Register now to get rid of these ads!

$5 Anvil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I went to a yard sale today put on by an old timer who was doing a final yard sale before he closed on his home he was selling. I didn't see anything worth while but decided to see if he had any vises. He said he had a vise on his bench and if I liked it I could have it for $5. He said to walk into the back yard where I would find his garage.

I really didnt have high hopes for the vise but it turned out to be a 50s 4 inch craftsman, the end of one of the jaws had cracked off and it needs a retaining clip on the screw so when you back it off the jaw follows it but it was well worth the $5.

Anyways I nearly tripped over an anvil with no horn when I backed away from the work bench with the vise in hand. I've been looking for a anvil and did want one with a horn but decided to ask if he was willing to sell it. I asked and he said yes he would sell it, told me he had no need for it, needed it gone and if I could pick it up and haul it away I could have it for $5, he also included a really nice body dolly with the $5 anvil and two vise grips for a $1 each...... Yup, you could be stupid and realize it was the deal of the century.

Now I know little about anvils, The corner has been damaged and I looked to see if the horn had been knocked off. Nope it never had a horn, I dont have a head on picture but trust me it never had one, which I find strange. I see no maker marks and the guy said it was really really old.

I'm completely guessing and I do know my own strength, I'm pegging this anvil at 125+ lbs

Any info on the anvil would be helpful, have you seen old anvils without horns before?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. F&J

F&J

That might be colonial era; very strange legs and the look of it makes me think that it's that era.

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Even if it was broken, you can't miss for $5. I believe there's a discussion over on the Garage Journal about anvils, some guys there seem to really know those things.

4. even without a horn that was a good deal.....but i have never seen one without one. must be some special application?

5. That is strange, with no horn, as it has a tail with a hardy hole. That corner could be built up and restored.

My guess would be maybe a colonial era nail maker's anvil, which would use a flat table for drawing out and a hardy for cutting to length. Most other blacksmithing operations warrant a horn.
    Apprentices were used to make nails, leaving the smithy to focus on more advanced tasks. Several apprentices could make thousands a day, each with his own little anvil and fire.

Regardless, great score!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  6. Vanner68

Vanner68

Hell, worth more than $5 in scrap weight!

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Looks like a cog for early road grader track.

8. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

ya maybe its a colonial anvil, i did a google image search, that time period does have anvils that look like mine without hones

9. coppertone

coppertone

Now if you can just find a $5.00 6-71 supercharger.

10. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

found a picture of an anvil like mine on google image

Attached Files:

11. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

right! i can dream

12. briz

briz

I forged a couple of knives with a guy that had a bunch of old blacksmithing equipment. One of his anvils had the horn cut off, and when I asked about it he said he got it in the southeast. He said that in the south after the civil war the army would have the horns cut off of any blacksmiths' anvils. I don't know if this is true or not, but it sounds legit to me.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Your living right, and that purchase just confirms it.

Frank

14. How much will it cost to fix the hernia from lifting that?

15. It looks to me like a cross cut saw filers anvil . The peg and raker saws lumberjacks used years ago had to be straightened and they used a special hammer with it to hammer the blades straight . Some of the falling crosscuts out here on the west coast could be 14 feet long it is quite a job to get right .

16. fsae0607

fsae0607

Still a good score for $5!

17. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i remember thinking "what if" before I picked it up and walked back to the front of the property to the really long driveway started, he was in farm country and he had his front driveway blocked with the yard sale, so no easy pull up with the car and throw it in back. I also had to cross a road with a 50mph speed limit.....than i thought $5 anvil, worrying about consequence solved! being 32 helps also.

18. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That old guy was probably 32 when he bought it. That was the last time it moved, next time will be your estate sale! /haha. Good stuff!

19. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

ha...you could definitely be right, i will make sure if that is the case its sold to a eager young car guy for $5....that would be cool

20. 68vette

68vette

If you would like someone to break that anvil, my mechanic tells me..." even an anvil is not safe around that guy".

21. My only question is ...How the Hell do you manage to break an anvil???
    Oh wait a minute..I have a grandson that probably could...
    Never mind..

22. grf-x

grf-x

Not only do you have a broken anvil...
    you have a broken anvil that can still be used and and anvil (partially)
    You also have a good base to place a beater (shot) bag for hammering sheet metal by hand.

Kolor me jealous.

23. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

around here (W.Pa.), anvils generally sell for $2 a lb. does it have any markings?

24. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i did a quick look and I did not see any....I will do a closer inspection later today and have more photos for you guys

25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got a good deal and made a Old Gentleman's day . He knew you would use his tools that he had no use for any more. Plus you will think of him in a good way every time you pound on the anvil.

26. the violator

the violator

27. The last anvil I bought I paid 20 bucks but it's not as old as the one in the photo,everyone needs on in their shop. HRP

28. Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  29. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

wow thats a great website for anvil info!!!! thanks

30. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

well i through the anvil on the scale and I was dead on with my weight estimate of 125lbs, i did a closer look for maker marks and did not find any, I will post some more pictures in a few