Register now to get rid of these ads!

9" Ford yoke (s)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Boul, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Hi gents...Seems like there are tons of F1's with various transmission, rear-end and driveshaft combinations. In my case I'm converting a 4-speed Dana 44 combo to a standard duty 3-speed column shift 9". Needless to say I've had to round up lots of "stuff" since none of the 4-speed Dana stuff will cross over. Here's the question: Has anyone found a 9" yoke that is long enough to make up for the now "short" driveshaft? One of the posts on the search engine mentioned a mid 70's Ford station wagon yoke. Was hoping someone would give me a bit more info...

FYI: I started with a extremely clean 52 F1. By winter I'll have the flattie engine installed. 4" crank, Sharp heads, Melling camshaft, Reds headers, mellowtones and a John Erb VS 57. Thanks as always, g

2. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

There are 2 lengths, 4" and 5" overall.

They also come in 1310 u-joint, 1330 small cap (1.062" ⌀) and 1330 big cap(1.125" ⌀), in both lengths.

You can yard hunt or buy new ones from a driveline shop.

Attached Files:

3. mtflat

mtflat

With the 4 spd in a half ton - is the driveshaft 1 or 2 pieces? Or in other words, where is your slip joint: on the output shaft of the trans or on the front of the driveshaft?

As far as the station wagon pinion yoke, all I've ever heard was mid-70's.

When I did the 9" swap in my 48 I went to a local driveline shop, explained how much longer I needed a new one to be. He took one look, walked over to a shelf of pre-made slip-yokes and handed it to me.

I have the HD 3 so my slip joint is on the front of the driveshaft. Output shaft of the trans has a yoke bolted to it like the 4 spds I've seen in F2-up

4. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

In my experience, the long yokes seem to be on the shrouded pinion carriers.

This pinion carrier has a D2AW casting number. The rear came from a '74 Mercury Marquis (not a wagon). I have a rear from a '72 wagon, but I don't know where I put the center section. I remember it being the same as the Merc rear.

If you want something different, Lincolns came with a round flange and a speed sensor for the "Sure Trak" rear anti-lock brakes. ('76 Mark)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

5. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

With the 4 spd in a half ton - is the driveshaft 1 or 2 pieces? One piece Or in other words, where is your slip joint: on the output shaft of the trans or on the front of the driveshaft?

As far as the station wagon pinion yoke, all I've ever heard was mid-70's.

When I did the 9" swap in my 48 I went to a local driveline shop, explained how much longer I needed a new one to be. He took one look, walked over to a shelf of pre-made slip-yokes and handed it to me.

I have the HD 3 so my slip joint is on the front of the driveshaft. Same as mine Output shaft of the trans has a yoke bolted to it like the 4 spds I've seen in F2-up
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    They were right........the world IS flat!

6. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

There are 2 lengths, 4" and 5" overall.

They also come in 1310 u-joint, 1330 small cap (1.062" &#8960;) and 1330 big cap(1.125" &#8960;), in both lengths.

You can yard hunt or buy new ones from a driveline shop.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>
    Thanks. I think I can get there with the 5" yoke. That might just work. I have the correct splinned input, driveshaft, truck 3-speed, mini bellhousing and starter plate. But who the heck knows the stuff came from 5 different trucks...
    regardless, thanks g

7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Thanks all...when i solve it I'll post exactly what is needed...and it won't be make the driveshaft longer, scoot the motor back or build a spacer between the trans and block!