Register now to get rid of these ads!

King bee style headlight lenses?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mtd, Jun 6, 2013.

1. mtd

mtd
    from FL

I have a pair of the repro king bee style 7" headlights with the h4 bulbs,
    I need a replacement lense or a pair , can't seem to find anyone carrying just the lenses - any ideas where to find them? Thanks

2. mtd

mtd
    from FL

3. how about just using a 6014 bulb in them?

4. I dropped one of mine & I ended up doing this on both. They also look way better than the old lense.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I've never seen a King Bee with a separate reflector and lense. Didn't know you could do that. I thought the purpose of King Bees in the first place was to use the "new" sealed beam units.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was going to reply change the sealed beam.

7. alchemy

alchemy

I think I get it now. The H4 that the original poster is talking about is a Halogen bulb inside a non-sealed beam glass housing. All these modern terms/part numbers cornfused me.

8. Alchemy,
    Mine had Hellas in them when I got them. I removed them and put sealed beams in them they look better that way, at least to me.

OK not to hijack but someone removed the King Bee tags from mine before I got them if anyone has a pair of totally trashed king bees and wants to donate the tags to me.

Anyway back to the ptiginal question I have not found a source for lenses for H-4 conversions yet my experience is that you have to buy the complete unit. Maybe contact Hella and see if they will sell just the lenses or know a soucrce.

9. alchemy

alchemy

A decade ago I bought two cases of NOS sealed beam units. Tender old AC boxes from the 1960's. I've got a lifetime supply for all my King Bees (and Arrows, and BLCs, and Guides, etc).

10. F&J

F&J

This thread reminded me of two beams I have, that look like sealed beams, but do have a replaceable bulb. They came out of a 1948 firetruck. If I can find them, I will take a pic for ID.

They have the same style glass "lens" as a sealed beam, but the back is black painted steel, with a small bulb holder.

11. mtd

mtd
    from FL

Btt. Still looking for a replacement lense (or pair) my king bee with h4

Thanks

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Guide made the set I pulled from a Flxible bus - amber fog lenses ...

13. A while back I bought some from Rick Bales here on the HAMB. Repops but pretty nice tags. I'd heard he had some serious health problem but never heard how he is. Might try him. I think they were $20.00.

14. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

H4 designation are european e3 code headlights (lense are desigend for a sharp horizontal beam cut off). The H4 halogen bulbs have three prongs that fit inside the lens and reflector that are glued or fused together. you can find 7 inch H4 headlights on ebay for $19 each. Do not use the diamond cut reflectors as they spread the light in a random patern all over the place or just have spotlight beam patterns.