Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 Ford Y block engine /trans adapter,anyone make one ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wfopossum, Jun 2, 2013.

1. wfopossum

wfopossum

I found a 47 Ford tudor with no motor and was wondering what kind of trans/engine adapters are or were available to fit the trans on these cars besides sbc adapters. If I can't find a good flathead I was thinking a Y block would be a cool alternative to a flathead,and still be Ford. I'd like to build the car 50's era hotrod style,so thats why I was thinking of the Y block also,any input would be appreciated.

2. teddyp

teddyp

hope you find adapter for the y-block

3. F&J

F&J

a fun and easy swap is a 49-53? Cad motor, and you can get repro hurst front mounts that drop right on the Ford front rubber biscuits, and the adapter is just a flat plate and a crank bushing from speedway.

Cad is slightly easier than Olds due to no starter issues with the Cad.

Yea, I know you want Ford in Ford, but when i did the olds swap, I honestly had fun doing it.

4. I saw a y block to early ford trans adapter on ebay yesterday.

5. They used to make adapters for most anything into a Ford.

6. I just looked there are four y block adapters on there now. A Crager , a Wilcap , an Offenhauser , and a Speed Gems. Seems like quite a selection.

7. wfopossum

wfopossum

Thanks,I didn't think to check ebay,the caddy engine would be cool also,I'll have to do some more research.

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

9. wfopossum

wfopossum

How much horsepower/torque can the stock ford 3 speed toploader/banjo rearend handle ? I'm thinking 150-200 HP.

10. NAPA made a spin on oil filter conversion part # 4119. If a regular Ford filter is too long try one for a Mercury Capri or Pinto.

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Y Block, in a 46 -48 Ford....Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!! The driveline will be ok, as long as it's driven with a bit of finesse; No clutch poppin' burnouts,.........

Happy Roddin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

12. Movinman

Movinman

There is a Y block to early Ford adaptor available here in the HAMB classifieds. I believe the seller is asking $225.00. Just put Y block in the search engine and you will come across it.

13. PH16 is the short one .