Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do your licensed children like old cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Muttley

Muttley

My daughter (she will be 17 in August) loves old cars and wants a '65 Mustang Fastback.

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My family is a little disjointed, there is 20 years between me and my youngest sister. I don't have any children (Can hear the relief to that one!) but the rest of the family makes up for it.
    My Father, me and my youngest sister are indeed hot rod obsessed.
    My first car was a 38 Ford Coupe, my sisters first car is a custom XL Falcon though she is "chomping at the bit" to build a Hot Rod!
    My cousin, who is a little younger has started his own Wheel/Tyre business and is into old cars too (Though he likes the big wheel/low profile tyre look).
    My brother-in-law, to my older sister (He was and still is a good mate of mine since before he met my sister!) is into custom 40s-50s cars, with a 54 Packard.
    So far the family is seemingly headed in the right direction.

Doc.

(My my, there is a lot of my's in that, huh!!)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. I hope so! My oldest is 2 and my youngest is 3 weeks. However, I am one of six grandchildren on the "car side" of the family. Out of the six, I am the only one that remotely cares about this stuff.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 24yr old son loves cars as does my 22yr old daughter although neither have an old car in their life. Both are educated and in good jobs and lack the skills to build a car so I've offered to help them in their quest if they so choose. Both are getting into the housing market and buying their own places so finances are channeled in other directions at present.

5. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

My sons are 23 and 26 years old. Neither has a real interest in cars. I have always preached to them about limiting their debts and as a result they both are still driving cars they drove in high school and college ( a Saturn and a Malibu) .

6. My boy has loved em since he was old enough to say so. He just turned 16 last week. We looked for a good beginning set of wheels to get him up and rolling and scored this through a friend. While not Hamb friendly it's curtainly cool and he won't have any problems bring his first project home. It's an original 90 454SS. Late model big block removed and an earlier mildly beefed 454/turbo 400 installed. Backed by the 14 bolt 410, she does good. This is a few Saturdays ago, just a little fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4agY6vlp_c

7. Apittslife

Apittslife

I have Daughters, They Love Old cars, Exspecially Race cars. There sugnificant others do not. Probably one reason why I do not like either of them!
    My Oldest Grandchild seems to like My toys, Hopefully I will be able to have one or more Grands that would love to have one of them when I leave this world?

8. Well lets see, one son yes more so as he gets older (now 28), one son no. all 3 girls to different degrees, one of the biggest turn around was my oldest daughter while in high school one day her car needed repairs and she was given a choice; either drive dads truck or take the bus. With pain in her eyes she took the truck ('46 Chevy, SBC etc. etc..looks strait off the farm). That evening she comes home with a whole different attitude, Dad please please please can I drive the truck again all the boys think this thing is as cool as hell. From that point on she can't get enough of my old toys. By the way...the answer on driving the Cobra is still no.
    Fasttoys

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that made me laugh!!:D:p

Doc.

10. This is what my licensed son thinks of my/our hot rod;) Maybe all the nasty comments are paybacks:eek:

Attached Files:

11. RamJet1

RamJet1

My son is only ten, and his auto enthusiasm goes in waves. He's mostly there I guess.
    He likes the cruises, swap meets, and car shows, and he is looking forward to the truck getting done and the '65 Vette being drivable again. But there are many days he would rather just play video games. That may just be part of being 10. We'll see in a few years if I've imbedded the car bug deep enough, or if it all just goes by the wayside.

12. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

My kids never cared about my dirt-track racing or my old cars...but they will pile on the back of the a-model when it comes time to ride in the Christmas parade.
    My oldest grand-daughter likes to ride in my "old blue car" as she calls it, the 55 Chevrolet....even though the wife and daughter try to make me feel like a common criminal because it doesnt have seatbelts or a car seat.
    The youngest stands up in the seat of the old jalopy truck, grabs the steering wheel and makes cars noises...and they both like to take it out for an ice cream trip.
    Cars seem to mean a whole lot more to us older kids.:)

13. Nice old Chevy and we know it will jump off a Deuce with a dead battery! HRP

14. Both my girls love and drive my roadster...The smile on their faces makes it all worthwhile..

Attached Files:

15. My older son is 22, and has an o/t '76 Skylark coupe that is his pride and joy, as well as his daily driver. His first truck was a '46 Chevy 1/2-ton at age 13, so he's had a couple of HAMB-friendly rides. He does want to find an early '60s ride to build a hot rod from. I'd like to find an old Valiant for him. Lots of great hop-up parts for a 225 out there. I think he is more of the mind for a late '50s Chevy pickup, though.

