Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 edsel project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser1, May 1, 2013.

1. Well a wile back I traded a comet for this 58 Edsel Pacer that had been parked under a carport in Oklahoma since 1962.

Got held up on the 53 Fordillac so thought I would try to stop the rusting proses even thought it is under a car port.

Wound up sandblasting the hood front fenders and roof the rest was taken down to bare metal with a da
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body is actually in good condition just some minor dents(parking lot bumps)

shot the front end , roof ,rear deck lid and top of rear fender with Clausen Z-Chrome self etching primer.

[​IMG]

Blocked it once and looked good

[​IMG]

The rest will get shot with Vara-Prime and then Trans-star Euro prime classic for now the car will be white primer and gun metal gray on roof and rear fender insert

[​IMG]

A lot to do in 5 days looks like it may have to wait till sun to get the white primer and accent paint it fixing to turn to cold out side to shoot paint

May in Texas and we get a cold fount

got a 390 fe and a c6 to go in it for power( current motor locked up)
    and a brake job and some glass and it will be a driver

2. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

:D please do not gasserize this edsel !

3. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

:D please do not gasserize this beautiful factory custom Edsel !

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Looks like a fun project. I went to the showroom, the day that car went on display. There was a lot of hype. Too bad it was not what the buyers wanted to spend their money on. After the dealership close the dealer when on to sell Buicks successfully for 50 years.:cool:

5. No it will be a POOR BOY
    (ha a new class of cars not rat rod not finished just cheep fun)

It will get a mild 390 and C-6 come from the 69 f-100 shop truck we put a 302 EFI motor in (no cost).

Probably power disc brakes (due to the idiots out there) this will cost around $600 but must be safe.

Just enough body work to make it look killer from 10 foot.

Will be primer white (Uro prime so it wont rust) with some paint left over gunmetal gray paint (no cost).

Radiator new aluminum around $200 cant have it over heat when cruzen

Cheep set of seat covers

Stock rally rims from a 78 Chevy PU Yep the Edsel's have the Chevy truck wheel pattern

Got cold but in 3 days I got the Roof, front fenders, Hood, Doors, and RR quarter panel done still have LR fender and deck lid to do

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

POORBOY "some thing done strictly for fun with little or no money and borrowed stuff"

ANY ONE KNOW WHERE TO GET THE TRIM CLIPES CHEEP (I have found them but $2.95 each time 48 just for rear fenders is kind of price )

6. Motor is waiting for the cam kit. Going with a Lunati 268/276 Voodoo Hyd cam kit should have been here Friday wound up with standard crank and 10over pistons, new valves, high volume pump, all bearing and seals modified the main oil holes( there off set on the FE)

And painted it factory colors YECK yellow and white

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Movinman

Movinman

Looks good! The color on the motor kinda makes it look like a little Cat diesel!

8. yep it is cat yellow and polar white

I figured since the car last ran in 1961 the motor was probably was un touched

I found a peace on the motor and after many cans of yellow, cat yellow was the closes.(just a little more orange)

not my most favorite colors for a motor but want it to look original under the hood (but the fe motor is nowhere near stock)

Cam came in today so motor will be done this weekend all clearances are stock ( was a little hard finding .001 over bearings after polishing crank and the stock bearings did not fall in specs on 2 mains and 4 rods) all that's left is spring height and degreaing the cam) and all I will say is it is not a 361FE that came from the factory.

trans kit will be here Friday so it should be done by Monday to.

9. NHMike

NHMike

Looks great. The color combination looks awesome!

10. Great looking car. I just bought a triple pink 58 2 door corsair. I intend to make it look like it was hot rodded with the late 60's early 70's muscle look...

11. Send me a P.M. and I"ll give you the information to acquire the E 400 decals for the valve covers.

Its a lot cleaner and easier than attempting to paint them on.Ask me how I know.

Oldmics

12. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Cool and different. What about going with the black steelies instead of the truck wheels?

13. Well the bottom has been blasted with Black Diamond, then painted with DuPont semi gloss and finely new under coat

Rear end got all the bearings( 2 axle, 2 carrier, 2 Pinion, 1 support bearing & axle seals, pinion seal) and 3.0 gears

new rear shocks complete brakes (wheel cyl, shoes, hyd kits, hoses lines and master cyl)

front end got upper and lower bushing, ball joints, inter and outer tie rods, sway bar bushing and shocks

hope to finish the suspension and brakes tomorrow so the motor and trans can go back in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

Cool. Something different.

15. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

16. sololobo

sololobo

Awesome work bro, love the big E's ~sololobo~

17. parklane

parklane

Don't stop now. Very nice.

18. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

CAT YELLOW is not so close to FACTORY yellow.... It was pretty bright yellow, not brownish like CAT yellow.

19. edsel.fi the reason for the cat yellow is I like to use a quality spray bomb to paint the motors. (use to match to car color's or maker but I quite building show car a long time ago) now I build drivers and the colors just need to be in the ball park and easy to duplicate when parts need changing ( Hate opening a hood and seeing multitude of colors).
    Now I try to find a close color that will not change and most factory rattle cans will always match year to year and batch to batch
    Cat Yellow (Edsels)
    IHC Blue(for fords)
    ect
    I guise I could have hand matched the color and hoped nothing ever failed but easer to get some thing closes that will be around for a long time so when the water pump or something ells fails I can buy a can of paint and it will be the same color:D

20. The motor trans and exhaust are in
    Trans was rebuilt with raybestos clutches and band built servo and tci valve body with a Hurst convertor 2500-2800 stall.

so basically everything drive line wise is rebuilt so should be able to drive it any where

[​IMG]

Muffler are true flow a copy of flow masters kept the pipes on the small side only 2 1/4 duels

[​IMG]

Gas tank should be here today then the left side tail pipe can go in
    order one for 57-59 ford and from what I could find out only the filler neck is different so will use part of the neck from the old tank to lengthen it

21. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great job on an awesome Edsel!

22. Shackman

Shackman

Could I please get the info on the stickers. I tried painting but stickers would look more clean. Email is [email protected]. Thanks

23. Poor Edsel just sits under a tarp in a car port, sold the engine and trans all most 2 years ago. Some one wanted it bad and had the right amount of money so out is came and away it went to Kansas. I got side tracked with other projects maybe this winter it will find its way back in to the shop. Thinking about a 532 stroker guise I need to start looking for a good 460 block

24. I'm just a few hrs east of you and THIS has a good 460/c6 bolted in it... 20151226_152118.jpg

25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am surprised the rearend was not missing. The '58-'59 Edsels used the same rears as the '57-'59 Fords, narrow 9"ers.

26. RmK57

RmK57

58 Edsels had the 5x5 wheel bolt pattern except the wagons which have the same small 4.5 bolt pattern.

27. In 58 the Edsel came in two varieties, the Citation and Corsair were built on the larger Mercury platforms and had the 5x5 wheel bolt pattern, the Ranger and Pacer models used the smaller Ford platform with the 4.5 pattern. All of the wagons were built on the Ford platforms also.

28. I can tell you mine is a 58 pacer it sat since 1962 and it has 5x5 just like a chev pu and the drums for it were not available I had to get some for I think early 60 ford might have been Mustang (I do not remember) and redrill them to 5x5

Now being an EDSEL, I would not dought that some were 5x4.5 and some were 5x5 you have to remember a lot of parts were taken from the ford line in the start of the Edsel production make it fun some time to find the right parts