Register now to get rid of these ads!

Observation!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Boul, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Obviously most of the "Hambers" are real car guys (gals) and many are post war baby boomers (WW II). My guess is one particular car "started" it all. In my case it was a 1962 Impala ss. Red and red with a 409 / 409. 4-speed factory tach and a 4:56...I can still see it and feel it...it smelled new (it was)! I remember riding around one summer night looking for a race!!! It belonged to an older friend who was a tug boat captain. Interesting thing is; it's 50+ years later and I've never owned one...

I wonder how many "Hambers" never owned their "dream car"? Could I possibly be the only one? What say you?

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

as a kid in the late 50's, I must of built the AMT 25T coupe 20 times. when Clark Bates put his T up for sale, it filled the bill for me........I guess you could consider that a dream car

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There are still two cars in my bucket list that I will probably never have........a chopped but full fendered 32 coupe and a 55 Chevy done like Two Lane Blacktop. For some reason I have never done either of those over the years but would love to.

Don

4. Steel 32 three window would be the one I have allways wanted. Don't know if it is ever going to happen as old age is kicking in at 73. But I am still looking for one.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I probably have had a couple of my "dream cars' including the 51 Merc coupe I drove to high school and owned for 32 years and the 34 Ford tudor I had but never built when I lived in Texas.
    Getting started? I got hauled home from the hospital in this:
    [​IMG]
    According to several of My dad's friends it had the loudest pipes in the county at the time. Dual burned out steel packs.

6. aaggie

aaggie

If I owned my dream car it wouldn't be a dream anymore, it would be reality.

7. fsae0607

fsae0607

My dream car has always been a '59 Impala convertable. Seeing how much they go for now it will always be a dream. Unless they start re-popping the bodies.

8. My dream car would be a bone stock 1953 or 1954 Buick Skylark.

[​IMG]

9. When I reached my late 50s, I saw some of my friends die off without ever owning their dream cars..it shook me.
    I decided I was going to persue my dream car...a chopped, fenderless 33 ford coupe. Not having much money was a problem but I overcame it by buying the biggest piece-a-shit old roundy-round 34 ford 5 window racer there was.
    I've been working at building it into a 33 [33 front sheetmetal and altered window openings in the doors] body. Traded an old 53 stude champ coupe for a decent 34 rolling chassis and I'll be driving this bastage soon..I hope

Attached Files:

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

'62 Pontiac Catalina 2dr. hardtop with 8 lugs, a 421/4spd, or a 67 2+2 convert. Maybe I've never had either one because if I got it, I'd be disappointed with it in some way, then the dream would be ruined.

That's my excuse for having had many other old Pontiacs, but never either one of those...

Brian

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I cherished every one I've owned.. I don't keep them long because there's so many more I want to own and their all really special...

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

I have 2 dream cars. 55 chevy 210 and a 41 willys. I have had 7 55 210s and sold everyone of them but one was exactly the way I wanted one to be.but I also sold it back in the late 80s when they didn't command a steep price.ive never owned a steel 41 willys.i have some money but not what a rusty junk willys brings.even if I did I still cant bring myself to pay that much for something that's worse than anything ive ever seen in gullies that have been there for 60-70 yrs.so I bought a glass body.backhalfed a s10 frame got it rollin, if ya push it and parked it in the paint booth were it sits until we need the booth.been there for almost 3 yrs now.just cant get the feelin right to work on it.now we have another 55 210 out in the yard waitin for its turn to become car again.if I ever get the feelin for the willys and we get the 55 up. then ill have all my dream cars.well one is glass but ill settle for that.

13. I feel very fortunate to own four of the five that make up the top of my list. (two are ot) Even if I never find my Willys, I'm very satisfied, and have more than I ever thought I would.

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'm too young for this thread, but the responses are very interesting so far. I'll be watching...

15. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

My dream car is a 1961 Corvette, unlikely that I will ever own one :(

16. fsae0607

fsae0607

It's sad. I could always sell my left testicle and hit up the Barrett-Jackson auction...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  17. LOL, not true. I've owned my dream car for 39 years (56 MG) got it apart to restore, then life got in the way. It has been sitting for about 37 years and I probably will never get to it anymore. I've done many projects, always setting this one on the back burner, because something else was more important at that particular time in my life. I've got another major "dream" project about half done, and I am realizing I may not get it done. (due to failing health) My wife bought the MG for me as a wedding present and if things don't end well, she will be selling it sometime. I never will!

18. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I got my roadster when I was thirty, and am now sixty-one. When I was showing it off to our neighbor, my mom remarked to her that I had been dreaming about one like this for a long time, and finally got it; how many people get to make their dreams come true? I thought my mom's observation was insightful at the time, but in the intervening thirty years the reality of driving this roadster has been even better than I dreamed.

19. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I guess mine was the Pete and jakes 33/34 chopped and channeled orange coupe. I pretty much copied it except for the grill shell. Got stupid one day and traded it for a Camero. Still kicking my butt for that move.

20. pumpman

pumpman

I guess I really lucked out. This car I had always dreamed about since I was 15.
    Built a bunch of AMT models, had photos on my bedroom wall and just stared at them. Then, when I was 35 with the wife's blessing I got it and still have it and still love it. So now it's on to all the other important cars I like.

Attached Files:

21. I had just turned 7 when I saw the Hot Rod magazine with Lloyd Bakan's coupe on the cover. It took me almost 50 years to realize my dream of owning a similar coupe - but that was one dream satisfied recently with the end of my Deuce build. The other dream car in my life happened when I spotted a brand-new '63 Sting Ray while riding my bike in the neighbourhood. When I settled into a career I went looking for a Vette coupe and have owned that one for over 35 years now. As far as my dream cars are concerned, I've been living the dream for a loooong time - and loving every minute of it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  22. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Kind of fell into my 51 Ford, it's the same age as me, but now in a lot better shape. Is it my dream car? Nope. Have a few on my list, probably won't happen. . .but it's fun to daydream.

23. hoodprop

hoodprop

I may be a young one but i have been called a old soul. Hang out with a bunch of OG's. But from the time I was a little one I have always loved the 1957 Corvette. Had a chance to get a 63 stingray a few years back but passed. I want a bone stock 57 red with the white side. Maybe one day.

24. At around twelve or so I used to ride a few miles to the bike shop, and on the way I passed a local Shell station where a mechanic or pump jockey drove a 1935 Ford three window coupe to work. On several occasions I’d see it sitting there or driving around town on fair weather days. That car left a life long lasting impression on me, sparking a desire to one day possess one of my own. I’m 51 now and I’ve had mine 4 years.

My build thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647348

25. HawgHead

HawgHead

My next door neighbor had an E/Gas 55 Chevy with a tube front axle, transverse leaf and hairpin wishbones. I've always wanted a street version of one.

Scott

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Red & White '56 Nomad. Saw one on a used car lot in Tulsa on New Year's Day, 1972. Nineteen years later, I was finally able to get one. I've driven it over 300,000 miles and I have a smile on my face very time I get behind the wheel.

27. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

I'll always remember sitting on my mom's lap on the highway steering the '59 t-bird.
    White with red/white interior and a Lincoln 430.

We wrecked it in Halifax N.S. and made the front page of the paper when I was 3. T-Boned in the driver's door sent sideways through a phone pole and a fire hydrant and then into a stone wall.
    I got a twisted arm and my mom cut her leg on the headlight switch. That was it for injuries. The water from the hydrant diluted all the gas pouring out of it.

I'm rambling - but every time I see a white squarebird I check it for red/white seats.

No - I wasn't steering that night.