Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dont ever test run a motor with hooking up the oil line LOL.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Wanted to make sure the motor and trans still ran I am getting ready to back in my 1956 buick station wagon.I forgot I disconnected the oil pressure line .She fired right up But I was in shock for about 15 seconds when I knew every thing in the garage was getting covered in oil. Well she got good oil pressure.Had to wipe down the walls ,floors, and door.lol.I had to throw out all my clothes.Tomorrow I have to clean the ceiling.Sucks getting old!!!! Bruce.:cool:

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

frain bart

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I was priming mine with a drill motor the other day, and wondered why it took so long to come up to the lifter galley. Then I noticed the big lake of new Brad Penn oil spreading all over the floor! Lost 3 qts. before it got close enough for me to see it and stop. I left the oil sending unti out during priming.

4. Did that once. You will never do it again.

5. bigwilma1970

bigwilma1970
    from Marion Ar

Nice! I once primed up a 302 without the filter and it looked like I wet myself. Too much of a hurry I guess.

6. henry29

henry29

Ha!
    A friend of mine started a 6cyl Chevy truck once with a under hood starter button, and was setting the carb and adjusting the timming.

After several minutes off running and idling he remembered the oil line, he forgot he had pulled the instrument cluster out and the oil pressure line had absolutely soaked and covered nearly the whole interior.

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Sounds like a definite"Oh Shit"moment.Welcome to the crowd.BTDT.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

I know the feeling. When first starting a fresh SBC the radiator hose kept blowing off and spewing coolant all over finished my garage. I discovered thermostat was junk new out of the box.

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Which brings up a question: I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge that uses that plastic tube crap. I worry it'll break or melt. Is copper or steel tubing available to replace it?

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

These confessional threads would be a lot funnier with pictures.

11. waterhorse

waterhorse

Yes, your parts store should have 1/8" copper line kits or check Autometer online.

Greg

12. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Forgot to hook up the transmission cooler lines once and fired it up. Messy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. 55willys

55willys

I was working in a wrecking yard and the 2 counter guys were trying to get the oil out of the cylinders on an 80 something Sportster (no kick start) that had been wrecked and laid on its side for some time. So brainiac 1 hooks it to the battery charger and hits the starter button... oil shoots out and covers the wall and ceiling. So he tells brainiac 2 to get a couple shop rags and hold them over the plug holes. Starter button is pushed again dousing both of them and the wall again. We about died laughing.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

next time you do a car project set up a video camera. sounds like we missed a funny one.

15. Yes, use copper. The first time one of those plastic tubes lets loose under your dash, you will curse them for life.

16. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Being over careful when I start a new engine I am very worried about oil pressure and monitor it with a temporary gauge. Pays to be a worrier.

17. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Some would say the copper is more likely than steel to fatigue someday. With the relatively large motions between an engine and the body the line will get subjected to plenty of bending, wiggling and vibration for sure.

At least >some< Factory mechanical oil press gages use a rubber hose to connect engine to body, just as brake systems use rubber to bridge a wildy moving gap between axle and frame.

guidelines how to route rubber to provide 3D flexibility on pages A1-11 thru 13 here -

http://www.parker.com/literature/Bulletin C4400-A UK 2008-06-04.pdf

At the very least I'd make several curls to accomodate 3D motion while providing low stress. Like is done connecting the master cylinder, which move a LOT less than the engine.
    http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT2947.JPG

18. Random master cylinder pic?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Maybe its not AGE that's the problem!!;)

20. And here I thought that I was the only one to have done that. FUBAR!

21. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I usually just leave the drain plug out when changing the oil and let two three quarts of oil run out around my feet before remembering it. :eek:

22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's called flushing the pan if anyone finds out!:D

The gauge kits used to include a fitting to go in the block that had a very small hole so if a line leaked it wouldn't put out much volume.

23. Vanner68

Vanner68

Bah- you ain't lived till you've seen an incorrectly sized fitting blow apart on a 300 horsepower high pressure hydraulic pump.

24. 2racer

2racer

I had a copper line snap off at the back of the guage while driving down the road in a 57 Chevy, that oil was damn hot, I have used plastic ever since!

25. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I've never had a plastic oil pressure line fail. Sure can't say the same thing for copper lines, the last one even had the flex circles. Its been plastic lines for at least 20 years now. Gene

26. Many years ago i worked for a motor shop and ran up used motors to see if they are runners or builders, this 350 had a small punture in the oil filter and upon start up the oil traveled level and straight and got the boss,he deserved it.God times. JW

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Years ago I had one of the plastic oil pressure lines break under the hood and didn't realize it until I saw smoke coming from the engine compartment, then I noticed the gauge was on zero. :eek: Funny how much oil that little line can spew out. I never used a plastic one after that, either copper or an electric gauge.

Don

28. 48 Ford Fanatic it was the only thing I could think of with out seeming STUPID.LOL.Bruce.