Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. oldstriper

oldstriper
    Member Emeritus

That is Bill Jwayad's 340 chrysler powered Anglia. Bill went on to race numerous cars including another Anglia and a BBC powered Mercedes (both crashed) with Ron Henderson both of Vancouver (Bill is a Slo Pok).
    <object style="position:absolute;z-index:1000" type="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">

</object>

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I received a message from Lenny Frost, to let us know that his Dad "Jack's" headstone, along with his ashes and urn will placed near the starting line at Woodburn Dragstrip. The ceremony will be this Sunday at 11:00 am, during the Oldies but Goodies race.

Attached Files:

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Are you headed down to Woodburn this weekend Marty? We're going down today, but can't make Sunday's racing.

4. flattrap

flattrap

Here are a couple pics of the warlock at dads shop when I was a kid ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372653641.293152.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372653668.058994.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372653695.255069.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372653724.557781.jpg
    He did suspension an paint on it

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

More on Jerry Hill's racing. For the 69 season Gary Meyer bought a one year old RCE (Woody) AA/D, (Gas Car), from the Cope Bros from the Tacoma area. Pics 1 & 2 are of some of Jerry's family members with the car. In 1970 Jerry drove for Jack Merrill, out of Washington, another Gas Dragster dubbed "Merrill's Marauder", here are some action shots of that one. Notice in the background, Kenney Goodell's "Glass Side" ramp truck, and Robin Whitcomb's Pro Stock 69 Camaro.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  6. OUT1LAW

OUT1LAW
    from washington

Hello Marty
    I have been around Midgets all my Life ...I remember JP in that USAC Race in 1972, I can still here that Great Engine Roar of Ralph's Daimler .... Do you Have any more photo's of Ralph's Race Car?? or More Pictures of the early days of the 70's of WMRA , Our family got started out by buying a WMRA Midget in 1973...
    You may Remember this Car,The car # was 19 Owned and Driven By Ron Roberts.... You wouldn't happen to have any Photo's of that Car??
    Thank You

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's time again for the N.W. Old Timers Picnic, held this Sunday at Blue Lake Park. A great event to visit Northwest racers and look at photo displays, and there is usually some race cars and hotrods as well. Hours are 9:30am to 5:00pm, hope to see some of you there!

Attached Files:

8. 30ARoadster

30ARoadster
    from Salem, OR

How did the picnic go? I really wanted to be there, but I am still working out of town. I went last year and had a great time.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The picnic went great, one of the best turnouts of people and cars in recent years. I think the cool weather had a lot to do with it. I forgot to take my camera, or I would have some pics to post.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sorry I missed it! I thoroughly enjoyed it last year also!
    Saw you with Lonnie's '55 at Wed. night drags, but didn't catch up to say hello!

11. OUT1LAW

OUT1LAW
    from washington

Sorry I missed it also..... I wanted so bad to see some of the Old Midget Race Car racer's and Owners and to see if anyone had some old photo's of the Late 60's and early 70's of Full Midgets Race Cars.. Does anyone have some to Post....
    Thanks

12. Ralph Hunt

Ralph Hunt

Pictures of the Old Time Racers Picnic will be in the mail tomorrow 9/5/13.

13. Ralph Hunt

Ralph Hunt

I have six albums of midget pictures from 1945 to 1979. Come to next years picnic and see them for yourself and to discuss.

Ralph

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ralph,
    It's about time you joined us on here ! I want to thank you again for all of the great photos you have furnished for this thread over the last year or so. I will be looking in my mailbox, for the picnic pictures.

15. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Some news that might be of interest to Oregon Racers:

World of Speed Museum is going to be in Wilsonville.

http://business.wilsonvillechamber....d-plans-motorsports-exposition-in-wilsonville

"All News Releases

World of Speed Plans Motorsports Exposition in Wilsonville
    July 25, 2013

World of Speed, a nonprofit experiential motor sports exposition, has purchased an 80,000 square foot building in Wilsonville, Ore., as the permanent home for an auto racing and performance car tourism destination and an auto industry educational program.

World of Speed will occupy the former location of Town and Country Jeep Dodge in Wilsonville, located at 27490 SW 95<sup>th</sup> Avenue in Wilsonville. Tim Parker and Pat Schreck, Melvin Mark Brokerage Company, represented World of Speed in its purchase of the building.

