Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many early '60s Altereds or just bodies here? Let's see pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I just picked up a fiberglass '27 T roadster body that I'm going to use to make a recreation of my uncle's '61-'65 national record-holder Altered.

I got to thinking--how many early Altereds are on this site? Or, how many guys have early Altered bodies hanging from the rafters in the shop?

I know everyone always thinks about the Winged Express, Pure Hell, Nanook or the other AA/FA cars, but like all the other classes, there were the Pro cars in the top of the class, and "sportsman" racers in the lower levels.

Let's see pics of what you've got! ANY body style, open or closed car.

Here's the one I'm going to recreate: He ran a 427, I'll build a stroked 390, since 390 blocks are a bit easier to come by.
    This car looks perfect to me... full-competition, well proportioned, plenty fast enough, and should be able to be assembled for a very reasonable budget, and won't be hard on parts.
    Hell, my uncle said all they ever did was check the plugs for three years, because they felt like they had to do SOMETHING between runs! He said it was reliable, maintenance-free, and fast--it held the MPH record at 140mph, but it wouldn't ET, probably because he was running a 3spd manual box. An auto trans will probably be cheaper, just as reliable, and quicker.

I really can't see needing more than this car to go out and have a great time.
    Of course, it'll also need the cage updated, but I think that can be done without destroying the looks and proportions of the car.

-Brad

Attached Files:

2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Nobody?!

-Brad

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Great looking car , I myself would recreate it just as it was when he ran it, , Here's my Comp coupe, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

4. madmak95

madmak95

We built this thing for fun out of leftover parts.... by the rules its considered an altered.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

5. ...I know this is not exactly what you asked for but I think it's too cool not to post on here; I just picked up this photo at a swapmeet,...never saw this veiw of the Pure Hell car before...(corrected: Winged Express car)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  6. madmak95

madmak95

Also built this one...

Attached Files:

7. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Ford powered AA/FA. Should be going together in the next couple of months.

Attached Files:

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Really digging this one!
    What's it run?
    What's the wheel base?

9. Pluck

Pluck

Cool picture, but that is Wild Willie Borsh's Winged Express. Cool just the same!!

10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

where did you pic up the body????

11. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Brad
    If your going to do a 427 from a 390, get a DT3E. It's the only block that can go 4.130 out and not crack. It's also webbed more down in the main part of the block, same as CJ. You'll need that webbing since its not gonna be a cross bolt motor like the 406-427's.

With the 4.130 bore and a 3.98 CJ crank, you'll have a very durable lump.
    Those DT3E and 4E's have thicker cylinder walls as they are truck blocks.

That's how I built my 406 in the 58.
    I don't know how much you know about Fe's, I'm an idiot but I can offer up a couple pointers if ya need me to....

I also have a 3speed cruise a magic in the garage, shifts good and hard, you can have.
    If only for mock up. It's just sitting here...

Cheers
    Hodge

12. Hey Brad, Here is my Fiat circa 1967, injected 427 ran 9.90.

[​IMG]

13. madmak95

madmak95

Run? Haven't got good times yet ...been having motor problems. Got a hilborn injection on it and still tinkering.
    Base? Around 103.

Heres a build thread ....
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441627

14. madmak95

madmak95

A few pics on my phone.

Attached Files:

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I don't know nearly enough about FEs... I've got a 390 core in my shop I bought for a hundred bucks... These days, it's really just about cheaper to buy an Eagle stroker kit than rebuild a stock Anything.
    Good H-Beam or I-Beam rods are within a hundred bucks or two of reconditioning stockers, never mind grinding, polishing, shot-peening and ARP bolts.
    Forge pistons are always a must.
    And for heads, it's almost cheaper to buy Edelbrocks than recon originals... a little welding and grinding on the front, and some paint, and its sufficiently hidden, at least from a few feet away. Plus, if anything goes bad, you can repair aluminum heads.
    All that said, I might have a line on a 428 SCJ.

I don't want to build a terror... 10.5:1 Compression, roller cam, 7,000rpm limit... easy on parts, plenty fast, repairable, and reasonable on the wallet.

-Brad

16. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I bet that is a LOT of fun to run.

-Brad

17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'll be that thing is a terror with that short little wheel base.
    -Brad

18. ...Doh!,...you are so correct; I knew that too!

19. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

The body is from Army Armstrong. He builds nostalgia funny car bodies out of PA.

20. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Here's my coupe from 13-14 years ago, before it was crashed rebuilt and renamed. We've used up at least half of its 9 lives.

Attached Files:

21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

thanks brother

22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Last year at Woodburn vintage drags./.....
    This car was purchased from a fella who started it in early '60's.....'glass body, front axle, Horning head and a few other misc. parts are all from original car.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Brother Mikes Anglia Comp coupe. As found, before as found (orange color) and when it was raced. Now it's mounted on a Chassis Research style frame and Olds motor.

Pat

Attached Files:

24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

As it is now.

Attached Files:

25. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Back up guys!
    LOVE seeing these old Altereds.

Am I right in thinking that a simple, basic Altered would be a more affordable way to get into nostalgia racing than building an FED (slingshot)?

-Brad

26. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Yes..

Wayyyyy cheaper....once you get into single digit territory you need much more SFI gear. An SFI book is good to have when building though...cause once ya start building. ..ya need to keep in mind yer probably gonna wanna keep going faster. The GMC altered runs 11's...but chassis is certified to 7.50:D