Register now to get rid of these ads!

My "new" 1958 Ford Country Sedan - Project!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRMB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

My "new" car showed up today. it's got a long list of things it's going to need before it's driveable. It hasnt run in atleast 5 years. Maybe 10. but I already made progress on it!

I got the ignition switch and battery in. The car turns over!

The gas cap is locking, and I had no keys. So I had to "modify" it.

I couldnt find any gas in the tank.

Tomorrow I'm going to fill it will gas and get some starter fluid and see what happens.

here's a couple preliminary pics. I have some videos and more pics I will post up later.

Wish me luck!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. You should really not FILL the gas tank. It will have crud in it and you will suck it thru the system and plug up the carb etc. The carb my be plugged up anyway. Gaskets my be dried out and may leak with new gas. Rubber hoses may be rotten, etc.
    Best to unhook the fuel line from the carb and rig up a gravity feed tempoary to the carb. with a small can of gas like a quart size. See if you get gas into the carb. Pull off the air cleaner and see if you can get the bowl filled and have gas coming out the jets when you open the trottle. How's the wiring? Don't jump the gun and be dissappointed. Take you time and do it right. IMHO

Good luck.

3. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Appreciate it! Any more advice on firing up and old car is welcome. I'm a noob and still learning. Reading everything I can - but still learning!

4. Convert54

Convert54
    from Oklahoma

Be sure to prime the oil system".......

5. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

6. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Well, I rigged up a gas feed system as suggested. It cranked and it cranked. But no fire.

I figured it wa impossible that it was missing a distributor under the cap- but I may as well check, anyway.

Low and behold. No disti!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371007182.613707.jpg

Well that there's your problem!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371007198.599145.jpg

7. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Not sure how. I will go check youtube.

8. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

This will be one cool ride! Have fun with it!

10. That's your rotor that's missing. Check out the 52-59 Ford Group too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

12. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

4 trips to the auto parts store today, already! :D

And I really dig the styling of this car. I could have bought a newer one - but I wouldnt be quite so excited about it.

13. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Also, clean your points.

14. Sweet wagon!

Someday...I keep telling myself...someday I'll find one worth buying

15. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Thanks Don! I've read your project blog on your car. Neat to see you on HAMB.

I bought all new cap, rotors, plugs and wires last night. Going to see if this thing will fire today.

I just need to get over that mentally, and know that I didnt buy a turd!

16. While the plugs are out give each cyl a few shots of Marvel Mystery Oil to wet the walls down and the rings. Spin the motor with plugs out until the Oil light goes out at least. Also before installing the New Filter pour it full of Oil to speed up the prime.
    Gas tanks on 57-58 wagons are a curse. The good news is there are new replacements to be had.
    From the Current owner of 3- 57's 1- 58 and 1- 59 Ford
    The Wizzard

17. That thing looks good even on the trailer.

18. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Thanks guys! This car does look great. On the outside. The inside needs work.

I will post a video later- iMovie is just processing now.

19. froghawk

froghawk

Nice solid car! Congrats! Had a couple '58s in my day.

Looks like yours is a stick shift with 332 or 352 4v, correct? Kind of a rare and cool combo!

20. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

352, 2 barrel. 3 on the tree.

21. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the early 80's I had purchased a 64 Plymouth hardtop for the drivetrain (it had a side window broken out) and was going through the same issues trying to get it to run. A friend that was much more skilled than I was as excited as I to get it running. He came out one night after work (while I was out of town) to take a stab at it. He had pulled a plug out and was going to check it for spark and since we knew the gas in the tank probably was no good, had attached a temp tank to the carburetor. He cranked it over, it started on seven cylinders, the fuel pump starting working and he found out quickly that the gas in the tank would still burn as it squirted onto the plug that was sparking on the intake manifold:) He killed the motor and grabbed the water hose that was within reach and put the fire out. Yeah it scared the crap out of him and we still laugh about it 30 years later, he was worried he was not only going to burn the car down but the shop that I had just built the year before, neither he nor I are as careless now:)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  22. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great project, best to you on this build!

23. When you change the ignition parts change them all.

24. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

I've installed new cap, rotor, plugs and wires and it looks like I got no spark.

I pulled one plug and watched it while turning the engine over and didn't see anything.

Is there any way to test the coil before buying a new one?

25. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Here's a little video I put together. It's a rough edit. I havent used Imovie before!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7ae1NP5_Do

26. take the cap off and turn the engine over is the rotor turning? bring number one to top dead center on the compression stroke where is the rotor pointing? timing chain could of jumped or broken

coils are fairly cheap especially a stock replacement

27. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

while you have the cap off looking to make sure that the rotor is turning you should also check to make sure that the points are opening and closing . i have seen points stick after sitting for extended periods of time. the points should spark when they are working right .

you can use a multi-meter to ohm out the coil . a test light can let you know if the coil is being pulsed

28. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

are you sure that you are getting power to the coil?