&#8220;They have been looking for a home for nearly a year,&#8221; said Tim Parker, vice-president, Melvin Mark Brokerage Company. &#8220;Their vision is to showcase an amazing car collection in an accessible location that supports the tourist industry, and inspire young people to explore career opportunities in the auto industry.&#8221;

Wilsonville Mayor Tim Knapp, an avid show-car fan who also restores older vehicles, said, &#8220;World of Speed has the potential to be an exciting new asset not just to Wilsonville, but also for the entire Portland region and state. This attraction can be a real draw for visitors from across the country and even internationally that complements the City&#8217;s tourism strategy now under development. The Wilsonville community looks forward to hosting World of Speed.&#8221;

The exposition will accommodate more than 100 vehicles, a workshop area, and space to accommodate educational activities. World of Speed&#8217;s collection is comprised of race and performance cars from various venues including NASCAR, land speed racing, drag racing, open wheel, sports cars and motorcycles. The collection includes classic American muscle cars, historic racecars, and racecars with a Pacific Northwest connection.

&#8220;This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to showcase this sport,&#8221; said Tony Thacker, executive director, World of Speed. &#8220;Vocational educational has all but disappeared from our schools at a time when the auto industry needs designers, engineers and mechanics more than ever. Oregon is the perfect location to attract and inspire young people to explore the array of promising careers in a very dynamic and popular industry. We are proud to offer this opportunity and to greet our new visitors.&#8221;

The World of Speed is expected to open in the fall of 2014.
    "

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  16. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Attached Files:

17. OUT1LAW

OUT1LAW
    from washington

An article I had saved for Years..

Attached Files:

18. OUT1LAW

OUT1LAW
    from washington

Hello Ralph
    Wow that is so cool that you have all those Photo albums...
    Is there anyway you could scan from your Printer/Scanner some of those pictures from 1972-1973 Of some of the WMRA Race Car Drivers? Thank You......
    My E-Mail is [email protected]

19. OUT1LAW

OUT1LAW
    from washington

Hello Again Ralph
    If you could scan some of them, Here's some of the drivers I'm looking for ..
    Car # 60 or 160 J.P. Standley
    Car # 44 Denny Long
    Car # 19 Ron Roberts, this is the Car my family bought at the end of the season in 1973
    Car # 15 Fuzz Graham
    Car # 12 Palmer Crowell
    Car # 9 or 99 Ed Shefchik
    Car # 1 or 61 Kenny Peterson
    I know this is a Tall Order..... These are Some Great Drivers
    Thanks Again
    Steve
    [email protected]

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's days like today, that I appreciate the power of the HAMB, for years I have wondered what ever became of one of my favorite Gassers. It was a white, (with scallops) 34 Ford 5 window coupe, and it ran C/G with an injected 283 Chev. The car was called "goofin noff", the owner/driver was named Jim Hoxit, he belonged to the "Ramblers", one of the top clubs in the area. A couple of days ago I received an email from a fellow member (Chop-It) telling me he bought it a few years ago. He sent me these pics to post, #1 was taken at Woodburn in 1965, #2-4 show the condition at purchase. #5, is after the rebuild. Thanks Norm, for sharing the photos and saving that car, and thanks to my pal Lloyd Clemmons for his input.

Attached Files:

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's a good example of doing an old race car right! Sometimes they'll see way more use as a nice street car! Great looking car!

22. Ralph Hunt

Ralph Hunt

Sam, without looking I know I have photos of Peterson, Long, and Crowell and I will have to check on the others. I have a number of projects to work on since the picnic but I will funnel some of the photos you are looking for to Marty to post on his websight when I get a chance.
    RH

23. rick finch

rick finch

24. Lloyd C.

Lloyd C.

Marty: Thanks for the kinds words regarding Jim Hoxit's 34 Ford, "Goofin Noff". I was racing a G/Gasser (Flathead powered of course) at the time Jim was racing his C/Gasser. Every time I saw Goofin Noff heading for the starting line, I dashed over to watch. I couldn't believe how hard that 34 Ford launched, and that was before wrinkle wall slicks and traction compound. Hoxit must have been buzzing that 283 close to 10K. Anybody out there that knows more about this car, we would love to hear from you.

25. rick finch

rick finch

26. OUT1LAW

OUT1LAW
    from washington

27. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Just curious if anyone has come across any Facebook groups dealing with the history of any of the Pacific NW tracks. For instance, there are Facebook pages on Fremont Raceway, OCIR, Lions, etc... with lots of vintage photos. Anything like that for the NW tracks???

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

Marty, on the left hand edge....my grandfather's A-v8 is clearly visibly....#503-B. You also posted a shot quite a few pages back of his car and another side by side (taken minutes after this photo) of #502-B and 503-B.

is there any way I can get some nice copies for my collection?

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Clayton, those pics are from Wayne Millers collection, I am sure we can work it out, ( he is one of the nicest men you will ever meet) I will pm you next week.

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

Marty, I would greatly appreciate it! I am trying to get as many pictures and as much info on his car that I can. I am attempting to build an exact clone...even have his original intake and dash from the original car.

Look forward to your PM.