Register now to get rid of these ads!

wahooo im the proud new owner of a 1950 ford shoe box (barn find)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorodz, Nov 3, 2012.

1. lorodz

lorodz

i just picked this car up today. and im so stoked ive been wanting one if these for ever. here is the story, i was looking for another roller or project for the next race of gentlemen next season. beeing that mel wants fresh cars there next year wich is totally cool. i began looking for cars last week well after we had the storm last week i had some time off of work so i was driving around local looking for cars or bodies that i had seen while doing deliveries at my job. i was unable to find any of the cars i had seen. when i got back home i started to look on CL, while i was looking i came across n add for a 1950 shoe box barn find from lancaster PA, i figured it was to far, but when i seen a link for a youtube video link i clicked it and the car was next to another car that had ny plates on it. i called the number the next day and the guy told me he was a couple blocks away from my house, so i jumped into my truck and ran rite over.
    i arrived at the guys house and started to look at the car like a lunatic.
    so the guy comes out of the garage and he begins to tell me how he got the car. story goes he went to hershey for the swap meet he sells 1956 ford truck parts for canter he is a dealer for them. while he was there someone passing by mentioned that there was an estate sale in lancaster PA. and that they were selling a 1956 dump body truck so he left a day early to hit up the sale and see if he could get the dump truck. while there he spotted a 1950 ford tudor custom sitting in a horse stable full of dust and asked the women in charge if it was also for sale she told him they could strike up a deal for both the truck and the shoe box. so a deal was made and the car was pulled from the barn covered in 3 inchs of dirt and dust. the tires barely hold air but they held long enough to get onto the trailer. so long story short i looked at the car and its pretty rough, it needs alot of sheet metal and a couple odds and ends but everything is there including the 8ba flathead and trans. the best part of the deal is that he put a brand new holley 94 carb and a fuel pump on the motor with a fresh 6 volt battery and wouldnt you know it the damn car starts and runs a little rough but it freakin runs. that was the buying point for me other wise i would have passed on it. im so happy ive got one of my own i cant wait to get really into this thing .here is a photo of it after we loaded it onto a trailer this car has not seen the road since 72 it still has the PA inspection sticker on the window with the miles you ready for it the car has only 15000 miles and some change thing is fresh but beat up from sitting for so long. looks like a couple racoons got into the car the interior is all there but really beat up. all the glass is mint everything is on the dash perfect but a small amount of surface rust on everything. the guy i just bought it from said there was no keys for the car so he popped the ignition out i go and start to clean the car out and find one key in the ash try wouldnt you know its the god damn key for the door locks, trunk, and ignition ....i also found a willy mays kind of tradeing card under the rear seat ...see its giving back aready..here is a picture more to come thanks for looking [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

lorodz, really great score, hope the price was right. Glad to hear that something positive has come out of the terrible storm back there. I'm on the west coast and will probably be falling into the ocean sometime in the near future the way nature has been lately. Good luck with your build and keep us posted with pics. Malcolm.

3. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Nice find looks like u have your work cut out for u.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I really really like the 50 Fords.
    What are you doing to our language? 'barn find'? Every car in the world is either inside a building or it's outside.

5. Dude - I love stories like this!
    I have one of my own.
    Live it up - this will be fun. Keep us posted :D:D:D

6. I still love shuboxes. I've had a few, including my first car. A good running flathead with an overdrive 3 speed will keep up with traffic ok and give decent mileage.
    I pissed all the "ford in a ford" guys off and plopped a hard running 350 chevy into my last one with a maverick 8 inch rear. Great cars! I truly hope you keep it mild because I totally LOVE the original 49-50 grilles.

Attached Files:

7. lorodz

lorodz

sorry man im not the best story teller or speller i type like i speak and i am sorry for that. but i can build a car and thats what we are all here for. lol

8. lorodz

lorodz

Every car in the world is either inside a building or it's outside.[/QUOTE]

sorry, but thats what i was told and im sticking to the story it was in a horse barn. and to me that is a barn find

9. lorodz

lorodz

malcolm1943<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8318545", true); </SCRIPT>
    FNG

its ok we will all float away sooner or later

10. lorodz

lorodz

* turkeyday update*
    decided im going to be useing the flattie in the coupester, and a spare small block in the 50 shoe box. my nephew(spanky) left and my brother inlaw (jay) on the right.
    [​IMG]
    now i need to power wash the engine bay and get it ready for the sbc

11. LukeC

LukeC

Thats awsome man, Chop it up!

12. lorodz

lorodz

*todays update 11-23
    today we grabbed a good high powerd power washer, we washed the shit out of the suspension and engine bay. it looks pretty clean, now i need to finish pulling all the 6 volt wiring out and paint the engine bay.

