Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new ride - 1960 GMC - "The Great Pumpkin"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShastaStyle, May 18, 2013.

1. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Well after 9 months of looking following the sale of my 59 Apache I finally found my next truck. IT's a 1960 GMC shortbed, fleetside, big back window, with a 283. Lots of ideas already floating in my head, and of course the non-hamb friendly wheels will be gone in short order. It's been a long day going to get the rig so I'm beat, but I was excited enough to post a few pics tonight. I'll follow up with more pictures and details at some point this weekend. I'm going to try and chronicle my work this time via this build thread.

Attached Files:

2. Cute, very cute!

3. I had to check out this thread when I saw the title. Back in the 80s and 90s my buddy had an orange '57 3/4 ton that we always referred to as "the great pumpkin."

Congrats on the new truck. It looks good (well...except for the wheels). I didn't realize you had sold your '59. Did you keep the custom Shasta shift knob?

4. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Thanks Saxman. Yes, I most certainly held onto the fine work that you did on my Mt. Shasta shift knob. It is one of my prized possessions! The new GMC is an auto with a lokar shifter, but I think they make a conversion that allows you to use a standard shift knob. I'll be looking into because it wont feel like my truck without that knob! Haven't gotten around to taking any more pictures yet, but this was it on the trailer yesterday. Planning to start going over it and cleaning up some stuff tomorrow so I'll take some then.

Attached Files:

5. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

I spent most of last night and this morning just going through the boxes of stuff that the prior owner gave me. I was pleased to find the GMC letters for the grill and a nice rear view mirror stamped "Made in USA." Found the door latch and linkage for the passenger side door so I put that together and now have a door that shuts! Unfortunately didn't find any wiring for the taillights and front parking lights. Will need to get that stuff to get on the road. Anyway, here are a few pics.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the smoothed dash, but it's already starting to grow on me. I will have to figure out how to set up heater controls some day though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will need to do some little stuff under the hood to suit my tastes...paint the block a different color, swap out the ugly HEI distributor, plug wires and air filter. Looking for some headers already and maybe an intake. It currently has an Offenhauser dual-port 360, which I've heard aren't that great. Anyone have happen to have first hand experience with them?
    [​IMG]

One of the things at the top of my list is to get a mechanical fuel pump because it is currently running a crazy electric pump and filter setup by the tank and aside from leaking from the fittings it is the loudest thing I've ever heard!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for now...
    [​IMG]

6. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Got lucky and scored a set of freshly powder coated stock rims off of Craigslist today. I was worried it might take me a while to find some. Can't wait to get the truck sitting on some proper rolling stock!

Attached Files:

7. TxRat

TxRat

Nice truck. I like it!!

8. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

You mean that someone besides me doesn't like, (i.e. hates) those ridiculously tall rims and o-ring tires? Me, I think that I'd go with either Cragar S/S or American Torque-thrust D with nice fat tires.
    COOL!
    I like the truck but the Ford Grille does look a bit strange on a GMC. I want to see it when it's all done. Maybe by then I'll get used to the idea.
    But look at it this way. It's different! :)
    Uh, that is a Ford F-100 grille isn't it?

Robert

9. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Thanks guys!

Robert, no you arent alone!! If I was going to do at 5 lug conversion I would do something a little different...probably some Supremes...but Im sticking with 6 lug for now. The grille is actually a GMC grille just with the letters removed. Ill be putting them back and with a front bumper it should look better!

10. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I thought the 60's had the big batwing hood, it has the 60's style wing windows.

11. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

You are correct, the 60 and 61 had the unique hoods. The prior owner swapped it out for a 62 style Chevy hood. Wish he would have at least held onto the original, but oh well!

This is what the stock front end looks like on a 60 GMC.....
    [​IMG]

12. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Amongst other things I'm going to do some work on getting tail lights and parking lamps working this weekend. Getting the bezels, lenses, etc. in place is the fun part, but dealing with the wiring certainly isn't my favorite. Hopefully all goes smoothly.

