Register now to get rid of these ads!

I can't get Insurance on my hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyrods, Jun 3, 2013.

1. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

CHROME could insure it as well.

2. jazz1

jazz1

Limited driving with hagerty or grundy but without fenders you are already limited to only being able to drive when its not raining or snowing. I carry regular insurance on my old truck so i can drive whenever and wherever the heck i want.

3. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Agreed, I have 3 cars with state farm, each time they asked how much do you want it insured for, named the value, next day had my insurance cards. Sounds like, if you have a small local agent, they either dont care for or are too afraid to insure the oldies.... My agent asked to buy one of mine when i was trying to insure it, when i said no, he asked for me to find/build him one.... I guess its different from place to place? But state farm has a shit ton of policy's for classics..... Plus my agent told me he's not gonna limit my mileage, even though he says there is a limit on how much per year, he's not gonna tell on me or even record it..

4. no55mad

no55mad

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What 3Deuce40 said. Just went with them after Grundy dissed.

5. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Your agent has little to no influence on what coverage is available. It's the underwriters that determine if they will cover you, your car or nothing.

6. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

another happy Grundy customer. I had Hagerty for yrs...but I got a better rate with grundy..

7. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

My 66 F-100 is getting flagged at Stae Farm, because it has surface rust, I have an appraisal etc, stating such, they are threating to drop it off our policy, and we just swiched over to them a month ago, and at that time there were no issues. American family would insure it, but not under agreed value, only stated value.

8. ...he's on the road with Hagerty!

9. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

I originally had all my cars and home with State Farm. They also carried my 54 Buick. However, when I purchased a new home and inquired about home owners on the new dwelling State Farm was $400.00 over other insurers. I now use Farmers for my regular drivers and home owners. My Buick is covered by Hagerty. Hagerty is in the business of insuring old cars. Rusty or not.

10. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

I have broad form through Viking Insurance company wisconsin. Covers you in anything liabillity wise. $36.00 a month.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I just renewed mine this week with Grundy. $186 a year for $25 K on my 27. I haven't had any reason to change, I send them the money and they send me an insurance card. :D

Don

12. What you're going to find with the specialty insurance companies is they want to see the car will be garaged. Which is why I went to State Farm. They never looked at my car and it was never an issue. Being a '50 Chevy in rough shape I only insured it for like $2500 agreed value. And I didn't have to keep it in a garage.

I suspect for the OP that's not an issue, though, you wouldn't keep a roadster outdoors all the time.

But, when I wanted to see if they'd do me a liability so I could get into the flea market here, they turned me down because what I'd be selling wasn't specific enough. Used household items and some hobby items - how specific do I need to be? It's a damn flea market, I'm going to sell whatever I feel like getting rid of.

13. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

All of the specialty insurers I have talked with require the car to be garaged. Some have severe limits on mileage as to what type of driving you can do.

14. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

This post reminded me that I have yet to get full coverage on my galaxie, I went with Hagerty, they seem like cool people, and the online registration process is very simple and straightfoward. Thanks guys!

15. i GOT HAGERTY THRU sTATE fARM COST LESS THAN lIABILTY

16. Marti Ann

Marti Ann

The Auto Club will do it here in So Cal

17. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

We have been with hagerty for about 15 years and they are great! Very affordable and if you have a claim they are ON IT! My day hit a BIG dog with his 46' ford pickup a few months ago and within a few days he had a check in his hand.

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

X2--without doubt.

19. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I just renewed my 20k policy With Hagerty for $231 a year.:D:):D:p:D

20. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

S/F sucks almost as bad as "Gecko" IMHO

Another vote for Hagerty or Grundy