16. Pops is a big time car guy and he passed that love to all 3 of his kids. My brothers and I have the same sickness, but we are all into different aspects of it. My dad is a drag racer first, muscle car guy second, then he gets into customs and hot rods. Rides a Harley, builds all his own stuff. My youngest brother prefers newer cars, mustangs and shit, but also into drag racing. My other brother has a dragster and is into muscle cars. He can also appreciate a well done hot rod or custom but probably will never own or build one. Also rides a Harley. I got all of it. Minitrucker, lowrider, drag racer, I always have some old project going (62 Bel air right now). I really dig old customs, haven't gotten to hot rods yet. Have a dragster, ride a sport bike.

With my first kid coming in Sept, I can only hope they share my families love for old cars.

17. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

I'm 16 years old.My grandfather lives two houses away from me and I've been going to car shows with him and my uncle for as long as i can remember. My grandpa had a 1956 Ford custom at the time with 55 pontiac trim, 55 merc wagon taillights, a 54 chevy grille with extra teeth, 57 caddy hubcaps, wide whites, it was painted a 56 dodge turquoise and a really nice bright white. That kind of sparked my love for customs. He also had (stil has) a 1947 Cehvy business coupe street rod that isn't to hamb friendly but still cool. I got taken to school and picked up in them every now and then and when I was about 6 or 7 he brought home a 31 model A coupe and that was the first car i help/watched him build from the ground up. My uncle also has a 1941 willys coupe that is pro streeted and that really got me into Willys. It's been my dream car since i was 7 or so years old. I now own a 1975 Camaro that my grandpa and I built together. I know its not hamb friendly but its still older and I enjoy driving it. Even though I own a muscle car, my heart is in the gassers and customs. So from a kids point of view, growing up around older cars, I'm still crazy about them.

18. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Nope, no interest.

19. SRMN8R

SRMN8R
    from Central VA
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

My son just recently got his learner's permit. We've already picked up a (forgive me Lord) 90 Toyota 4x4 pickup for him to work on and drive. He's addicted to the outdoors and mud, so it's a good fit for him.

He's taking an active role in the re-fresh/rebuild of my 55 Chevy pickup, and his PaPa's 51 Stude Pickup. He can't wait to start driving them. I got him 2 internships at garages this summer. He'll be good at sweeping floors, and maybe learn some fab and welding by summer's end.

- Jimmy

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 33 year old daughter still wants a steel bodied Willys coupe (I told her to marry someone rich) My 29 year old son helps me when he can and will probably build himself a rod someday when he has a work schedule that allows for a bit of free time but after welding all day at work he probably isn't game for welding on his own projects on his time off right now.

21. I guess our generation had less pulling us in different directions,,I worked a full time 54 Hour a week job and had a part time job to finance my hot rods,,didn't leave a lot of play time but I worked on the cars a lot at night. HRP

22. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

yes they do! 22 yr old son has a 63 t bird. my 18 yr old has a 70 buick. just last night my 18 yr old finished up his first rebuild on the 455.

23. My boys grew up going to rod runs and cruise nights in the back of the 40 and they like cars now. They both have late model "muscle cars" but they also talk of someday owning something older. This is a shot of my oldest son Jason from around 1987 pretending to drive the 40.

[​IMG]

He's been talking about dragging my OL 55 out of mothballs and doing something with it but so far it hasn't happened.

This picture is from last summer taking his turn at the wheel of the very same 40 going to Bowling Green for the Hot Rod reunion.

[​IMG]

24. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Thanks Danny. That ol Chevy has jumped off a bunch of them (mostly my old junk) but Harry and Mae's was the nicest so far. All the way around it was a good trade...a jump for a front row spot.:D

25. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I'm 24, grew up around my dads body shop and his hot rods. I always liked and helped with the cars but as a teenager I strayed away to party and chase girls. Now older I really wish I didn't do that, but my dad is happy I am just as into it as he is, I grabbed a 60 GMC pick up to make into a nice driver with him recently. My girlfriend who I live with now likes the idea of old cars, but doesn't like me spending time and money on them. It's a tough one to juggle, especially when in the evenings I am always on this app looking and reading instead of watching whatever cooking or house TV show with her..ha ha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

We didn't have a license for our son, and he doesn't have a hot rod, so I guess no.

Brian

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

HELL NO!! Its already on its way to "classic HAMB" status!!:p:p
    Mine isn't licensed yet, but she loves Model T's, hope it lasts.
    If it does, she'll be 3rd generation "car person".

28. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

My daughter liked old cars righ up until she totaled the Mustang.

29. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

[​IMG]

Well if this aint a sign, then I dont know what is..

30. wesmigletz

wesmigletz

My son also liked the older cars. He's 16 now and more into muscle cars, just picked up his first car a O/T 68 Camaro.

When he was younger
    [​IMG]