Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 galaxie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57countrysedan, Jun 14, 2013.

1. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Going out to look at a 62 galaxie with a 390. Anything i should look for as far as rot or anything with those engines? Thanks you guys in advance!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. outlaw256

outlaw256

on the rot issue. check the lip of the hood,wherte the words go. ive seen 7 62s with rot there mine included. front fenders in the usual spots and around the back glass.this is from all the galaxies ive looked at in the last couple of yrs. mine included.the 390s were tough engines.but you got to remember that it is a 390. how was it driven.norlmal,say like 40 or 50 yr old woman would driv it or like a hotrodder would driveit. mines got the 352.not the fastest one on the road.but it was always driven pretty easy. this is the one the little old lady from Pasadena drove!

3. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Sounds like the guy just cruised it for a few years. From the pics it looks all stock. Thanks ill look for the rot! Off the top of your head would u say 390 is a reliable motor? Always heard good but have no experience with them

4. luciomduran

luciomduran

I have a 1962 500XL with a 390. It has been sitting for close to 10 years. Changes the fluids, got a battery, made sure everything was lubed up and it fired first try. I have had no issues with that motor.

5. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Around the window, trunk area, rockers.....

It's got an FE! Way to go!

Cheers
    Hodge

6. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Haha was what i was thinking. Seems like a good car from what everyone says about them. Just wanted to ask because the guy wants to straight trade for my car

7. luciomduran

luciomduran

I have had that car for 20 odd years, it has always been good to me. The Cruiseomatic needs a rebuild, but other than that no problems. Here it is a few years and many pounds ago.

8. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Thats a sharp car! Looks like a blast! Anyone knw of a quick way to tell if it is a 390?

9. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

It will have a 352 stamped on the front, don't let that mislead you. You'll have to get the block number or take his word...unless someone knows another way.

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

DandG is right, since it is really easy with FE's to swap cranks, and the casting marks visible on the outside only relate to the molds that the blocks were cast in, not the final machined part. The only way to know for sure is to crack it open and measure bore and stroke. In the past 51 years, previous owners and caretakers could have done any number of modifications to the engine to change it's displacement, and it will appear "stock" on the outside.

Good Luck.

11. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Yea did a search and it seems like just measure the stroke. Figured id ask. From the pic it looks like an Fe motor at least. From what ive heard seems like all Fe motors are good.

12. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Great bro, not good. People have no idea the amount of torque these beasts are capable of.

Cheers, I hope it works out!

13. 327Eric

327Eric

Ya gotta figure if the engine made it this long, its gotta have something going for it.

14. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Thats the truth. Thanks for all the help now just gotta see if hes down for the trade.

15. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

quarter panels, rockers, body to frame mounts underneath - check the mounts real close

16. JEM

JEM

Yeah, pretty much all the same lower-body places any car of that age rots. Nothing unusual. Check the rain gutters, there's probably rust under the sealant.

Engine - what do you expect from a 51-year-old car? Generally a tough engine, exhaust leaks at the head are a PITA, soldered brass header tank can be a routine source of coolant leaks, PCE-code Cruise-O-Matic transmission a good box but expertise in servicing them is thin these days.

17. Reminds me of my Dad's car,,I took my drivers test in a black 62 Galaxie. HRP

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

One of my favorite cars to watch run at the drags was a black on black '62 Galaxie 406 with a 4 speed.