Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What's the scoop on tall shifters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Jun 11, 2013.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put the knob where it is comfortable for me. Some call it high. I couldn't care less, and they don't call be Big-4 for nothing.

2. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

You got the job done--

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah, tough call, tough to do sometimes even with modern stuff. Had a "transmission performance" selector on a modern 'F' body. Took a guy for a ride with me to the store (we'd just got the car).

"What's that for?", pointing at the switch.

"Here, I'll show you. Here's how it shifts without..." as I stomped it from a light.

"Now, when I hit the switch..." and I stomped it again and the shift points were higher and much harder.

"Eew, why would you want that?" like a fuckin little girl.

"Well, I guess YOU wouldn't want that. In the words of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, if I gotta explain you wouldn't understand."

"Who?", just as I was pulling in the driveway. I never answered him.

Back on topic, tall shifters have become a style point for some, where before it was a result of function or simply what was available. Bob, I never bashed my knuckles on a Deusy dash, and I've driven a total of 3. Now a late 60s Mopar 'B' body? Don't forget to close the ashtray!!:eek:

4. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Personally, I find that a tall shifter takes a much longer motion to achieve gear changes than a shorter stick does. I prefer a shorter stick however some of us were blessed with ones that are much longer than necessary. It's all part of hot rodding and making your rod your own. I like seeing everyone's idea of what is right for them.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I blame Roth when I was a kid all my knock offs of Roth cartoons had a out of scale shifter with flies buzzing around.

[​IMG]

I was not a beer drinker but when I found this, I had to use it to extend my original shifter.

6. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Shifters taller than the windshield seem to be a r#t R@d thing and are for the drama". They also look stupid IMHO.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

the word RR did not exist in 1961 when we were copying Roth's cartoons in math class.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Guys would channel their cars and wouldn't cut the shifter. I'm sure it became a style thing 5 seconds later. It was incredibly common in the day. It's not a rat rod thing. Get off the bandwagon. This may offend the billet/radial tire/mycaristooloud crowd, but here's my tall ass shifter halfway up the windows. I think it's awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    pecker head likes this.
  9. What Ed Roth did on t-shirts was cool, (cartoons) what It turned into on the road, (rat rods) not so cool!
    Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done!

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Its one of them knuckle dragger things. Certainly not performance inspired. Longer shifters take longer to shift.

11. I personally wouldn't want to say ,"I want a shorter stick". I buy the original shifter in a channeled car theory. If you had channeled your car 4 + inches, and were running a 39' swan neck shifter on your toploader, it would be a lot taller, you wouldn't section it 4 " would you?

12. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

Different strokes for different folks, but they remind me of the Ape Hanger handlebar culture. Those that want to say that it's more comfortable, are full of crap. As you get older, and you raise your arms, you'll realize how much pain it can cause on your rotator cuff. No different that these ape hanger pictures... SURE it's more comfortable, and I've got ocean-front property to sell you in Arizona!

Attached Files:

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think it's funny to see a tall shifter. Back in the 60's if a guy had a tall shifter he would cut it down and re-thread it to accept a knob again. The tall shifters just made a longer throw, and looked like a truck 4 speed. Now it seems everyone wants to go to outrageous extremely tall shifters for some cartoonish look.

14. "Well, In the words of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, if I gotta explain you wouldn't understand."

Exactly right! those who have to ask, will never understand. it's just like asking "why lower a car"

Back on topic, tall shifters have become a style point for some, where before it was a result of function or simply what was available. Bob, I never bashed my knuckles on a Deusy dash, and I've driven a total of 3. Now a late 60s Mopar 'B' body? Don't forget to close the ashtray!!:eek:[/QUOTE]

I had a truck 4 speed in my chopped 54 GMC I added 14 inches to the shifter. when I switched to a 3 speed overdrive, I built my shifter from angle iron and a pile of old parts. when together I had a hurst shifter with a tight 7 inch throw from 1st to 2nd. it wasn't the look I wanted for my truck with a 1955 331 cad. I cut the shifter off the 4 speed and welded and bent it to clear everything. and now have a cool 27 inches for the 1-2 shift and yes I can bang my knuckles on the windshield if I wanted:cool:

Attached Files:

15. chubbie

chubbie

I remember guys holding the shifter lower to shift, not on the knob. It was cool on a trad rod. It wasn't a muscle car thing. This is a trad rod site!!!!! The guys that are talking it down...."don't get it" So did you put fender skirts on your "65 GTO???:rolleyes:

16. I agree cars were different in the sixties, we lost the 50's cool and started thinking more detroit muscle car clones.
    stop light drag race in the fifties was 45-50 mph in a block. sixties it went to 70-90 mph
    it seems like every decade brings in a new group of builders. you don't have to understand (or like) what the 40's-50's-60's builders did. just pick the one you like and go for it.

17. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Yep, it does lengthen your throws and increase your shifting time, so it is counter-productive.
    If I had to take I guess I'd have to side with tall seats argument. They still put long-assed shift handles in trucks because of the height of the seats.

18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

To not like it and prefer shorter shifters is one thing, lots of hot rods in the day were cut down. But to label it as rat roddish and stupid is just ignorant bullshit.

I don't prefer cycle fenders, and wouldn't use them on any car of mine. But I think they're awesome and part of history. We are being diluted with more and more folks in the hobby with new knowledge and new opinions, they're often the most vocal too. I see a lot of opinions stating practicality. Hot Rods aren't practical! They're obnoxious, scary, fast, and sexy!

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I get a kick out of grabbing the shifter 1/2 way up and Sunday shifting. There will be no power shifting on my 39 Ford tranny. Ive never broken an early trans yet and don't plan on starting now. My racing days have long since passed.:D

20. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Excuse me for offending you but I did write "over the windshield". Yes I prefer radials on the highway to so then you can be easily offended.

21. Zaq

Zaq

^^^ This. ^^^

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Longer shifters take longer to shift. That is the point. The old 30s Cad/LaSalle, Packard, 39 Ford etc floor shifters would not stand too fast of a shift. By using the long shifter, you could shift hard and the shifter slowed down the action just enough that you made the shift but did not blow the trans.

When better transmissions were made, like the 4 speeds of the sixties, there was no need for such long shift levers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it lol.

23. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's cool. You're excused:D. As long as those radials aren't on an open wheeled car you're good.:p

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

What's the scoop on tall shifters?

It's for the Rocky Road.

[​IMG]

25. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

HAHA! :p

26. They are not for everybody,,I'm not crazy about them. HRP

27. Flathead Cad

Flathead Cad
    from Oregon

In 1957 I built my '51 plymouth with one. I put in a '53 Chrysler flathead 6 with a Spitfire head. For a transmission I used a '37 Desoto with overdrive. I welded a 1/4 " pipe union to it and built a long stick as shown to attach to it. For dates I had an 18" stick that was bent toward the driver's side. I used the top 1/2 of a leather punching bag as a boot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  28. 54sled

54sled

Radical lokar 32 inch in my 54 ford, wouldnt have it any other way,now in the t-bucket space is a issue,when your 6'5 320 lol,just dont think i can pull it off!

29. Mine is a tribute to my Godfather....Ed Roth. Grew up wearing all his T-shirts.
    Oh yeah......chicks dig it too,for some strange reason,haha!

Attached Files: