Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The life of Losthope's 1954 Ford!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Aug 31, 2011.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

After you run it a while they should settle about another 1/2"-3/4" stance is looking good!

2. Looking good.

3. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks bugsy! When I get it of non-op I can drive it and see how it rides!

Thanks for the support! If you do make it this way hit me up your more then welcome to check it out, even tho its still pretty rough the pictures make it look better LOL,...

I was thinking the same thing!

Thanks! I Like the truck in your avatar!

Today I got a package from "obsolete parts" and it contained the special shouldered hood bolts for these early fords:

[​IMG]

Long time ago doing the body swap I had missed placed the bolts for the hood and like a dumb-ass I installed some regular old bolts in the hood instead of ordering the $12 54 ford hood bolts, which is a big NO NO and a great way to tweak a good set of hood hinges(54 ford hinges are pricey)...mine used to close perfect, but now the drivers side hinge is tweaked a little and no matter how much I adjust it cant get it to close all the way, the passenger side still closes great, nice and flush.....Guess I learned my lesson, Oh well! I'll keep messing with it and see if I can get it to sit a little better:

[​IMG]

4. Blake84

Blake84

Damn had no clue you were doing the truck and this....just read from beginning to end n this thread. Great job love both your builds!

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Anything new with the 54?? Have you been driving her at all??

6. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks Blake!

Unfortunately My construction jobs have been slow so scrapping and selling on ebay have been my main source of income and any money made has been going back into the household or the truck gas tank to haul more metal and also some minor replacement parts work on the truck and the 73 vw bug to keep them running as daily drivers for Lady and I ! I have been doing a little bit of body work but nothing significant enough to post pictures of. It also has started raining so until I have funds to work on the 54 I think that it may have to stay on non-op and ill just continue to work on it over the winter and hopefully have it presentable for next years car show season......

the latest picture:

Sad sight to see it under a car cover..
    [​IMG]

7. Squablow

Squablow

Mine did on my '52, it'll sit nice once you get a few miles on it, and they really do ride that much nicer with the new springs.

8. marty1835

marty1835
    from webster ny

thanks for the skirt hardware idea. i just picked up some of those patio door locks,skirts are painted and i found some rubber trim.

thanks again!!!
    Marty

9. LostHope

LostHope

Well fellow Hamber's, Alot has happened since I last posted on the 54 or my truck build, The ol'lady and i ended up,moving into a 5th wheel on the side of her parents house (rent and bill free) to save up some money for a future nest egg , the plan is to save as much money we can for a year or two, and then move to another part of California, so thats great for us....the down side is theres not alot of room to work on my rides but i will try and get stuff done here and there and will post updates when i can...

Today was a great day tho for the 54, I took it off of non-op and reg and insured it, and I drove it for the first time in a few years and since the th350 trans was installed(has been driven before by the girlfriend while i rode shotgun in crutches and a cast this was the first time i actually drove it since its been drivable) ,I only drove it around the block from a buddys house i towed it to and stored for a month till we got done moving,but I was still nervous but it was exciting, didnt drive it far because I need to add some trans fluid since it leaked a quart or so while it was stored, and i dont have the back bumper on it at the moment...but soon as i get those issues fixed ,im going to spray bomb it with one color primer and be rolling the wheels off it...

At its new home parked in front of the house on the side street(we live on a dead end road) for the time being:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  10. LostHope

LostHope

Showed the 54 some love today!

been driving it around town a little , and seems to run and drive fine! took it over to my buddy Richie's garage and started sanding down the whole body so the cars really dusty in the pictures , working on the body getting it ready to shoot it all in a couple real coats of primer instead rattle canning it..goal is to get it in a decent color paint in the next few months ,right now were just focusing on some major areas, but it still has to be parked on the side of the street , so when the time comes all the bumpers,trim will be pulled off and we'll continue to surface sand some areas around the grill and bumpers, mask and tape and shoot the primer..

