Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leon Sandcastle, Jun 12, 2013.

1. When did otherwise non-high performance stock motors become so expensive? I have seen many Buick straight eights, flat head six/eight fords, mopars, pontiacs, Packards, etc, and ford 144's,170's,200's,250's, and even 300's going for anywhere between $500 to $2000! This price range is greatly overinflated.... I can understand people wanting to make some cash to put into their rides, but lets be realistic.... Rather than say Buick straight eight $2000, make it Buick straight eight $500 with trans and be happy... Unless the Buick has rare performance parts installed.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Know where you are coming from. The odd ball engines are getting more and more rare to find and really hard to find one in very good shape. Just bought a 59 Olds 371 and trans for $300 and find out the engine is seized. Hopefully I can get it apart and rebuilt. The good thing, the trans looks to be in good shape, and if I can free up engine I can sell transmission and recoup some of my money.

3. Simply, supply and demand.

4. models916

models916

You must have seen my ad. I was offering that to take it away.

5. The price of anything used and rare is set by what the market will bear. If no one wants to buy a $2,000 Buck straight 8, the seller will either keep it or lower the price.

I mean in the same vein, how did 32 Ford 3 window bodies jump to $30,000 or more when not that many years ago they were $10,000? Simple, there are only so many and some folks are willing to spend that much, and then some.

6. How dare anyone ask more than scrap weight for what they have and you want :rolleyes:

7. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Let em ask whatever they want for it all day long, but come end of the day, I'm betting they'll still own it.

8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Just cause I can't help it .. motors are electric -engines run on gas !

dave

9. Profit is not a dirty word .

10. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

^^^^^^^^^^This is absolutely not true. I have heard this so many times it makes my head hurt.
    A motor is simply a "Prime Mover" or something that imparts motion. The definition of a motor is varied, and the third definition in the dictionary is "an internal combustion engine."
    Engines ARE motors, but motors are not always engines.:D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  11. I saw several motors on Craigslist, various other sites and here... Not saying a guy can't make a dime or two on parts not being used but $500 for a ford 144 just pulled from the car is a little steep. People can say its this or that, but why can't we all just be reasonable.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"reasonable" would be reading an ad for something that they are asking more than you want to pay and moving on.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Like an enginecycle?:rolleyes:

14. Reasonable is on which side of the sale you stand.

15. And the definition is engines run on thermal energy ;)

16. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Everything except our wages keeps going up....It sux LoL

17. Sad but so true. And as far as reading and passing and moving on is fine, I just wrote what many probably think. Sorry that some of you feel offended by a rant, but hey what can be said other than following what was said earlier: read what is being said/sold and pass some gas and move on... Lol