Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 ford roadster old custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by william sekulich, May 28, 2013.

1. william sekulich

william sekulich

hello, I was hoping someone would recognize this 1936 ford roadster which my dad purchased in the late 50s here in Pittsburgh pa . my father claimed it was a California custom . it had a Packard grille when he got it and had it removed . the flat head was missing and he put a 48 merc flat head in it . the car has a lot of lead in it . the fenders rumble seat and headlamps are leaded in it looks like it was sectioned and chopped .the doors have been cut down and there is no lead or bondo in them . i am a body man by trade with 35 years experience and the man who built this car was someone special not a back yard body man . i would like to maybe find a picture of it and some history to try to put it back to were it was before my dad removed the grill ect. thankyou for your help and great site ..

Attached Files:

2. Beau

Beau

I see some potential. The doors look a little goofy, but who knows! You must post more photos!

3. KKrod

KKrod

The headlights welded to the fenders looks like an old custom touch as do other details. Please post more pictures.

4. KKrod

KKrod

Looks like the body was sectioned but not the cowl?

5. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

That's what I was thinking, too.

6. carbuilder

carbuilder

More pictures please.

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

8. Rikster

Rikster

Very interesting.
    Do you have any old photos of it how your father bought it in the 1950's?
    Would love to see the Packard grille on it.

I do not recognize the car, but by looking at the one photo you posted it has a more east coast, or mid west feel to it than a California feel.
    The sectioning and cut away doors were not done that much on the west coats. But perhaps I'm wrong and was somebody from California inspired by the Coachbuilt cars he saw in and around Hollywood.

Hope you found out more about it.
    And yes, please share some more photos of it. Would love to see the back.

9. david_mark

david_mark
    BANNED

curious to see more pics of this

10. I like the proportions, it would be nice to see it with the Packard grille back in it.

What's going on with the front suspension? It looks like it's set too wide with whatever lets those Chevy wheels bolt up.

11. william sekulich

william sekulich

i got some more pictures . it has corvette independent suspension but im removing it .i put it in 20 years ago didnt finish and got married and had a daughter so the car got pushed in the corner . this weekend im headed to some u pull it yards and getting a modern disc rear . i worked on a 2007 mustang gt today at work and took measurements . my buddy got a machine shop so i dont think it will be a problem narrowing it . i want to keep it all ford .. i hope the pictures load

Attached Files:

12. william sekulich

william sekulich

few more

Attached Files:

13. That poor car has seen a lot. The door treatment looks pretty back yard. But it has a ton of potential!

14. william sekulich

william sekulich

15. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

The doors are a dead give away to the era it was built, i'd say at a guess that the owner / builder was influenced by the slim profile of european sports cars of the time.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. KKrod

KKrod

The cowl is sectioned. The hood looks like it is one piece clamshell. All the body lines are leaded. A lot of work went into this car.

It is possible that the doors were not always dipped. The door tops do not look as carefully done as the rest of the car. What does the dash look like? It looks to me more like a 40's build possibly.

Karl

18. F&J

F&J

Cool survivor the way it was built. Not for everyones tastes, but these builds need to survive.

Leave the disc brake rear in the junkyard, and find something more appropriate...pretty please ? :)

rear discs are not needed on a light car with a light tail. Plus it insults that car IMO

19. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I agree, you're not gonna be doing it any favors by installing a mustang rear end... that thing needs a columbia two speed or a regular ol' '36 rear stuffed with 3.54 gears. Neat old car, even with some of the funkiness.

20. It speaks to me, and here is what it is saying....Give me a new windshield treatment and slap some '49 Plymouth bumpers on me. Looks like a fun project, and the connection to your father is priceless.

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

This type of car was called a cutdown, The doors were an attempt to emulate the sportscars of the 1950s.

22. william sekulich

william sekulich

Thankyou . I want to loose the corvette stuff. I'm not sure what happened to the rear end that was In it. I think it was stock. It had a Lincoln zypher trans I think he said which is gone.. 3 speed on column . I like the drum brake idea on rear....

23. A full resto to how it was in the early 50s is fitting. Are you planning on reinstalling the Packard grille? Do you have any photos of it from the 50s?

24. FWIW your '36 reminds me of a Darrin bodied Packard.

25. william sekulich

william sekulich

I don't have any pics from when he got it. I wish I did.it would help. Yes I am.using the packard grille. I'm lucky I have it . The hood is really rough . Just sitting on there . I picked up a repo 36 grill thought it would be better to put the packard grille in new metal but forget it it doesnt come close to fitting the fenders were it mounts. There's a original 36 rear axle on avl local. Its cheap and close so in think ill check it out. Ill have the corvette front and rear out and for sale this week if some one needs them also have a 1950 lincoln parts car .willnthe 3 speed trans work with my 48 flat head ??

26. F&J

F&J

Take a look at hamber "gunswanted" car. It was in his avatar for a while, or take a look in his albums if he has one. Same door treatment, but a 32.

I love the many styles of late 40s to early 60s builds, rods, customs, or a mix. It's all good.

27. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I have some pics of the car in my profile also search piata and the thread should come up. Mine was built in 1948 and redone in 1952. I really like this 36 and I would like to see it with the Packard grill again. Killing me with the late model rear talk :p

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. Squablow

Squablow

Super neat car, would love to see it restored to just the way it was originally built.

29. That's a neat car. Undeniably cool.

30. b-bob

b-bob

This a friend's 34 with that same door treatment, i believe this one was done in the late fourties.

[​IMG]