Attached Files:

13. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

Nice ride!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. servi53

servi53

15. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Well, I've made some progress over the past week. Continued the clean up under the hood and inside the cab. I'm using a blanket left over from my 59 on the seat bottom until I can get new seat upholstery. I put some sound deadener in the doors, installed door weatherstripping, cleaned the floor and used some POR15 on raw floor welds from the prior owner. I have the tail lights and running lights installed, but don't have them wired yet because I got side tracked on swapping out the electric fuel pump for a mechanical edelbrock performer pump. Ended up needing some fittings that weren't available at the local autoparts store so had to wait until today to run into Sac and grab them. She's all plumbed up now though. I also got my Firestone tires this week, but received the wrong tires for the rear and had to send them back. Replacements are on their way, but I got the front two mounted so I'm 1/2 HAMB friendly now. Pretty pumped that I managed to get set up with wheels, tires, lugnuts etc. for just under $500. I should be able to get more than that selling the 20's to some poor soul.

[​IMG]
    This was the seat when I got it, pretty filthy and a nice duct tape patch (guy didn't even both using black duct tape, sheesh!:rolleyes:) Followed by the pic of it cleaned up a bit. Happy with it for now, but plan to go with tuck-n-roll when the time comes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black lump on the floor is my girl Bella bon Schnauzer. It's hot in Nor Cal this week and she hasn't been enjoying the heat in the garage too much!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ya think the new tires will be a little easier to turn with manual steering than the old ridiculous ones?! :eek:
    [​IMG]

16. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Hey Shasta nice ride. Wheels much better, I love this generation of trucks, I was taught to drive in one a long time ago.

Good luck Andy

17. mattrod68

mattrod68

i cant beleive some one was driving that truck with those wheels and manual steering!!!

looking good

matt

18. sheltonk7

sheltonk7

Nice knee knocker

19. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

I got my rear tires mounted and had a hell of a time wedging the old monsters out of the back wheel wells. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned without leaf spring suspension in the rear and until I unhooked the shocks I was stumped as to why the rear suspension wouldn't drop down. Didn't help that it was 105 degrees today!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  20. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Nice! I like the lack of bumpers, looks smooth.

21. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

22. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Well I've been making progress slowly but surely. Took it for it's maiden voyage last night and the rear end rode so rough that I turned around a block from my house and came back. Something was clearly wrong and it was the rear shocks from the prior owner that were crap and too short. Went to O'Reillys this morning and picked up some Monroe 32207's which I know a lot of guys run on the back of these trucks when lowered and it made a big difference. I still need to work on repositioning the rear shocks because they are at a pretty good angle. Anyway, thought I'd post a few crummy pictures from my cell phone. Hope you all have a great father's day weekend!:D

Attached Files:

23. mattrod68

mattrod68

diggin the caps, need some used white bumpers in the same condition to tie it all together. nothing like that maiden voyage, there's always a small problem!

matt

24. jhaas63

jhaas63

Nice looking truck bud.

25. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Got the pumpkin out on the road this morning for a Sunday drive! Stopped to take this picture and a couple walking their dog came over asking about the truck and wanting to know if it was for sale. I laughed and told them I had just purchased it a month ago and this was the first time I was getting to really drive it. Great feeling to be cruising an old truck again:D

Attached Files:

26. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

I haven't had too much exciting to post about, but recently got some goodies to install so I've made some progress. Replaced the HEI distributor with a Pertronix distributor and flame thrower coil along with new Pertronix plug wires and some Autolite 306 plugs. Definitely seems to run better with this set up. The prior owner said he thought the HEI distributor was going bad anyway.

Also got a shiny new water pump, but before installing I've been trying to flush the cooling system. I drained the old coolant and have been running some prestone radiator flush and straight water through the system. Despite being on round 4 I'm still getting dirty brown fluid coming out. Do you guys think I'm I just wasting my time and should just take the radiator out to have a shop hot tank it?

Attached Files:

27. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Thanks Scharley.

I received my long awaited GMC grille insert yesterday, which I bought from a fellow HAMBer. Sanded it down, sprayed er' black, and installed my chrome letters this evening. I'm stoked! It was really bothering me that my truck didn't have the GMC lettering in the grille...it just looked strange to me without it.

Attached Files:

28. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Took a little spin through the neighborhood just now and had a good photo op by the park. Have a good evening guys.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nice truck - I'd certainly rock it !