Register now to get rid of these ads!

Race car panel wall hangers....post pics here.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Jan 4, 2007.

1. I have had this Willys coupe door hanging on my shop wall for close to 20 years now. I think old panels from race cars make great wall hangers. I bet I'm not the only one, what do you guys have hanging in your shops?
    [​IMG]

2. Here's a picture of the car it came off. It came from Ventura or Oxnard, CA and was destroyed in a top end crash at Irwindale when it got airborne and flipped. The door must have came off early because the rest of the car was destroyed. I was told it was the cars first outing but I have since seen a picture of it leaving the line at Lions so maybe it was the second outing.
    [​IMG]

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is part of the panel above the deck lid on a '23 T Altered that crashed hard, I've had it for around 30 years. If anyone has a photo or info on the car I'd like to know about it. One item I couldn't pass by at a flea market years ago.:)

Attached Files:

4. Clark

Clark

I've got these 28/29 hood tops covered in Mexican or Cuban signage. Not sure if it was off a race car or what.
    Clark

Attached Files:

5. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Kewi,
    You sure know how to start some cool threads.
    I hope this one gets as many posts as some of your others!

6. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Not a race car door ,but My dad just recently bought a 28/29 roadster pic up door that says Goodyear on it with a big dent in the center of it at an estate auction. The building it came out of was a service station in the 20's and 30's that sold Goodyear tires. We figure it came off the shop truck. It will be going on the wall.

7. A friend of mine who raced in the 60's recently let me scan some pics he took the night they crashed the Willys. My friend raced a Henry J at the time and was on his way home from Lions. In Newbury Park he saw the remains of the Willys coming back from Irwindale and took some pics. As you can see most of it fit in a pickup bed!
    [​IMG]

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That door is frikkin cool ,I have a few, A nose from the late Kenny Irwin's Silver Crown car after winning the Springfield Mile,Steve Moorheads autographed number plate of his AMA Flat tracker and Mark Kinsers hood side from the 5M outlaw sprinter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Easy $2500.00 bucks hangin on your wall there Kev. Carl Hagan

10. The door is fiberglass but I love like it was steel.

11. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I've got the rear-clip of a '64 Chrysler Limo hanging on a wall in my garage. Nothing really special actually.
    It's from my old '64 Newport I parted out some years back.
    It's only hanging there so it's out of the way and doesn't take up any floorspace. I had planned to turn it into a benchseat one day... O well, you all know how that goes... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oops, missed the "race" part in the title.... my bad. Ignore my crap please....

[​IMG]

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have the scalloped hood off of Leroy Smith's 29 sedan.

13. Got this off a Super modified....
    [​IMG]

It's not off a Willys... but it's a Cool piece!:cool:

14. Lucky77

Lucky77

Here's my pride and joy: It's the driver's door off fab32's old boss and Hatch's new best friend, Ed Howe's 1967 car. Any circle trackers from Michigan or the midwest for that matter are probably familliar with Howe Racing Ent. and Howe Chassis. The picture of the car is from Spartan Speedway 1967 and I found it at www.mstrc.com

Attached Files:

15. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

You bet ..Howe, Spartan Speedway! Been there .. Ive got an old pic of the super my dad used to wrench on at sandusky speedway.. Cool stuff.
    Dave

16. Lucky77

Lucky77

Oh yeah, My buddy had this door leaning aginst a tree in his back yard for a bout 20 years. He bought it from Howe and put it on his racecar and I lusted after it everytime I went out there. About 8 years ago my girlfriend at the time rushes in the room and says "Hurry up Ed Howe is waiting for you!" She got me the door and set up a time to have me meet Ed and have him autograph it. Pretty cool, he was and continues to be a hero of mine. He couldn't believe his old door survived all this time.

17. Not a race car panel but here is the top of a 3 pc hood I bought at the LA Roadster show swap meet for $50. It is from an early rod for sure. I think the louvers are hand hammered in, they vary in length. It goes from 30-31 cowl to 32 grill and judging by the side panels, also louvered, I'd say it was a channeled car. Another thing bought at a swap meet that I didn't need but it sure makes a bitchen wall hanger.
    [​IMG]

18. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

The Ed Howe door reigns supreme! I really enjoy racing history, and few on this board may not realize the contributions to stock car racing that Ed Howe has made.A little known fact is that he was the first to use aluminum heads on a stock car, and the headers he designed 35 years or so ago are still being used today.Back then they raced dirt and pavement with the same car.

Seeing the aftermath of the Willys was hard to digest.I just watched a video on Youtube of a blue Willys (recently built straight axle gasser) that got out of the groove and barrel rolled.It too was steel.

I have the real bumper cover off of Gary St. Amants championship winning ASA car...does that count?

Neat thread.

19. scrape

scrape

this was cut of a 57 hardtop (old gasser that burned) befor it was crushed.... the out line on the letering was done in goldleaf.....

Attached Files:

20. Roadsir

Roadsir

No picture but this year for fathers day I reunitied Dad with an early modified dirt track Model A sedan body that he built in Jun of '70 . Friend of a friend of a friend type a deal thought someone had both sides hanging on their garage wall. Sure enough went and looked it it had remnants of the blue metallic paint and number 14 on it. Have pictures of me sitting on the back wheel of the car too.

21. hatch

hatch
    from house

Lucky77....Yeah...Ed is cool....but who is this Fab32 you're talkin about????

22. Lucky77

Lucky77

I'm not sure, he might have been the guy that swept the floors up there in Beaverton.:D :p :eek:

23. Scrape.... that panel is cool!
    Here is a 'glass 32 fender I got at a swap meet just to hang up. Cheaper than an old sign and twice as cool.
    [​IMG]

24. OldiesSpeedShop

OldiesSpeedShop
    from Ventura Ca

25. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I don't have any nostalgia type race panels but I do have a lot of dirt car bodies on my wall an ceiling. The one on the wall only had 3 laps on it when I was in a wreck ( not of own doing) and destroyed the rest of the car. My ceiling is covered. ImageUploadedByTJJ1365803368.170367.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1365803378.420204.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1365803389.036764.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1365803402.636904.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1365803414.620067.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. I saw this haning in an antique shop in Lake Elsinore, California

Attached Files:

27. OldiesSpeedShop

OldiesSpeedShop
    from Ventura Ca

28. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I doubt these ever raced.

[​IMG]

29. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

I have an autographed roof hatch off a John Force fuel coupe signed by many of the current NHRA Funny Car drivers... It's the real deal, still has smoke and oil stains.

Attached Files: