankyou Ed. Logic will win all the time.

26. daddio211

daddio211

Ha ha ha, exactly!

Someone should start a thread called "What was the first black car?" Then we can listen to the experts tell us how stupid black paint is and that its not traditional.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. 27T

27T

I like the idea, looks cool and should keep most assholes from touching your car. Pics look better than a car that is chained or roped off. I had my car in an indoor show recently and was really disappointed in how may people sat on the tires, leaned on the car, or just put there hands all over it

28. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

You'll usually find sawdust and oil dry around mine.

29. reverenddevil

reverenddevil

I was going to show my car under the done where they thought it should be. But when i found out how much i would need to pay to use salt where it was required for a 20x20 space i quickly said no thanks unfortunately

30. mikes51

mikes51

In college I took a class in transportation advanced rendering. Drawing lots of cars for the most part. One of the things we learned is down by the rockers , we brightened the car by drawing in the reflection of the ground color. It makes for a better looking drawing. So I can see how the salt is doing the same by reflecting light back up to the car.