Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing A Crank shaft In The Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cattmann, Jun 18, 2013.

1. cattmann

cattmann
    from NB Canada

Has anyone ever removed a crack shaft while the engine is still in the car?318 La engine Too much end play.

2. birdman42

birdman42

I did it in a jacked up chevy blazer one time,It sucked. Pull the engine and do it the right way.

3. It"s way more trouble than it's worth. You will have to pull the trans to get the flywheel/flexplate off. Then there are the rods and pistons that will have to be monkeyed with. It's just a giant PITA. Pull the engine and save yourself a ton of grief

4. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I don't think you can. (std. trans sticks into the end bushing) Rods would have to be pushed up all the way into the bores and still may not give clearence, but a good chance of nicking the crank.

Just roll out the bearings and install new ones. (there is a special tool for this)

5. terryble

terryble
    from canada

If your concern is too much end play and all other things are OK you don't necessarily have to remove the crank, you could reflace each of the main bearings one at a time, one of them controls end play not sure which one in an LA motor. I have done this several times over the years and it is very doable if you can get the pan off relatively easily.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the thrust flanges on the crank aren't worn you could just change the bearings and be good but if the thrust flanges are worn the crank needs to come out an it would be a real pain in the butt to do it in the car.
    In 1964 I drove past a migrant farm worker family (when they came from Arkansas) sitting on the side of the road in a broken down straight 8 Buick that the guy dropped crank out of and installed another one on the side of the road. It took him about four days but he got it done and drove off up the road in it.

As others said you would have to pull the trans if it was a stick or pull it back far enough if you have an automatic to get the flexplate off. I'd think a guy would have to be pretty desperate to want to do it without pulling the engine.

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I noticed the same thing. You can get the crank to drop out enough without pulling the rods to change the bearings. You could even go through and change all the rod bearings one at a time if you like laying on your back for a long time.

8. fsae0607

fsae0607

If it was me I'd pull the engine and do the repairs on an engine stand. Save you lots of headaches and cussing.

9. big M

big M

It will take many more hours of labor [on your back, I might add] to do it in the car, so much easier when on an engine stand.

---John

10. I really can't see any savings in not removing the engine and doing it on a stand.

Removing the crank won't be as bad as getting it back in.

There's guys that can't get cranks in correctly when they have gravity on their side, on a stand , in a clean room. Let alone on their back, with oil dripping in their eyes and connecting rods dangling everywhere just waiting to ruin your day.

Now there's got to be a reason why you may be contemplating this.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I can't imagine trying to bench press a heavy crank, trying to not nick any bearings, then trying to get a couple of main caps on to hold it in place. :eek: Looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

Don

12. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Like 31 and Don said, it's not a good idea. But really, why would you want to? It's alot less trouble to just pull the motor...

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

reminds me of the time i dropped a flywheel while laying under it---pain and scars---pull the engine...

14. Pull the Engine . You'll thank us

15. cattmann

cattmann
    from NB Canada

The Jury is back .I guess I will have to pull the engine.I really don't know why I have so much end play.I refreshed this engine 2 years ago and I only put about 3000 miles on it.I was reving it up trying to listen to the rattle and noticed the crank moving about 1/8 of and inch in and out.Thanks for the input .I will probably pull the pan off as its easy to do on my 41 and inspect the thrust bearing or bearings as I forget .:rolleyes:

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I canged one in a O/T van once even beat flat rate. Think when I was younger I had more ambition.