Register now to get rid of these ads!

A trade ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dhughins, Jun 12, 2013.

1. dhughins

dhughins

I've never owned anything older than a 59 apache truck. I MIGHT have the opportunity to trade my 69 c10 for a 40 ford custom deluxe sedan 4 door. Neither are exactly HAMB approved , but I'm curious on what can tell me about the 40 ford sedan. It has a small block chevy with auto tranny, disc brakes on front brakes and a camaro rear end. I think a vintage air system. My truck is a 305 th400 power disc brakes on front.

I posted same thing on truck forum most of them said keep truck. I'm looking for something the whole family can go to cruise ins in. If this car was a 2 door I would trade without a doubt. I have no idea what a 4 door 40 ford is worth. If y'all will give me a few pointers.

If I figure out how I will post some pics from my iphone. I have never figured out how you are supposed to load pictures on forums

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1956880&stc=1&d=1371076890

2. dhughins

dhughins

3. dhughins

dhughins

4. 327Eric

327Eric

Seems about equal, not having seen the car. Dollarwise, the 69 C-10 don't bring big dollars unless they are perfect. The 40 is strong, and can bring big money, depending on how they are done. I would evaluate the quality of the build, and determine the trade on that factor. My dad had a 66 C-10 when i was growing up, and my sister and I rode in the middle, with seatbelts, all over the western U.S. and Canada, up until our teens, so it can be done.

5. dhughins

dhughins

I'm thinking if the body is straight enough I can paint flat black with some red pin striping and cruise it.

6. flatford39

flatford39

I would keep the truck in this case.

7. 327Eric

327Eric

I started the post before you got the pics of the 40 up. Personally, I wouldn't. Better to sell the truck and go to a swap meet with cash.

8. raidmagic

raidmagic

That's a nice truck. I don't think I'd trade straight across.

9. b-bob

b-bob

Your truck looks to be far more finished than the fourty. I would keep what you have, you know your truck. Fourty looks like it will need some pricy repro pieces, paint and maybe more. it would be different if the fourty had the same quality as yours.

10. dhughins

dhughins

I agree with that, but if it was at the same level as my truck how much would it cost? I mean it's a 40 and my truck is a 69.

I know y'all are really limited on just the 2 pics and little info I have y'all but do you think the 40 ford is worth $6500.

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Do you need to haul lumber or kids? I wouldn't let the extra doors bother me. In fact, I would probably find them useful when I tried to haul that Large appliance or junk artifact I found.

Both vehicles are totally cool if you use them for a useful purpose.

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Me too. If it was a two door, I'd say go for it. You'll wish you waited for a two door later imo and I think the truck is worth more than a four door even if it is a 40.

13. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

It is a who;e lot easier to spend another man's cash, but my .02 would be to hold out for a better trade unless a 40 mordor is exactly what you want. You have a really nice truck and they are not getting any cheaper. there will always be a market for those pickups. It is your call however...

14. id jump all over the 40 the 67-72 c10's (no offense) are the Camaro's of the classic truck world and are a dime a dozen

15. dhughins

dhughins

I haul lumber in my daily driver 2000 silverado. The 69 or 40 is my for fun vehicle. I doubt I will ever own anything nice enough for car shows, cause I like to try and drive em as my daily driver. But right now the heat index has been sround 100 this week and my 69 doesn't have a/c , but my 2000 does.

I agree with most of y'all. But I have been searching pictures online of the 4 doors and have seen some cool looking. I just think a 2 door will never be in my price range. I know everyone will say just keep saving till I can afford my dream car, but there is a lot to be said for instant gratification.

I don't know what I'll do yet haven't seen the car in person so will just have to wait and see if he calls me back.

Thanks for the advice.

16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Yep. This is the HAMB, dammit. Go for the crew cab.

17. dhughins

dhughins

I agree 2 doors are way cooler.

18. dhughins

dhughins

Can y'all give me an estimated value of a 40 ford 4 door sedan vintage air disc front brakes camaro rear end sbc motor and auto tranny. Interior is fair condition.

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

get the 40 ford & dont look back !!!!!!!!!!

20. dhughins

dhughins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of 4 doors for inspiration

21. raidmagic

raidmagic

I'd like to be clear on my post. I have no problem with it being a 4 door and that isn't why I wouldn't do it. Your truck just looks to be alot nicer than the 40. Now you said you don't own anything nice enough for a car show. Does your truck photograph well? It looks like a really nice truck. If your truck is just a so so truck then I would do the trade.

22. dhughins

dhughins

I think my truck photographs really well to be honest. It looks best at 20 ft and 20 mph. Under the hood is a non impressive 305 and not as clean under there as the rest of the truck. But it does look better in pictures than up close.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  23. What suspension is the 40 on? Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the track width is too wide. If the 40 has been cobbled onto some other frame, it really hurts it's value. If it's solid underneath and any mods were done well, then it would be a good trade if it's what you want.

24. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Ok, I am going to have to be like Raidmagic and clarify. I said I would keep the truck myself, . I did a HAMB classifieds search for a year of listings. The four doors are not plentiful for a price comparison. Also I did a current Craigslist search in the midwest and what is out there is high. If you like the car, it may be a good swap after all. Good luck.

25. Fenders

Fenders

Looks sorta like a 40 on an S-10 frame, if so run away!
    Your truck photos nice, the 40, not so nice.
    Maybe you should have someone familiar with 40 era Fords look at the fordor.

26. We need more information on the 40 and better photos.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 4 door 40 Ford sedan,,but does it have the original frame or a S-10? HRP

27. dhughins

dhughins

I'll see what else I can find out. Thanks y'all.

28. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

Sleep on it. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

29. shadams

shadams

Ehh, tough call. I love trucks...typically hate 4 doors, but that is an exception. But like others said, too many unknowns. Stock frame is a must, I cant imagine sticking that car on an s-10 frame, bleeckk. Nice truck either way...

30. Squablow

Squablow

I can convert a four door sedan into a two door sedan if I have a pair of two door sedan doors, door pillars, and about 100 hours to do it, I've done 3 already. Apparently that's what you want, so that part wouldn't stop me.

What I would be worried about is if the frame/drivetrain mods to the '40 were done well. If it's nicely done and just needs paint and details, I'd be all over that trade. If it's cobbled, then I'd pass. You're right on the border with this one, we need more info.

I had a real nice '69 C-10 and I like those trucks too but I don't see them sell for all that much unless (like was mentioned) they're perfect.