Register now to get rid of these ads!

rattle can fade away paint job?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamin' ace, Jun 10, 2013.

1. hey guys, i am building a kustom 57 plymouth model car in the style of gene winfield, and figured i might as well start practicing my fade aways for future projects. i wanted to do something like this:[​IMG]

just one fade down the middle and the edges. how many colors do i need? i want to do gold, and this doesnt have to be perfect, this will be my FIRST EVER fade away job, but not my last! i love the look of the fade! so can our skilled painters on the hamb help me out?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Ok.. I'm hooked! :)
    How is it done????...

3. Ob1

Ob1

The fellow who taught me the trade said two guns, spraying simultaneously, alternating color to color.

Never had the chance to try it yet...

Dont know how you'd pull it off on a model car using spray bombs. Dual air brushes, and properly thinned paint would be my guess.

4. big creep

big creep

get an airbrush, they are not expensive you know...

5. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

Search the HAMB for Winfield and paint. There is a really good post about diluting color w clear and spraying.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Go to the hobby store and invest in a Badger spray gun. It'll change the way you paint models forever.

7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I've actually wondered the same thing since before I was your age.

If an air brush is not in the cards there might be a way.

Hold the vehicle far away and at an angle away from the spray can. Gently and quickly fog on a dry coat. Mask areas you don't want hit.

You will have to repeat this several times with different gymnastics each time. You should end up with a very dry, grainy fade. Wet sanding might lose the fade, so just clear over it and polish that.

8. 5lam

5lam

Yeah, I doubt you could pull it off on such a small area with a rattle can. An airbrush would be your only option in my eyes

9. I just tried to fade this gas cap with rattle can and it didn't turn out so hot. I don't think you could do a model like that from this experience.

[​IMG]

10. thanks for the advice, i do have a airbrush and will try using it on there.

should i put white primer on first? and how many different shades of gold should i use?

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I am far from a paint expert, but back in the seventies I tried and pulled off a fade paint job on a model. That was the first thing I did with my air brush and it was simple to do and looked really good. Do all your primer and body work, sand and lay down your base coat. Then thin out your fade color, and transparent colors work best for this. Pickout where you want you fade to begin and adjust your airbrush so it covers the whole panel evenly as possible, say from the top of the fender down. Laydown one light coat over this area. Let it tack up, narrow up the pattern of your airbrush, and laydown another coat slightly down from the upper edge of the first. Let it tack up, narrow you spray pattern up even more, and lay down another coat starting further down the side of the car evenly all the way to the bottom. repeat the process until your final coat is just the bottom tips of the fenders. Your just building up layers and graduating your color from light to dark as you go...

12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Airbrush....is a must....
    This is one of my sons masterpieces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]