Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nicson tripower for vintage build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 130driver, May 28, 2013.

1. 130driver

130driver
    from Canada

Hi folks. Looking to draw upon all the expert knowledge available. Have any of you seen/heard about this type of SBC setup? It is made by Nicson of Los Angeles and has 2G carbs on it. I have a shot at it to go with my vintage build but the price is big and I have never seen a SBC set up by Nicson, only one for 215/235 engines.
    I would appreciate any thoughts on what it is worth and if it is a decent setup.
    Many thanks guys. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. Were they not designed for boats? HRP

3. HRP got it right.
    Boat intake, ran 1 back in the day.
    Good setup.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think that you would be paying a premium for a rare intake. Only you can determine if the rarity of the intake is worth it to you. I think it's cool but not sure I'd pay a lot more for it. That is up to you. Some like me may notice but most of us will just see a boring 3 deuce set up. Especially with those A/Cleaners JMHO

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

Very cool set-up. So, would this work on a car? In relation to the filler tube, the location of the water inlet is in an unusual spot. (I wish mine was there, as I'm running a Mustang radiator, where things are reversed for a standard sbc intake.)

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Never seen one, I would be worried about the angle of the front leaning carbs ( for boat applications) depending on your engine angle. They do make adapters to "adjust" this ....................

7. 130driver

130driver
    from Canada

Many thanks guys. Much appreciated for the input.

8. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yeah, Tommy's right. Here's what you should do. Buy the intake & then trade me even-up for mine. I've got an amazing old Nicson air cleaner, sitting on top of a generic intake. That way you could have the Nicson look on top, where everyone can see it, and I can take those stinky old trips & that lame old intake off your hands.

[​IMG]

9. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I had one a few years back that I found on CL. But it used Ford 94s. I bought a linkage and some air cleaners for it, spiffed it up a bit. But then decided not to use it, mainly because I never had the right car for it. Sold it for $1200. It sold within a day if that gives you any indication on how often they come up. That was also back when people had extra income and before banks started collapsing. So, I would have no idea what it would go for in today's see-saw times.

10. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Just a thought but there is a market, perhaps not as big as the HAMB, for vintage marine equipment. I would buy it and start advertising on those sites. Traditional, just for water.

11. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

its a marine type application, and like brigrat. and hrp. state they usally have a 10to 18 degree angle for the carbs setting do to the wake of the water , i have seen a few gews mill wedges to offset this , are the carbs tru tripower units or are they plain janes that have been reworked , all this depends on the price and the girth of you billfold , but they are neat. good luck

12. Roy's ride

Roy's ride
    from Michigan

Although famous for marine speed parts, the Nicson Tri-power for the SBC is NOT a a marine intake. They were offered in 1956-57 as well as a 2x2 intake for your favorite Chevy in period. It was designed for the 265 and early 283. I run a Nicson 2x2 on a 265 and love it. The 2x2 was not designed to run progressive and I am not sure if you can run the Tri-power progressive like similar offerings from Edlebrock and Offenhauser. I would be happy to own it if you decide not to use it. Good luck with it.

Attached Files:

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Nice set up Roy!
    The OP asked me who made adapters for the diff. angle's, don't remember if I responded so here's some Offenhauser blanks and some home made ones, any of which could be milled to your application or needs. There are a few company's that make them just have to do a search.............

Attached Files:

14. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I've got a Nicson 2x4 for early Olds. They're as well made as they are rare. Nice piece. I'll trade you.

15. 130driver

130driver
    from Canada

Thanks to all for your help in making this decision. Sounds like I need to call the guy and say I will take it. Cheers,

16. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Nicson made a bunch of early hot rod stuff BEFORE they went marine....I have had a couple of Nicson intakes like the op and the value is kind of subjective....since theyre not well known..alot of guys arent looking for them. As for value...if an Edelbrock or similar is worth $250-$350 or so bare...I would say its worth a couple hundred more like $450-$550 or so...