13. lorodz

lorodz

*5/01/2013 *
    Been a while for an update. Today I actually got the new doner motor and transmission for the shoe box ..I had came across a really beefed up early small block ford motor and a cool t-4 transmission with all the trimings .I also got my engine mounts and all my suspension parts to slam the car down. Not going air ride just going really laid out .
    I also ran acrossed a old buddy named freddie he owns a couple of 49 and 50 fords ..so I was at a local swap meet and he was selling some parts .as I was b.sin with him I looked down and there they were a pair of really nice fender skirts ..steel no less. Usually they go for more than a $100 on flea bay..so im like Freddie I know you know what these are worth and so do I, how much for skirts so he says are they for you .I was like yea, but im low on funds for this build. He says gimmie 30 bucks .I was like wtf. Slipped my hand in my pocket as fast as I could and snatched em rite up.....nice old guy. Went home and put them rite on the car they fit perfect ..anyway pics to come ..hope to have this car up and running shortly. Im still looking for a visor and luggage rack for the roof ...if anyone has these let me know thanks.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

14. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Looks nice I love them 50 51 shoeboxes have two Rog

15. sololobo

sololobo

Great story, cool ride. I have always wanted a shoe box ford, as I spent tons of seat time in my buddies rigs. No shame in my book going sbc in it, have some fun dude. ~sololobo~

16. Let's see some more pictures!

17. lorodz

lorodz

No updates or pics as of yet still parts gathering as of now ..will update soon.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

18. lorodz

lorodz

* todays update* 5-26-2013
    So a couple weeks ago there was a local swap meet, i wasnt looking for much to buy there that day, except for a small block ford manifold for a 4 barrel carburator. As i walk through the swap i come across a guy named freddy, hes a small old italian man who has a really nice 51 ford victoria. I walked over to his parts and didnt see anything i needed or so i thought. as i began to walk away after saying hello, i look down and see some 50 ford skirts in steel with the small chrome trim, so i know there really expensive, i ask him how much, he says 30 bucks, i was like you shure, he says take them and if you need anything else here is my number, call me and you can swing by to check out my parts i have. I said ok so this weekend i went over there and this guy had some pretty good parts i needed for the 50. I picked up a really nice set of black steel wheels 15 inch with really nice wide white Bias plys. Freddy says im never gonna use them , 350.00 bucks and there yours. of course i bought them. As we are walking through his back yard we come to a shed were he had all the stainless trim, so i winded up buyin a gas door trim plate that i have never seen before and some other side trim. ill tell you its getting harder to meet people like this. just wanted to share he had some awsome storys aswell on how years ago he took a 50 ford convertible and made a carson top out of a victoria roof...just an awsome guy heres a shot from tonight after mounting the wheels and skirts still gathering parts she will get a hair cut and a new heart soon.
    [​IMG]

19. lorodz

lorodz

* update * 6-10-2013
    so a while ago i orderd the motor mounts and all the lowering parts from butch's cool stuff.com. the guys there were awsome to deal with. so today i finally cracked open the box, and picked out the motor and transmission mounts.i started by cleaning the engine craddle and cleaning the frame up a bit just to see how the motor was going to lay.it winded up looking good so i welded the mounts in and centerd the motor left to right.after that i leveled the motor and trans up and down to make sure everything was going to fit, i mounted the headers intake manifold and transmission than jacked up the transmission to make it level.and welded on the butch's cool stuff transmission mount.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. lorodz

lorodz

[​IMG]
    this is a ford t-5 not chevy.
    [​IMG]
    so once that was all said and welded, and bolted together i started on the pedal set up, its nothing special just needed to be mocked up to the fire wall, marked and drilled out.the center hole where the brake push rod comes through needed to be drilled out with a hole saw 2 1/4 inchs, than i could bolt up the boosted mastercylinder.

21. lorodz

lorodz

once i bolted the pedal assmbly up i realized it had to much flex at the firewall so i made a cross style bracket outta some thick scrap and bolted it to the dash. its really thick steel, now there is zero flex.once painted black youll never see again, but will serve its purpose.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3 pedals thats a hot rod
    [​IMG]

22. lorodz

lorodz

here you can see the firewall, i mounted the booster master cylinder, throttle cable, and clutch cable all through the firewall
    [​IMG]

23. lorodz

lorodz

so now i moved onto the radiator,it was nothing crazy i cut a small amount of material from the old radiator support. slid my new radiator down and made a simple peice of aluminum strap and 4 , 1/4 inch bolts and lock washers the raidiator fits perfect its all plumed and ready to cool this motor, not to mention the big 20 inch electric fan that will pull mad air through.it looks like the radiator isnt attached but it is, there is a thin strip of aluminum running across the back sideor it, painted black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    for now this is all i got hope the next update is the car running
    i need to order my 65 mustang gas tank and sender and my distributor before i can fire it up. thanks

24. looks great........good score

25. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

nice score welcome to the shoebox club

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

lookin good man, you want another one to match? haha!

27. raidmagic

raidmagic

Make sure you have the fan wired to push not pull.

28. 4fingeredwill

4fingeredwill

Where did you get that purdy radiator and how much was it, if you don't mind telling me?

29. lorodz

lorodz

..no to many cars now I meed to sell something. .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. lorodz

lorodz

It is wired to pull through the rad towards the engine but I may put it inside to pull. Now that I have made clearance for it. So its not seen through the grille.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!