Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pick Your Moonglow

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jun 3, 2013.

?
  1. Version 1

202 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. Version 2

26 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Version 3

67 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Version 4

12 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Version 5

19 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Its Version 3 for me

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like #1 with the chrome parking lights still on it.

4. Version #1 for me and not only because I like the look the most. The first version carries more significant historical value because Steck apparently built it in his driveway and by the time the later versions came along, the car had already probably inspired countless others to build something similar. All of the versions are way kool though and it's a shame that the car wasn't saved.

5. jivin jer

jivin jer

My first "good car" was a '54 Chev B/air 2door post and I always was impressed with the moonglow. Fantastic build story. Typical SoCal neighborhood (driveway) build. I've never stopped thinking about it. DEFINATELY inspirational. Maybe someday... Something LIKE version 3,4.
    My version of the ultimate '53/'54 B/air build.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. froghawk

froghawk

I think version 1 for me since we're talking restoration of the original car. Definitely prefer the front with the '54 grill bar and parking lights. And it was already low enough at that point!

As blasphemous as it might be though to combine versions, I'd be seriously tempted to paint it in that silver-blue metallic it appears to be in those shots of version three (seems more true to the name). Maybe a more restrained scallop treatment, too. I'm sure there're plenty of HAMBers here who'd set me on the righteous path if I ever was lucky enough to perform such a sacrilegious act!

7. I am with Froghawk 100% on this one.

8. R Pope

R Pope

#1 does it for me, too.

9. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Version 1 here also, there is just something about it, it looks so clean.

10. bgaro

bgaro

i gotta agree, version one for me too. although i've always liked exhaust exiting through the rear bumper as mentioned in version two.

11. #1 for me. Less is more in my book.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I like 3, but they all look good.

13. Torchie

Torchie

Of all the customs that were around long enough to be revised I have personally rarely found any that look better than the first build.
    It seems to me that the 2nd and sometimes 3rd versions where done in an attempt to
    "Update the car" to the then current trends and did nothing for the looks except in some cases (Not all)put them over the top.
    Torchie.

14. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Tough call. I like the 1st version, because its the original. but maybe # 3.

15. eddie1

eddie1

Version 1 because it is the original.

Also, right or wrong, I agree with your statement of the 3 distinct build styles & hope to one day finish my 51 Ford sedan in that mid 50's subtle style.

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Version 5. Those hooded headlights are the cat's meow. In that guise, it looks more like an east coast car - a good one. Second for me would be version 1 because it is so clean, simple, and well-done.

17. What's the difference between 3&4 ?

I like # 3 but I'd eliminate the scallops off of the hood and leave the rest if them as they are.

18. Mercchev

Mercchev

#1...original and timeless.

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I'd say #5 but I just can't get into the hooded lights, as well as I like the look #1 has going with the front signals.

20. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

#1 gets my vote as well.

21. Of the versions listed, it's #1 for me....but given an option of 1a (version 1 with bumper exhausts), I'd take it!

22. JP racing

JP racing
    from south bay

23. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

WOW! Does this car bring back memories of my first car. My father purchased the 54 hardtop for me when I turned 16 in 1957. I was thrilled to death but all of my friends had Fords. I stuck by my father and together we built my version of "Moonglow". I spent all of my extra dollars building the car and kept it through high school and college. I finally sold it to leave for the Army and never saw it again. I think Moonglow proved that chopped Chevrolets could compete with the Mercurys and shoeboxes of the era. I won several trophies at various shows and even drove it from Decatur, IL to Detroit to compete.

My choice is #1 which is what I remember from the cover of Rod & Custom or Car Craft.

Thanks for posting this wonderful car and its history.

Attached Files:

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'd like to see #5 with turn signals. Just looks bare there.

Got to follow the herd and choose #1 too. Baah.

Absolutely don't care for the scallops. Sorry, Larry, wherever you are. Great job on the blue, though.

25. i cant decide. there are little things about each version i like. but there are things i dont like. i do think the scallops were a bit to much. just to say i did it i will pick number 5.

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ill join the heard and say #1 but maybe add the scallop paint job, that i have no clue other then a front plate, caps and maybe a hair lower what the difference between two of those versions are and finally this photo is awesome!

Its got that awesome purple coupe behind it, whats its name the lunar lander, lunar invader? something like that?

27. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a version #3 guy, but #1 is right there too.. I have a framed pic of #3 at home.

I don't mind the Macklemore song either, I have a lot of friends in that video, We're pretty proud of Ben!

*edit* Now that I'm thinking more on it, In high school shop class in the mid 90's the teacher brought in a bunch of car mags, and there was a Rod&Custom that had a bit about Watson in it, and there was that pic of the #3 version of the moonglow. That pic is what ruined me, right there on the spot. Changed my young impressionable ass forever. :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  28. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

My vote goes to #1. Simple & clean, less is more. Like what was mentioned, it looks like something you could build in your driveway.

29. #1, Timeless classic. Ryan, I'm with you with the idea of 1957 being the last of the good looking cars on the show circuit. However, this style of car (#1) was still being built in southern California into the mid '60s. Here's a classic example...

Attached Files:

30. #3 just screams Moonglow to me.