first of Richie focused on the bubbled out bondo rust hole on the pass. fender:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

while i used the stud gun and pulled out some dents on both the driver and pass. side rockers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i started to tackle the rust spots on the hood corners:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cut out the bad spots and started making some patch panels:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

getting them fit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

tacking them in, dont worry i did put on a helmet after i got them tacked:
    [​IMG]

results! the fender patch will have to have 3/8 bondo smeared back on it to match rest of the fender but at least now it doesnt have a rusting hole:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dont think it turned out to bad for a couple of patch panel rookies!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats it for now still have a couple more areas to patch..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    ROBERT M MARTIN likes this.
  11. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Looks great, Bud!!!! I have always loved this car. Glad to see that you've been able to plug away some on the truck too. Sounds like you should be able to sock away some dough in the future as well. I hope all else is going good for you and keep up the good work!!

J.

12. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man you're doing a great job with this build! Love your car!

13. LostHope

LostHope

Hey Jason! Was wondering if you were still lurking around here...hope alls going well over there and hope your getting some time to work on the dust bowl?

Thanks man!

Been doing some body work here and there still have more to do but was tired of the way the car looked and kinda embarrassed to driving it around the way it was so I got the body looking pretty good and decided to rattle can epoxy primer it one color, Ill still touch a few things up here and there and then shoot another real coat of primer out of a gun when the time comes and then plan on paint...this is how me and my friend Richie got today...tomorrow ill finish pulling the rest of the tape and the grill and bumpers will go back on for awhile while i drive it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ROBERT M MARTIN likes this.
  14. Blake84

Blake84

Damn dude looks really nice!

15. Gearhead_666

Gearhead_666

Looking good man, I dig your ride. makes me want to pull out my 53 2 dr coupe and start working on it again.

16. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks guys!

17. Looks great Tim,,,:)

Remember this line?,,"What are you talking about ill just swap the todor door body on the driving fordor it'll be easy!:D

18. LostHope

LostHope

HAHA ya thats my signature quote on the 54 ford forum, Funny because im still not done and hasnt been easy...and been years ago since i uttered those words! but hey its been a learning experience and is slowly one step at a time getting closer......one day,one day!

19. Looks great little buddy!

20. LostHope

LostHope

heres some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man...like your truck, this proves that if you are willing to put in the time and effort, you don't need a pile of money or a fancy ass shop and equipment for a cool ride. One thing's for sure, your builds are encouraging and inspiring to a lot of us. You have two, drivable vehicles that look kick ass because you use your sweat and energy and not just your wallet. There are a lot of guys who have a lot more time, money and equipment but still don't have even one cool ride on the road.

Keep it up Bro......

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  22. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

23. It's come a long way.

24. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

just ready through the whole thing and am now subscribing. awesome.

25. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Looks good in primer, love those body styles. Keep up the good work.

26. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Look good!!!!!!

27. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks everyone! I just received my frontend rebuild kit , so that'll be the next up coming project as soon as i get some free time, Figured by the looks of it that it hasnt been done since the car came from the factory and even tho it still drives and steers decent that im going to try and focus on more of the drivetrain and brakes system for awhile, something i should of done when i first got the car, guess i was just younger and more focused on the looks (even tho it never looked that great LOL) then the important stuff...

28. ImpalaBob60

ImpalaBob60
    from Havana, IL

wow, that's oh so nice....

I like!

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

30. LostHope

LostHope

No Update on the Ford,but did get to hang out with "GlenDale" and "Tragic59" this weekend and had my 54 ford emblem tattooed on the top of my hand:

[​IMG]

so now i have both my Chevy c10 and ford embels :
    [​IMG]

and then my neck:
    [​IMG]

"tragic"on the gun:
    [​IMG]

"Glendale" on the table:
    [​IMG]

had to leave before "glendales" tattoo's were done so didnt get pictures but had fun hanging out with the boys in the car club!